1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Denon CD to PC HTPC - ***FINISHED***

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by QuinnDexter, 16 Mar 2005.

?

was it worth it?

1. Yep, looks the business

64 vote(s)
    83.1%
  2. nah, should have bought a Silverstone htpc case

13 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

what did you design the PCB in? I've been tnkering with eagleCAD, but I can't get the hand of it. Too many layers. I've got the component design down, but the lack of detialed tutorials online has all but stopped my progress. I'm adding a set of dvd control buttons to my HTPC, and I have a set of panel mount pushbuttons that I will prototype with, but I intend to make a custom PCB with 12mm momentary tactile pushbuttons and a 1x10 .100" pin header to connect to the VFD keyboard controler.

Are you going to etch it yourself? Or are you going to have it fabricated somewhere? pcb123.com and pcbexpress have reasonable rates for single board production if you want to have it done professionaly.

2. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

novarm dip trace, and i have no previous experience and found the tool pretty easy to get the hang of.

Im going to etch the board round at a friends house who does this sort of thing for a hobby.. he has all the miniture drills and saws and tools n stuff. so i should get a good show of how to do it..

3. QuinnDexter

another week, n more work.. seems like the end is never nigh!

after a change in heatsink to a thermalright and a panaflow fan the computer was actually running hotter, albeit much much quieter!! so i decided time was here to cut a hole in the top to release the heat!

i carefully measured and painstakingly cut with the dremel clone i have a rectangular hole.

[​IMG] - here it is covered in dust

next i cut up an old speaker grill i have previously removed from a 25" hitachi tv im using in my never ending MAME arcade machine build that is on hold again. [​IMG]

its the perfect size for my needs - it was epoxed in place and left to dry.
    [​IMG]

-----------

I've also had a bit of good fortune with a friend of mine, who was going to media pc up his house pre-wireless days and had an old 2x20 matrix orbital lcd display. and although i was informed that it wouldnt be clear enough behind a red filter it works a treat, ive been playing around with it for ages now.. the joy.

running lcdc it does all i could everwant it to!
    [​IMG]

its USB controlled (faking a comport)
    -----------

over the last 2 weekends ive been trying to do my first electronics bit, ive had some real bodges, learnt to solder (and re-solder) and amazingly my button proj works...

this is the original pcb
    [​IMG]

close up of my etched board with the diodes and connectors inplace

[​IMG]

the clean etched side.. luvrly aint she
    [​IMG]

the wiring of the buttons on the original board was very fiddly - soldering and cutting the tracks
    [​IMG]

and lastly the buttons i am using to control winamp and windows -
    [​IMG]
    they are the last ten on the right

4. QuinnDexter

my next task is to cut out the old vfd and fit my new one, and then mount it in the facia of the cd player.

still on the list.

-rear connection panel - this will be left to last after everything else is fitted
    -- consists of 1 RJ45 custom lead and connector
    1 svideo custom lead and connector
    1 left audio 1 right audio photo - custom
    2x USB ports

-front mic connector & fan speed control pot mounting
    -fitting of my rf keyboard mouse receiver (behind the front panel)
    -sand and repaint the lid ( not 100% neccessary but will make it shine like new)

install all the software and test

5. QuinnDexter

Any other media case converters out there? :eyebrow:

Last edited: 26 Apr 2005
  6. HilRam

HilRam What's a Dremel?

Really cool work, man! Yes indeed there are other HTPC-builders out there! (But I am not one of them. ;) ) For tips you could check out Ferox' project log "Be Quiet". He has posted it on Norwegian hw.no forum as well, and he really has some knowhow on both electronics and software setup for HTPC.

7. DistortedDesigns

DistortedDesigns What's a Dremel?

Yeah I am working on one right now for me as well as meltdown project. The one for me is a nice non working dvd triple stack componet. I have had to wait a little on finishing it cause I will have to buy some parts and I am flat broke right now.... go figure.... :duh: I have to get a all in one motherboard. It has to have built in everything sound , video, nick cause there is no room to have any cards. I have the processor but I will also need to get ram and a very cool vga to componet video coverter. I found the motherboard for $35, ram for around $40-50 and the converter for $35. I also found the coolest theater pc software for $50 and make sure to go thru all the free plug-in's.

Meedio

Plug-in's

I will be doing another theater pc for a friend in an old 1970's reciever.

8. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

yup, currently im (slowly) modding this amp:

[​IMG]

9. mieleton

mieleton What's a Dremel?

I have a plan with old VCR case. I'm wondering how I could make a mechanism that would flip the VHS slot cover, that I could hide the DVD drive behind it. So pressing eject button would flip the cover like ejecting a VHS cassette and then the drive tray could come out. The case has all the button panels and a VFD in place, so I'm going to use the old buttons, at least.

But, back to topic. This project looks really nice, and good work with the button PCB and wiring. It's always nice to see that the original features of the case are re-used. :thumb:

10. QuinnDexter

Wowsers... thats a nice case to have.

me wonders where you would put the dvd drive (top loading ;)?

Im actually using my htpc for the first time now in front of the tv.. the lcd is mounted and doing its lcdc thang.. just wish i could finish the i/o panel fix the bits n bobs and then done.

=====

mieleton - you got a project log going or are you doing this behind the scenes.. im really interested in seeing how others have tackled this type of mod. especially with a full atx mobo as i am using .. seems like everyone is goin for this ickle itx or epia boards -- just making life too easy if you ask me!! ;)

11. mieleton

mieleton What's a Dremel?

It's just in early planning. I just happen to have a broken JVC VCR and I need a case for my HTPC. After seeing the high prices of HTPC cases, I thought I could make one myself and learn some modding at the same time. :)

I think i'll posti something on the Modding forum after I get some initial planning done. I need to take apart the VCR and take dimensions. I think I could fit regular ATX mobo in it with AGP & PCI risers, but PSU is problem. Well, there's always those small Shuttle SFF PSU's...

12. QuinnDexter

tis what im using for power!!

the dvd drive should be enough to open the vcr drive flap too.. with some rubber band / springs to bring it back, should be fine

13. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

I was thinking a laptop slot loading drive, just above the bass trebble cut/boost filters(top left). However we shall see once i get paid so I can get sum hardware. Btw you inspired me to make an htpc case, just wanted to use an amp rather than a cd case

14. QuinnDexter

On with the work. For the last week i've mainly been installing software.. and codec packs :wallbash: :wallbash: and then reinstalling xp. I went with Meedio for the media software to run over xp. which as far as i can see is a great piece of software.

this is what i have been working with...
    [​IMG]
    you can see here that it almost looks complete.. its not ;) everything is working though. Front buttons, lcd, xp etc.

[​IMG]

more than happy with the LCD from matrix orbital.

[​IMG]
    case off front
    [​IMG]
    case off back.

as you can see here i have quite a lot to do with cable tidying. I need to get some shorter ide cables, preferably without the splitters in them so they are point to point only.
    [​IMG]
    I butchered the lcd usb cable so it would fit.. and yes that is normal sticky tape there.. not for long though.
    [​IMG]
    I found a great place for the button controller pcb, and will be fixing standoffs to mount it as soon as they arrive...

will also be shortening that cable as its way too long at the mo.

I also think i will have to create a new backplate as everything is in the wrong place.. including the fan i mounted (previous piccy).. so ill need some aluminium and some method of working it to shape.. something ive never atttempted before, you certainly learn a lot doing these things!!

15. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

how about some rounded ide cables and cable sleeving on the other cables. just to keep it clean

16. QuinnDexter

Eject button

ok.. decided it was time to get the last button i need on the pcb working .. eject.

I dont do this sort of thing often, dont have the bits n bobs i need a lot of the time and have to scavenge. I've found that the old innards have supplied me with lots of bits over the weeks on this proj. this time i needed a connector for the button pcb. I found the one i needed and the relevant plug on the old line out volume pot pcb...

[​IMG]
    (its the white one in the middle.

I then soldered this to the "prog" button as the eject button had no clearance with the mounting area it sits in. So ran some wires to the eject from this button

[​IMG]

Took the DVD writer apart and had the scary moment soldering to the eject pins, shaky shaky ;).. after putting back together i tested..

[​IMG]

and the money shot ;)

[​IMG]

I can tick off one more thing now, only 30 to go.. hehehe

17. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

good idea with the eject buttom

18. QuinnDexter

heres another update for the quiet ones..

I took another trip to maplins, finally got my new multimeter and started on the connectors for the back plate and the front reset button..

for the reset button i decided to keep the original switch that did "digital out" on off, and just splice the reset cable from an old pc on..

heres the soldering effort..
    [​IMG]

heres it fitted next to the fan controller pot
    [​IMG]

next was the svideo, i was afraid that there might be some interferance issues, but the guys over in the electronics forum helped calm my fears. the proof is in the pudding and it works a treat. its a short cable - bout 8cm, which will give me the mounting i need.

[​IMG]

next is a glory shot of the stuff i was really hesitant about using for fitting the original cd drive facia to the dvd writer, but the popular opinion won again. and it also works a treat.. mmmm treats..

[​IMG]
    CARPET TAPE.. whooda thunk it!

Next on my list of many was a proper fixing of the lcd display.. i bought some 3mm bolts and fitted them to the 4 corners of the lcd, at the same time with some black tape i masked off the alu parts of the lcd to hide it through the red filter.. heres the bolts fitted..
    [​IMG]
    -bit blurry sorry.

fitting standoffs - the standard mobo style, drilled a slightly smaller hole and used a woodscrew to start the thread.. then screwed in the standoffs.. here are 2 fitted.
    [​IMG]

and after the whole fitting, makes it just right.

[​IMG]

next.. next.. was the decision to do a new backplate..

took a lotta sweat. some blood and me trusty hammer that i havent been able to use untill now on this proj.

but here it is after the dremeling, sanding, bending etc. paitience grasshopper.

[​IMG]

compared to the f**ked up original [​IMG]

all created using this vice (and my hammer)

[​IMG]

small aint it!

but in the end it was all worth it.. as its a loverly fit.. heres hoping that phase 2.. cutting all the wholes works out better than the mod on the original..

[​IMG]

more work on its way. feel free to jig me on with some comments, good or bad :D

19. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Looking sweet!

It seems to all be coming together perfectly, something that is allways a bonus when modding :D

keep it up :)

20. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

great work, can't wait to see it all cleaned up.