1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The IDF Thread (Fall 06)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 25 Sep 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Here's a place for discussing this week's announcements - we'll be keeping it up to date with the latest links on bit-tech.

IDF Fall 2006 Content Index

:clap:

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So is Intels next initiative to have optical LAN as standard on some chips in the future, as well as communication between cores?
    Could this possible lead to the blade servers comunicating directly via a optic cable to the CPU of the next blade? Or something along those lines?

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

OOH, the IDF has has started. Does that mean we get to find out more about the game server soon?

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

What a coincidence this is, i was reading only this morning about a breakthrough in nanotubes with single atom wall thickness, now this, all good steps towards optical computing :) and speed increaces for everyone.

Stacking cores is an interesting theory, would love to be doing some of the thermal work and modelling on that!!

5. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Not happy with the DRM issue - since when was it ok for people to not own stuff they paid for?

Renting a flat or even a TV is one thing, and when you rent a DVD you know it has to go back - but renting music?

6. MortarHeadd

MortarHeadd What's a Dremel?

If things keep going down this path (DRM) pretty soon, our TV's will have coin slots in them and require a nice chunk of change to turn on, and will only operate for the duration of a single show before we need to put more change in. Boy am I glad I do everything on my computers, at least them I have some control over.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'll just take a moment to point out that 'tera' is three orders of magnitude above 'giga', not one as was implied in the snippet.

As to DRM, screw it. I refuse to buy content with DRM, full stop. I'll take freebies (25 songs a week from apple for being on facebook? sure), but I won't pay a cent for them. CDs, thanks - and I'm hesitant to get even those now. I'd bring movies into the picture, but there's hardly anything worth watching now. And TV shows... I consider bit-torrenting them fair use, since I could just as easily have recorded them in a number of formats, seeing that I pay for access to the networks (albeit indirectly).

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Frankly that scares me. Corporations own all the content? How long before music & movies come with the same EULA as software? (You own the disk, they let you use the content as they choose and can revoke that as they see fit)
    Like this?

9. Tyinsar

Attention mods: dual linked thread

from here and here

Oh, wait, I see you knew this in post 1 :duh: - but it is a little confusing since you have 2 topics in one thread.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2006
  10. Tyinsar

Isn't this the same Intel that predicted 10Ghz from "Netburst" in the very near future?

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This misconception of the industry that if you provide it, no matter the cost, you will sell it. Needs to be destroyed. DRM is getting stupid now, in the good old days you would buy software/music under the condition that you did not alter it to make money off it.

Now they are saying you are renting music? Then reducing the ***********************^&%^$£^%$ prices.

12. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Thats different, the scalability was there but Intel decided it'd be much more effecient to develop an architecture that did more work per clock cycle. Probably one of the best moves they've ever done!

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Look at who Intel's customers are. Sure, they sell some processors more or less directly to customers, but the vast majority of their output goes to companies, not consumers. They are not going to risk pissing off the people who can actually do them harm to placate the end user who basically has little or no impact on their business.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's a thread dedicated to IDF coverage. ;)

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ok.... DRM on cpu chips? please enlighten me.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Wait, since when did Bit-Tech go American?

We're English, its AUTUMN

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Two seperate articles, the first is about tera-scale computing, the second is MPAA/RIAA wanting no one to own anything they buy ala DRM.

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think the words you're looking for are "Trusted Computing Module"

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

lol...what's worse is I'm the only American on editorial staff, and I didn't write this ;) I always say autumn. But that's from dealing with all you stuffy brits!

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

The trade show is called "Intel Developer Forum - Fall 2006"

Tags: Add Tags