1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom and Quad Core Opteron

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

No good to me as I'm one of the people stuck on S939 :(

Got an S939 machine because I thought it'd be arround a while, as did many others.

Even so, looks rather good but I want to see real performance figures and prices before making a decision. At the moment it is just a PR information war.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup. Hence the conclusion ;) Can't wait til we actually get a piece of hardware :thumb:

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There's a lot of good tech coming through by the looks of it. Shows that AMD may be able to pull of a huge comeback.

But 45nm will be the biggest selling point in my view, especially with graphics cards requiring half a sun worth of nuclear power.

5. bjrcboy

bjrcboy What's a Dremel?

Man I wouldn't mind building a octa core phantom system but then I read AM3 next year. I've been waiting for the R600, erm HD 2900xt?, to come out but I might as well wait longer. Just wait for the card thats coming out to replace the R600, isn't it coming out a quater or two after it anyways? Then get a DDR 3 board, Octa core, and as many gpu's as possible. Watercool it and then I'll be out dated in a few weeks oh the joy! haha. (its 344am and I havent slept in 26 hours excuse the grammer and spelling =))

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Looks awesome on paper, but then again these things always do.

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Sounds good, although I don't like the sound of the backwards 'compatibility', seems silly to buy a new CPU but its not going to be much quicker/ efficient because your motherboard can't be fully updated to the new standard...

8. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I can't wait till these cpu's are out, i will be sticking with intel and the core 2 duo untill then but i have a feeling AMD will be out on top next year and will give intel a run for there money.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Better that then a new socket. It allows for systematic upgradability: upgrade your CPU, keep your motherboard. Then later upgrade your mobo.

You may not be in a position to reformat and reinstall for a new board, but require quad core power.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Step-by-step upgrade? Seems interesting, even though I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon.

Maybe you should re-read that one. :)
    However, this creates an inherent performance problem since both dies are only connected through the CPU fronst side bus (FSB). Ah, sounds better.

11. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Pages 4 and 5 have done a runner :confused:

12. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

precisely

I have an X2 4200+ and 'upgrading' to a 6000+ when i can overclock almost as high seems a bit of a waste, but this, may well be my upgrade path. Its a bit concerning that AM3 is coming out so soon afterwards, iguess i have two choices...

Upgrade to an AM2+ CPU, keep my current rig as-is, then upgrade the mobo to an AM2+ mobo next year, again, keeping my GPU and RAM, or wait for all of this and buy a AM3 system when that arrives next year.

Either way, the resale vlue of my system is going downhill day by day. I sometimes wish i had bought C2D, but being a bit of an AMD/nvidia fanboy, that just aint gonna happen. The little man needs my support, even if my bucks dont get me exactly the same performance as the big-blue.

The one thign that doesn't fit into all this is the AMD/ATi acquisition. I know its long in the past now, but it still seems really bizarre, ATi was better on Intel platforms, and in the 939 period, nvidia was the AMD cpu buyer's weapon of choice, my how things change.

It will be interesting to see the performance difference between an AM2+ CPU on a system like mine, and a similarly specced machine on an AM2+ motherboard. I'm sure there's lots of us that need this info before spending huge amounts of money on new tech. Especially as like me, there are loads of us that WANT to stick with AMD.

13. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

actaully in the price point battle amd is still good in the mid - mid high range. with core 2 duos have i admit a longer life expectancy but atm in comparison to amd mid range offering they have a higher price for performance point.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AM3 will only be bringing DDR3 to the mix in a year. You'll still keep all the benefits of AM2+ in it though, and DDR2 will still be far cheaper and more efficiently clocked than 3.

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No idea what happened to K9, but Barcelona is K10.

17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i will wait for AM2+... currently at s939 now, so i wont buy AM2 just to be outdated in a few months. but i wont need AM3 either...... Barcelona here i come!! :D

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Interesting and cool stuff, but all these incremental upgrades worry me a bit. A64 is getting old now and AMD should probably start thinking of a redesign sometime soon.

19. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

umm - did you read the article? thats what this was all about, a redesign, and name change

20. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I think he means a redisign of the K8, which isn't going to happen.

Tags: Add Tags