1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perforated, Maximum PC Rig of the Month! Aug 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bootupbuddha, 2 Sep 2004.

1. msb

msb What's a Dremel?

I liked it. But one thing what doesnt belong this case is that text in window, it's too clean.

2. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

So many thread crappers! Gosh!

I am very impressed by this mod, it's very original and it looks *VERY* nice. Excellent work!

3. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Cool mod work! impressive job.

4. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmmmmmmmmm not shiney but yet i still like it, especially the white grill metal stuff (forget the name) you got going all over the inside of the case, looks so sweet

5. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Thanks

Thanks for all the positive response's.... I will go into detail on the process in the next update (or the next after). You will be surprised how simple it turned out to be. Of course one of the reasons that the mod sorta went on hold was coming up with how to do the effects (that and time!). I need to refine it a little as I have been asked to do five matching cases!

1 :rock: 2 :rock: 3 :rock: 4 :rock: 5 – sweet!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The text on the window looks fresh for a reason. The inside is supposed to be clean and pristine since it has been sealed from all dirt, crud and whatnot. I figure the pc was meant to work in a mining environment in space and was carefully sealed and it stayed that way. Besides "There are no user serviceable parts inside." :D

I plan on doing a how-to on the power plug mod and will post it in the modding section eventually. Same pic's that are in this mod, just more detail in the text.

I am really in a hurry to finish this mod since I have been with out a gaming pc for sometime now and I need to put my dell optiplex p3 pc in my wife's office, so I haven’t taken as many pic's as I normally do. - Also I am in the planning stages for a 'KILLZONE' mod. I will be using some of the distressing techniques that I used in 'Perforated' plus a few that I came up with and haven’t used yet. :dremel:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2005
  6. bootupbuddha

I guess you could call it: mmmmmmmm Perforated metal....

Or you could call it the poormans way to make safty-glass..... :hehe:

7. bootupbuddha

Bar codes real, I used a bar code font - but I just typed random numbers into it.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Darn tasty! :thumb: Excellent work and great lateral thinking on the whole case resizing.

9. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

:D

10. chuck22689

chuck22689 What's a Dremel?

just a question is the navicom an AI version or not

11. PrometheusCon

PrometheusCon What's a Dremel?

aliens is one of my favorite movies. (i have "teh" quadrology... 4 movies of people getting pwned)

Good luck with it, but then again it already looks great. :)

question... is this suppose to go with the Aliens kind of WY or the predator and aliens WY?... or does it even matter? wait nvm...

12. bootupbuddha

to be honest I think it goes more with the comics and novels then with the movies.... but if they ever make a movie that has an abondoned mining company in it, then this 'prop' should fit in. :D

no AI sorry, its the poor man's version of an navcom. I'll explain later...

Update: uh sorry couldnt work on it this weekend. Had to work....

Last edited: 20 Jan 2005
  13. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

This has been asked before but, how did you do the decals? I am going insane trying to figure it out.

14. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Same Q.

Also gotta say sweet mod. Ive got the Quadrilogy and most of the novels (cept the movie editions) I new what this mod was all about when I saw the WY name...Dont know I missed it though....Great job.

15. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Wow, this case looks really amazing, great work dude :thumb:

16. bootupbuddha

Here is how I did the Stencils

Since I have been too busy driving my new car (suv) to make an update, I'll go ahead and spill on the decals....

I used a few techniques to create the overall look. I wanted the finish piece to have stock/factory markings, corporate logos, inventory/tracking stickers, government warnings and of course user placed stickers. I will try and cover all of them since I used three basic techniques for all the effects. Of course weathering is a different subject…

In this first pic we see a little plug for myself, pity I cant seem to get around to finishing my web site, and the winged detail that was used on the coffee mugs in the first Aliens movie. It was the chest-bursting scene.

[​IMG]

The wing logo was simply printed on my Inkjet printer on standard paper and glued with Tacky glue then protected with varnish… simple

I used the same technique on the ‘smiley face’ and ‘repair’ sticker. Here are pics of the actual art that I created in Photoshop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are after printing, cutting, varnishing and then weathering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bar-code sticker was printed on a laser printer on to the same paper used to print labels on cd’s.

In the next picture you see the Solaria logo along with the plug and play NAVCOM Device. I used three methods in this pic. For the Solaria text I based coated the panel black. Then I had a sticker just like those single color stickers that many people put on the back window of their cars. (At least they do here in the states) I placed the sticker down and made sure that there was no air bubbles and all the edges were flat and then repainted the panel white. A few minutes later I used an Ex-acto knife to peal up the sticker and that portion was complete.

For the NAVCOM lettering I used the same basic technique as above except that I used the negative of the sticker. – that’s the area of the sticker that surrounds the lettering. It is generally discarded. I had to do it this way since the box was already painted with hammered metal finish and hazard stripes.

For the Weyland – Yutani logo on the NAVCOM device, I hand painted…. It’s the only hand painted item… and its was the last. Without a doubt its my least favorite part.

[​IMG]

In the following pic, I used stencils for the lettering, except for the warning label and the toxic symbols – those were printed on my laser printer and glued on.

Well there you have it, pretty simple took me awhile to come up with it and only a few minutes to type it down. As to the weathering, well that was harder to come up with. I did a bit of resharce on the net and I really could not find anything. I scoured the net looking for all manner of prop making sites and came up with virtually nothing. Out of my need I came up with my own aging technique. I am going to have to keep it quite for a little while since I have a paying customer that wants five matching cases….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pic above shows the Weyland - Yutani motto 'Building Better Worlds' in Russian.

[​IMG]

In this pic, you see the only place that I actually used the sticker. Its in pristine shape because it is behind the safty-glass. - even though I have gotten requests from both friends and online buddies to age the glass - I wont be doing that. I want to be able to see the insides while the inspection lights are on...

and here is a little teaser on the custom wiring that I did.

[​IMG]

P.S. The reservoir is only for testing. thank you all and good night! I really need to get some sleep. I really hate Mondays. :miffed:

Last edited: 24 Jan 2005
  17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I know eveyones loved the 2 HL2 mods by piloux, but I really like this one more. It really turned out well, with an "equipment" feel to it. Awsome job.

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

please explain how that security card works. i know you said you typed it in barcode font but how does it actually work?

19. SJH

SJH Minimodder

This is amazing :jawdrop: I absolutely LOVE the aliens films and the thought of having an aliens-themed case never crossed my mind. You've made me want to make one of these now :p

This is definitely in my top 5 mods of all time :D

20. bootupbuddha

That’s a compliment indeed.

Well the card is a functional 16 meg card, though I am not using it for memory storage. Though it needs to be inserted in order for the power switch to work. I will detail that soon. - Wonder how many scifi fans know where your name comes from? Yum Yum!

Thanks, Alien mods have been done and really nice ones too, they tend to be made to look like they have been coated in alien slime. I wanted mine to look like it belonged in the alien world not necessarily in an alien invested one.
    :D

Last edited: 24 Jan 2005