1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Dragon - Small update March 22nd, 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by adamjones01101, 3 Sep 2004.

?

What paint scheme should I use? (Don't worry 'bout lighting, now)

Poll closed 30 Nov 2004.
  1. Rust/Industrial (like Piloux's HL2 mod, stripes and all)

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Really sleek, smooth, powdercoated, dark candy-red from Sumax

81 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

looking cool mate. Good to see end result;)

2. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Ok...I made some progress.

Here's the side panel from the nice side:
    [​IMG]

Here's the side panel with the dragon picture on it:
    [​IMG]

Here's the actual Dremel progress I made :dremel: :
    [​IMG]

Feel free to leave any comments! :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Nov 2004
  3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ambitious design; hope it turns out.

4. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

That panel's going to look sweet when your done! How long did it take you to cut that one side. I don't think I'd have the patience for that kind of work. Keep it up!

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

That design looks amazing. I wish I was more handy with a dremel. :dremel:

6. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

You arent going to fit a phase change cooling system in your case, no ifs buts or ands about it.

Google some of the home made ones, you gotta have a fatty copper spiral loop thingy for most of them to hold the pressure, and a normal waterblock will not work in the system, you will have to have one made for you.

I cant remember where i have seen a good majority of phase change systems, but im sure its on one of htose forums, oc or procooling, one of them.

7. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Check out http://extremeprometeia.com/, you wont find anything crammed into a standard ATX there, i'd love to see it done though! Love that window design too :rock:

8. m0s

m0s What's a Dremel?

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Channel speakers
    The best f0kkin 5.1 system ever made !!
    Uses it together with my HTPC and the sound is awesome !

9. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

I am looking forward to see the finish :jawdrop:

10. adamjones01101

Why all the negativity? Have faith, fellow Bit-Tech'er, I will make it work, and honestly, did you actually think that I would have begun this project without "googling" for info to begin with? And BTW, I'm also planning on machining my own block.

It took me about 2.5 hours to do that one whole section. I used that rotary cutter bit that I mentioned a few pages back, and I found out a few things:

1) Tungsten Carbide high speed cutter bit does not do a very good job with aluminum, in fact, it melts it, which then sticks to the cutter.

2) The other rotary bit, is extremely good for doing curves, and then polishing up the edges...I haven't even used a file of any kind yet with the case panel, and all of the sides are pretty much how I want them. The only problem with this is that the bit tends to wear out fairly quickly. I already went through one. I'm thinking I will need at least three more for the rest of the case.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  11. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

Hi there project looking good so far, but there are some things you NEED to know about phase change cooling befour you attempt to make a home made system as they can be dangerous:

1. They will operate at high pressure this not only means the compressor but almost every other part of the loop ie condensor(Radiator) ect.

2. Compressor get hot! and need cooling 60C is normal for the sort of compreesor you seem to have.

enough helf and safety advice i thing you could probably just about squeeze a full system in your case but its not imensily likely good luck though, and finally befour you do anything else head on over to the xtremesystems.org phase change forum at

here

12. adamjones01101

Some progress on the dragon panel...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The edges look really crappy right now, but that's because all of the metal dust around those edges stuck to the masking tape residue (which only stayed because the heat did something to it).

Feel free to leave some comments on my progress, as well as my cooling system concept! :thumb: :dremel: :D

Last edited: 25 Nov 2004
  13. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Dificult dremeling on the side window, but it looks very good so far :thumb:
    I am looking forward to see the finish :clap:

14. Zinet

Zinet What's a Dremel?

looking good! Have fun with cutting the side window :thumb:

15. dez

dez What's a Dremel?

niiice cuts, especially on such a tight design. keep it up :rock:

16. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Nice work, I hope you will keep up with the high-detail dremel work.
    As its very demanding, and precise.

Why would you place your Prom. in such a small case? I know it has been mentioned before... but those things tend to get quite hot!
    Don't want to see you frying hardware.. you do not have to prove you are the only modder around having all that in just a small LC60.

By the way, lots of cheap 6"/7" Hong Kong LCD (RCA) on Ebay.
    I'm checking them out for my own, maybe its something for you to think about :thumb: .

17. adamjones01101

Thanks for the comment on the Dremel work! :D Don't worry about me frying my parts, there will definitely be sufficient cooling in the case. I didn't start building the cooling system without this in mind. Also, don't forget, this is not a disassembled prebuilt! lol, it's an entirely custom-built system, from the ground up. Lastly, the reason I'm using the PSone LCD screen is because it is pretty easily wired up to use the VGA output on the videocard. I'm not really a big fan of the RCA output, because the resolution is nowhere near the resolution of VGA. However, here's some enticement for you: My next project is going to be a custom-built DIY LCD projector, mounted in my room, to make my room my own little movie theatre.

18. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

//Offtopic//

I've had the same idea before.. I stopped at the point where is was advisable to buy a high-res LCD that's small, so I could use the beamer as a computerscreen.
    I followed the lumenlab.com forums for quite a while. But hey, my money doesn't grows on trees. :duh:

//Ontopic//

Ofcourse i've noticed this isn't a prebuilt :duh: , and good luck on that :D .
    Well with LCD's that size I wonder if the quality matters that much. (RCA>VGA.)
    I've seen LCD's on Lian li's down the floppybays. Are you going to do the same?
    Or make some 'hefty pop-out' construction that amazes all of us! :rock:

19. adamjones01101

Actually, I was originally going to mount the LCD in the top 5 1/4 drive bay, and motorize it, but that idea bit the dust after I realized that I would have nowhere near the amount of room I would need. The idea still floats around in my head before I go to sleep, though. So yes, to answer your question, I am going to mount the LCD behind the front bezel in the 3 1/2 drive bays. This actually works out better for the overall fit, because the 3 1/2s can't be used for anything, as the compressor discharge tube backs up right into the space previously occupied by the drive cage. It'll be nice, too, to be able to change what I want when I want by pulling off the front bezel. (Again, the idea still occupies my brain, to motorize the screen in the drive bay!)

[offtopic]

Everyone seems to think I have all this money. lol. I really don't. I am just pretty resourceful when it comes to modding things. Ebay, the mesh, asking my parents for a Dremel for my brithday, etc...

[/offtopic]

20. adamjones01101

I'm torn...I cannot decide for the life of me what I should do as a paint job. I contacted Sumax, who does Orange County Choppers' powdercoating, since I only live two hours away, and they said they will gladly powdercoat my case when I am finished with my design, and at the moment I am waiting for a response back on the price. One option is to have a really sleek, smooth, powdercoated finish (done by Sumax), a deep candy red. My other option (which I really like, too), is to make it a rust/industrial paint scheme, kind of like Piloux's HL2 case.

In either case, I am using red case lighting, so don't try to get me to come off of that. I just want an opinion on what color I should make the case. Is rust too over-the-top? Would it take away from the focus of my case (the dragon cutout)? Or should I keep it as an option? I would love to expose Sumax to the computer modding world, as well, to promote their business in more than just motorcycles and household items. Who else would be interested in a powdercoating job done by the powdercoating gods of New York?