1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to build a touchscreen all-in-one PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Jul 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

"propitiatory" software? you sure that's the right word?

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Where can you get that monitor in the uk?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's meant to be proprietary.

Stotherd-001 - You can't unfortunately. Albatron is predominantly licensing the tech to other companies, but I've not been told if anyone else will use it to sell to consumers atm. We were just using it as a bit of a fun tech demo.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ghetto mods. The best ones.

6. dackroyd

dackroyd What's a Dremel?

"The controller board is tiny. Click to enlarge"

was this intentional?

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I was expecting a nifty iPad alternative.... kind of disappointed!

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Who would honestly want the restrictions of an iPad on an all in one system? iPad = major disappointment

I think you've done a great job with what you had to play with. How was the responsiveness on the touch screen in comparison to other more expensive all in ones on the market?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Instant. It's optical and a simple calculation between two sensors so as soon as it sees your finger it relays that to the OS. Right now Win 7 gets confused when you use more than 1 finger, but Albatron's software could do the multi-touch stuff - rotate, resize etc.

10. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Sweet!

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

What restriction? Nothing's stopping you from directly hooking up a keyboard and a mouse - unlike the iPad.

12. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I'm not saying i like iPads or even want one, but from the article title and i initially thought it was about a custom made iPad alternative!

Nice little set up although i dont see it as something i would get much real use out of.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I wish people would just take a chill-pill with their moaning about the iPad. It's just a gadget after all, it's designed to fit a segment and so what if it doesn't do everything you want it to (It doesn't do everything I would want it too either) so just don't buy it and wait for something that fits your needs and/or desires.

Sheesh

PS. I'm not defending the iPad, I don't have one.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

You can hook up a keyboard to the iPad, and a small point but iOS isn't a mouse aware OS. It's been designed to be a touch based OS so mouse support would be a bad idea without major changes and how would those changes compromise touch control?

I wonder if we'll soon see an OS that is equally at home under mouse control as it is touch. There isn't one yet.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Goes to show just easy it can be to make one of these. Also I think touch screens are useless on desktop use. Sure, there are some specific tasks/uses where they may be helpful, but in general it's just awfully awkward to touch the screen in the first place, let alone try to actually get something done that way.

16. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

@Jipa, that's more to do with habits than anything else. put a 3 year old in front of it and you'll see things from a different perspective.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

fantastic mod, very nicely done with very good looking finishing touches :p

but i can't feel the need to touch my desktop monitor, i only feel the need to touch my netbook. so next challenge: touch netbook :)

18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I was expecting something like the pads they used on Stargate Atlantis.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That's pretty much exactly what I meant with what I said. Educational purpose, in my books, falls in the "specific purpose/use" category. Also it may be just the thing to keep 3-year old occupied for ages, but for actual work/use it's useless.

If you want to try what I mean, cover your screen with cardboard, sit normally like you would when using the computer and spend half an hour drawing and writing accurately on the cardboard. It gets pretty hard pretty soon. And if you're still going to mainly rely on the keyboard and mouse, why bother with the touch screen in the first place?

Special solutions for special needs.

20. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Very nice. I've never even seen that motherboard. I may pick one up for the HTPC I've been meaning to put together. Love the concept though. Entertained me at work for a good 20 minutes. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags