1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 10 series prices and z490 prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 13 May 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

CPU's

Motherboards

So they're looking quite expensive still, around £100 or so more, but higher clockspeeds potentially :/

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Rough list on how they fit into the sandwich based on price:

£750: R9 3950X
    £500: i9-10900K
    £440: R9 3900X
    £400: i7-10700K
    £330: R7 3800X
    £300: R7 3700X
    £270: i5-10600K
    £210: R5 3600X

Last edited: 13 May 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I paid £680 for my 3950x. 3900x was on Amazon yesterday for £380.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-...dchild=1&keywords=3900x&qid=1589400635&sr=8-1

£408 today. So those Intel prices don't line up with what we saw. However... OCUK are proper gougers. They were charging £800 for the 3950x when it launched in short supply. So those could be inflated prices but we will have to see I guess. Either way they are far, far too high. I see price cuts coming from AMD tbh.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

We'll find out in a week!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Yeah seriously don't ever trust OCUK on launch. Scan are just as bad.

Fingers66 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

7. Vault-Tec

I usually always buy from OCUK. I just don't agree to, or pay their gouge prices. Their customer service is the best though, and their guys are very approachable and sort things fast. But yeah, it's funny how they are the most expensive yet because of their buying power when they are cheap they are the cheapest easily.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

When something is new there are never discounts and Intel have rarely needed to anyway, when you can sell all you can make why lower prices.

9. Vault-Tec

Intel never drop their prices. Ever. That said I suppose they do sell them all eventually though. The thing is though as time goes on AMD are starting to get the mindshare. They are seriously devaluing second hand Intel parts too, which obviously still sell more than a new AMD CPU that offers more.

I just hope AMD can get their amazing laptop CPUs into OEMs. That is where they could do some real damage.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

9900k, launched at £600. Effective discount today: £110, or 82% of launch price
    [​IMG]
    3900x, launched at £480. Effective discount today £60, or 88% of launch price.
    [​IMG]

All CPUs are discounted through their lifetimes, both by manufacturer tray price reductions and retail price reductions.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What I have seen more of with Intel and less so from AMD is the mobo/cpu bundling discounts to shift gear through rebates, can actually make an Intel bundle significantly cheaper than an AMD one but I am not sure who is the source of this discounting, whilst it tends to come through MSI or Asus I suspect they do this from Intel Market money, of course they are never around when you wnat to buy, typically a month or so after I've bought :duh: :D

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh mate, you're not attempting to use facts or evidence in a CPU wars thread, are you?

And every single thread on here about CPUs turns into a CPU wars thread within a couple of posts. Every single one.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I imagine that with the increased clock speeds, intels "probable" IPC lead, you could expect that the intel chips will perform similar to an AMD one with 2 more cores.

The price of motherboards is sans-lube wateringly high. In the Asus line up you've gotta spend £240 to even get up to Strix level, £430 for a maximus jnr. it's really getting ridiculous.

Last edited: 14 May 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, those Maximus boards used to be waaaay cheaper back when I got the 5 gene! Even with inflation its mad!

Edit: I just checked, back in 2011 I got a mate a Maximus4Gene-Z for around £140! Oh how the prices have flown up! £172 in todays money.
    Edit again: My M5Gene was £145 in 2012, which is £172 when adjusted for inflation...

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Nah, not this one :) I'm quite surprised at that tbh. What are you using to do that? I'd like to see some other AMD chips in there. Mostly because the 3900x still has no real direct competition from Intel.

Guys do bear in mind that a Maximus from 2011 would have only needed power phases for a 4c 8t CPU tops, and at that time they were pretty efficient too. They didn't need massive power phases.

That said yeah, a lot of the cost comes from all of this stuff that they "must" have now. Asus have also introduced new tiers too, pushing the Maximus range up. I totally agree though, top end board prices are pretty crazy.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I do a fair bit of electronic design, power phases don't cost that much, maybe on a bespoke board, but not for something made in its thousands. If anything electronics manufacturing costs dropped off a cliff 4 or 5 years ago, so the new stuff should be around 30% cheaper!

17. Vault-Tec

I heard recently that many mobo manufacturers work to tiny margins. On some boards they don't make anything at all. If that is true then it's clear who is stuffing up their costs.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Margins are small. Adding even a few extra components at several pence a skull eats into profit per unit, and when you sell lots of units, those several pence start to add up.

And BoM is only part of the equation, too. R&D is expensive business, which doesn't leave much wiggle room for parts.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, we can spend a lot of time just to drop a mask from a mask set to maximize profits as R&D cost can take years to recoup, particularly when you are competing with companies in countries like China where the Government will fund homegrown companies to put foreign companies at a disadvantage.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thanks for explaining my job to me, I guess thats where I've been going wrong :p I can assure you whoever said those margins are small is being misleading or has been mislead. A company like Asus or Asrock does not grow to the size it is, dumping huge amounts of money into marketing like esports with small margins. It'll be, minimum, 20-30%, more likely 50%. But it does depends where you put the R&D collumn as its more of a grey area (I work in R&D).

Edit: Also, sure, we'd give them the benifit of the doubt, I think if they could make a profit on a £340 Manimus 6 Extreme, they must surely make a bit of profit on the new, nearly £900 version! Just look at those two numbers! That was in 2013, only 7 years ago. It'd be £392 when ajusted for inflation. Thats an insane difference!