1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware XFX nForce 680i SLI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Do we really need constant reviews of all of the referance design 680i boards?

Anywho, good review as allways!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I know what you mean, but this goes back to CeBit and my conversation with XFX went something like this:

Bindi: "Send us something interesting!"
    XFX: "k, we have a pre-overclocked (???) LT board coming soon"
    Bindi: "Sounds great, send it on"

Two months later we get a plain Jane 680i in the post and I don't check the box til I come to review it :(:(

Anywaaaay, at least this lets you know the differences aren't that much across the entire range and the whole difference is in the packaging. It's still good to know there isn't much to know, right? :)

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

ok, what are the differences between all the evga 680i boards on newegg? there are like 3 or 4 of em, ranging from 150 to 210...

5. widmod

widmod Minimodder

i supose 21 on the board description diagram is the power and reset switches and not a second RS232 Port? somehow it does look more like switches than a pinout... :hehe:

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Did you guys ever manage to get a stable EVGA borad, i know when i got mine, Tim went through 3 of the damn things, and im still on my first.

Good review guys :thumb:

Sam

7. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Second the motion... A good review, though, even if it's basically the same hardware the third (?) time around.

Out of curiosity, are the rounded IDE cables the same as the ones from the EVGA package? They look round, but on the inside, it's just the ribbon cable that's been sliced into strips, so it doesn't bend worth beans?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Urgh, I think we gave up in the end tbh, I havent seen one around for months. We've done other nforce 6 EVGA boards since though.

Dan: 2nd ;) I can't remember the EVGA package but I've just checked and it's a properly rounded (and very colourful internally!) IDE cable.

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

thanks for the review! :thumb: ..this just makes my choice of 680i board harder :p heh ...too bad you couldnt include benchmarks with 8800's vs 7900 .. oh well :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well Tim does those in Gfx reviews :)

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think the other issue is that bit-tech only has the one 30" screen and the numbers on a pair of 8800s at 1600x1200 would be pretty pointless because they'd be stupidly high. :)

That said, I do want to upgrade our graphics cards for mobo reviews at some point because, yes, the 7900 and X1900-series cards are getting a bit long in the tooth now.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Yea.. I'm just being selfish.. heh :D

I suppose... but who doesn't love stupidly high numbers!? :D

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Who does the mobile graphics reviews? I've yet to see any review for the new 8xxx and 2xxx series cards from Bit-tech. And other sites just don't compare with that bitty-techy quality :thumb:

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

We're in the process of running the numbers for a review on the mid-range GeForce 8 and HD 2000 series cards. ;)

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

great :D

16. DrewBear11

DrewBear11 What's a Dremel?

Treated myself to this

Very nice board, really like it, however mine didnt come with any nuts/bolts/whatever and didnt have any motherboard stand offs.

Also missing a drivers cd.....

Moving on, only real problem is that it will not work with my xfi extreme gamer, blue sceen's, locks up.....

can anyone shed any light on this, or is this an issue with any other 680i's ?

Cheers

17. Fused

Fused Minimodder

I also bought this as I thought it matched with the XFX 8800gts 320mb XXX i purchased

Mine didnt have a drivers cd either :sigh:
    (No nuts and bolts either but i wasnt expecting ne, shud I have been? (plenty came with my case neway))

I have a creative x-fi extreme gamer and works perfectly fine installed the drivers after loading windows and that was it. Im assuming youve checked your xfi extreme gamer was fine on another system?

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Maybe they want you to go on the site to get the drivers, because by the time u install them off the CD they are usually out of date anyway

i haven't seen a motherboard come with nuts/bolts, most likely because that is all done with the case

probably because the standoffs depends on the case, and the nuts depend on the standoffs, so it makes more sense to put the nuts/bolts with the case and just give you a motherboard

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mobos don't come with nuts and bolts, that's a case thing.

You should have had a driver CD in the envelope thing though.

20. DrewBear11

DrewBear11 What's a Dremel?

Ah right, yeah maybe i was expecting too much for it to come with extra bolts and standoffs.

I was getting blue screens with the xfi, with the drivers off the cd, i havnt tried newer drivers with the card yet, maybe i will in the next few days.

Is there anywhere i can request a driver cd or anything, because i couldnt find specfic drivers for that exact board on the xfx site..

cheers

Last edited: 29 Jun 2007
Tags: Add Tags