1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GTC 2013: Nvidia unveils Volta, Parker and Faceworks tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Could they not put the RAM beneath the GPU? You'd need more interconnects trough it to reach the PCB, but it could alleviate potential heat issues?

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That face stuff in the video at 9mins it pretty weird. The eyes are the only real giveaway.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wouldn't it be better to place the DRAM under the GPU silicon, from a heat perspective ?

Looks like PC's will be massively held back again in 2016 with developers making games not able to take advantage of the superior hardware in PC's

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's possible, but then you've got the problem of the RAM overheating rather than the GPU. It would also lengthen the GPU's connection to other components on the board, which could have a deleterious effect on performance.

In short: possibly, but every time I've seen this kind of thing done it's been processor then DRAM, not DRAM then processor (have a shufti at the Raspberry Pi for an example of last-generation non-TSV design: the SoC is beneath the DRAM chip in a package-on-package (PoP) mount), and as the designers are a lot cleverer than I I'm going to guess there's a good reason for that.

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

solved!, have board mid height of the gpu,ram stack, and have coolers on both sides. might be hard to do sli, but thats what i came up with in 60 secs for free.

7. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

ergh! how freaky is that faceworks video! I'm impressed

8. Xir

Xir Modder

As long as it's silicon on silicon, heat transfer should work pretty well. Also the thickness of the final package is probably not much thicker than now, the non-active part of the silicon could become thinner, than regain tensile strength when bonded/packaged