1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermalright Venomous-X CPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Lap the base and try again - Thermalright persists in its concave base nonsense.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Something's wrong here. Even with unlapped bases, no other review/user on the interwebs has such pathetic results.

What pressure were you guys testing at?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The TRUE they tested would not have had a lapped base either, so it's still a fair comparison between products as they come out of the box.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Where are the AM2 results?

6. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Where are the AM2, AM3 results +1

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

TRUE still looks to be king (cuddles his TRUE....ouch hot...u git!)

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Your getting delta temps here that's the main dif between sites

Most just give a base temp

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

+ 1

10. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

First page - "... See if Thermaltake can take back the crown". It's Thermalright chaps!

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The Venomous-X does not ship with an AM2/3 bracket. hence no AM2/3 results

13. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

One day Thermalright might catch onto the whole 'heatpipe direct contact' thing and then we'll see something.

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I thought the issue of the adjustable pressure would crop up. We tested with the maximum pressure possible with the clamp (using the little tool to screw the clamp down as firmly as possible). Any adjustment to lessen the pressure did not result in any real performance improvement.

I was properly surprised by the poor results here, and re-mounted the cooler and reapplied TIM numerous times to try and see an improvement. I even allowed the TIM to cure over a weekend at full load, again with no improvement. We can hardly base a review on what everyone else found, so the review is written based on our testing, which as you can see wasn't too impressive.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think it's good that we sometimes have results here that matches exactly none of the other site's results. At least it shows that BT does the testing and is not blinded by hype or marketing. [except with games sometimes... CoD comes to mind]

After all this is not buzzword bingo but a real test. THG did that as well, back in the days.

Great review, guys! :thumb:

16. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I have a design idea for an air cooler, who do i contact to try and sell it ?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think we should play this in the office. I'm going to put together a sheet.

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I like the sound of buzzword bingo too lol

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

We had an external consultant for communications within a company/department at work last week.
    He asked my boss about the problems within our own team and department. It was so hard to NOT laugh in his face the whole time. He just listed a lot of nice-sounding words without any meaning or sense.
    A colleague of mine and me afterwards decided to actually prepare sheets for next year so we at least got something out of the meeting. ;)

Bring in a couple of representatives from nVidia/AMD/Intel. Or, possibly even more fun: Apple. :thumb:

20. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

I think BT's testing procedures need to be reviewed, I've had issues with their windows 7 review, almost all other reviews online got small performance increases over vista / xp and yet BT was the only site that showed a performance decrease across the board.

Almost all reviews of the venomous X on overclocking forums by pro overclockers seems to show that it is better than the TRUE and the megahalems by a fair amount . and yet on BT its all of a sudden poor performer?! I'm finding it hard to believe that it gets beaten by the Zalman cooler as well.

What thermal paste was used?

Also remember than CFM is not a good indicator of a fan's performance, that fan may have good cfm but terrible air pressure. I would suggest you remount, and use a different fan something like a scythe s-flex or GT. Those sharkoon fans are infamous about their terrible performance on coolers and radiators.

I want a few more reviews to pop up and if the venomous x is still the top cooler in those reviews, I'm crying foul.

Tags: Add Tags