1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard bans singleplayer cheaters

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

lol

At both the complaining and the idea of banning for single player cheating.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

“However, banning people for cheating in a single player game is utterly ridiculous.”

This! Who cares if it affects your achievements. You judge other players by how they game, not by what achievements they unlock.

4. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Glad I havent bought this game! Wont be now either - I dont need to play it. I wont have someone tell me If i can use cheats in single player or not. Joke tbh

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Blizzard: the giant that will fall. i'd like to think of them as IBM during 70s, soon, they'd be forgotten.

i don't get the buzz surrounding this company. none of their game is remotely exciting. on the other hand, im not an RPG fan, and my APM is about 10.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Hmmm... I think we can start by all agreeing that this is only controversial because it is being used on single player gamers. Cheating in multiplayer is inexcusable and should result in an instant ban and revocation of the player's licence code from being used in online games, at least for a temporary period (with multiple infractions leading to a permanent ban).

On single player, personally I've never seen the need to cheat. I can see their argument that cheating in SP can affect your stats and unlockables, but maybe the solution is to have a "practice" mode which doesn't censor cheating but equally doesn't count stats, good or bad, towards your overall ranking. Whatever, there must be a solution less heavy handed than temp bans for players using trainers in SP.

7. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Yeah well that certainly is one way to encourage piracy I guess since that is the first thing that occurred to me. Imagine Valve said when you load a game of Left 4 Dead solo turning cheats on even just noclip to check out the map bans you. What utter ********.

Like neonplanet40 I'm not going to be told how to play a game and even though I was hoping to see it cheap later in the year now Im glad I passed up on getting it at launch and it looks ever more certain that Warcraft 3 will be the last Blizzard game I hand over cash for.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well I suppose in some manner this will teach kids that cheating doesnt gain you anything other then false satisfaction for achieving something that you didnt achieve but at the same time this being single player does seem a bit much.

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Next they'll ban you for using add ons. Play the game our way or no way at all? Remind you of any other company?

10. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Why would anyone cheat in single player? The only reason is to get hard achievements to show off to their friends or the online community, if they want to have an easier time going through the single player game then they can simply change the difficulty to easy.
    99.9% of players who download these maphack cheats will do so to cheat in online play. Especially since there is now some money involved in alot of tournaments, and no way for the organisers to really know if a player is cheating or not. Ban them all i say.

if you want to cheat in single player, then disable your network card, play in offline mode and then remove the cheats when done.
    Simple no?

11. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

So you've never wanted to open up an RTS and just produce a hundred unit just to see what its like or open up L4D and spawn 12 tanks to mess the survivor bots up ust too see what happens. Achievements are meaningless things anyway since there's no central portal for it like xbl or psn

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Joy.. banned for using a trainer in singleplayer. Thankfully it's only temporary. I've never had a reason to dislike Blizzard, quite the opposite in fact, but getting my account banned for having fun in singleplayer ticks me off. :grr:

Just because someone wants to have fun in Singleplayer by altering the game doesn't mean they're just trying for achievements, nor even that they would be more inclined to attempt to cheat online.

I enjoy using a trainer in SC2 because it changes the rules of the game and lets me do ridiculous things.. like having a photon cannon that can shoot across the map. It's purely for sh*ts and giggles.

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

you should try using the map editor then, thats what its there for, already built into the game, no need to go searching for hacks.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

In single player, cheat all you want. But in multiplayer GTFO NOW, I hate your soul and you should burn in hell forever.

15. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

All this makes me think is that the achievements weren't thought out thoroughly enough.

16. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I don't have the time, nor desire, to learn how to use the editor, nor does it let me edit built-in maps.

Me using a trainer in Singleplayer has no affect on multiplayer other than worthless achievements which are only a testament to how many hours you've theoretically sunk into the game.

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

And people still hand over their cash to Activi$ion? If you buy one of their games, you ought to know exactly what you're getting into. It's much the same as buying Apple hardware - I ain't gonna stop you, but I sure have warned you.

18. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

Playing offline, thereby disabling the ability to earn achievements, would be the way to use a trainer no?

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nope but your talking about altering game events, Im talking about cheating to progress ones self without actually achieving the progress themselves or giving yourself the ability always have head shots, that form of cheating.

20. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Jeezz....... Not even single player?? This is like Big Brother, even this on single-player? This is an abuse...

Tags: Add Tags