1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crysis: Warhead Announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It better be more enthralling than Crysis.

That really wasn't worth the wait or the Hype.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

This is my console. There are many like it but this one is mine. Um.. it's also a Wii and I don't buy a lot of games for it.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Arrr, the pirates have plundered to much! Before long there will be no more bounty to be had. Such is the pirates life!

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

minor edit...

6. CardJoe

The bounty is already gone. There are no more major AAA PC exclusive developers left. Cry Tek was the last doubloon.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think being PC exclusive is less of an issue as long as the ports are done well (mass effect, although a simultaneous launch would be nice.) its a real problem when they are handled badly (quiting Assassins creed) or even better if they are developed for the PC then ported on (valve)

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Blizzard?

I get sick of all this melodrama with piracy/PC games. Sure Valve aren't PC exclusive, but the fact that 360 users might play the same games as me is not going to detract my enjoyment of Left4Dead in the slightest. CoD4, Bioshock, Orange Box, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect. OH WOE IS ME they aren't designed only for PC I can't possibly enjoy them to their fullest, the golden age is gone, the console plebs are playing my games D:
    Exclusivity just breeds fanboys, I'm almost glad it's on its way out.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2008
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

God, if this is as terribly written as Crysis, I hope it kills Cry Tek :/

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I found Psycho quite amusing... maybe I'm the only one. :hehe:

As for Crysis famously underselling... they marketed it as a game that could kill the best of systems. And it did. For some reason, though, they neglected to mention that medium looked pretty good, and ran pretty well even on slightly older hardware. I know several of my friends didn't buy Crysis because they were of the opinion that it wouldn't run on their systems. I'll say they were half right, as they wouldn't have been doing more than 1280x1024@medium, but it still would have run OK.

Frankly, I won't really care if Crysis: Warhead is a console only release, as after two play throughs, the original got very boring. It's little more than a tech demo with a bit of cliched story daubed over the top.

CryTek seem to be good at making engines, but somewhat hit-or-miss at making games.

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Didn't they still sell over 1 million copies of Crysis on the PC? After the debacle of the '24 hours exclusive access' pre-purchase offer via EA, and the fact that Crysis is little more than a lengthy tech-demo (which most users couldn't experience how it was meant to be experienced) , i'm almost hoping that Ubisoft show them how it's done with FarCry 2.

At least Valve are still releasing software for the PC market and then worrying about the console ports afterwards, rather than the other way around. Oh, and thanks for the Day of Defeat Source Beta update, here at last and worth waiting for! :)

12. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Interesting, I found Crysis to be thoroughly enjoyable, certainly as far as the Mine area. After that it did lose its edge a bit, but the number of times I have played up to that point more than makes up for it.

Per se, I am not bothered about it being multi-platform as long as the ports are good enough. That will be the deciding factor I feel.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

just use the same graphics engine and insert a good plot into it!! your game will sell very well... and for f*** sake don't put stupid installation restrictions and such!

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hope it's not another FarCry Instincts. PC is where CryEngine is good at, use it and use it well (as DXR said)

15. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

yeah everyone goes on about the last third of the game being crap, which it was, but i found them levels to be the most jaw dropping (aside for that waterfall) coz the snow looked so good. the vtol level was stupid though

glad we're finally moving away from the silent protagonist at last, i never understood that. How the hell are you meant to connect to a character if they never speak?

16. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

ANOTHER graphics demo? Sheesh.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Bah! Says you. Anyone born after Prince Of Persia was released doesn't deserve an opinion on whether games are any good or not. At least not for another few years.

Hopefully this'll be released on the PC. It's a big shame that Crysis didn't sell better, to my knowledge it didn't contain any really nasty spyware, or ridiculous copy protection. It was a great game, it had a great engine. There was no political or moral reason not to buy it.

18. CardJoe

The issue is more about the long-term look. If consoles are getting exclusive games and PC is losing them and piracy is pushing people away off of PC then it's a slippery slope. Soon afterwards we'll find that the PC is known for nothing but ports of games, which isn't a good place to be. Ports are mostly very bad and well done ports like Mass Effect are the exception, not the rule.

If PC isn't getting exclusives, is known for bad ports and most of those ports aren't selling because pirates are downloading them (and the pirates will say they are right to download games which have only been badly ported and are therefore not very good) then we're only a little way away from the vast majority of game developers going console exclusive and not coming back.

PC gaming has indie gaming going for it, true, and that may be a good defense for now - but take a look at XNA creators club and Wiiware and you'll see that consoles are trying to steal those markets too.

And yes, the original Prince of Persia was awesome Spec - though I admit I could never get past Level 4 in the allotted hour.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I really enjoyed crysis, It'll annoy the **** out of me it becomes a consolified piece of ****.

we need exclusives.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I actually disagree with even Joe there. Even if every port was well done, console games tend to be dumbed down. I can't be bothererd realing of the inumerable examples, but even the devs of fairly hardcore games (<cough>Bethesda<cough>) are just saying "Look guys, we can't produce a game for 5% of you anymore, it's not viable, we have to produce games 40% of gamers will be interested in". That means the console tards liking things, and that means we have to put up with simplified, dumbed down games. While there is the argument that if gaming moves to console entirely, there'll be enough of an intelligent market there for seriously hardcore games on, say, the Xbox - that doesn't change the fact that the PC is pretty much the best platform for those who do want these incredibly in depth very hardcore games, and we're just not going to get them unless the PC is still considered to have a huge gamer base which buys games.

PC gaming as such won't die, but PC games will. What we'll be left with is all the multi-platformers, which might be just as fun and just as good in some areas, but other genres will outright die.

Oh and joe, seriously, only level 4? That's pitifull! :D

Tags: Add Tags