1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 360 the biggest seller this Christmas

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 3 Jan 2007.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think that the Wii was the best seller over Christmas.

It's very hard to even find accessories for it, everywhere I go is out of stock of Remotes!

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I never really doubted it would sell the most. It has the most games and has been out for a year so the bugs have been ironed out.
    The PS3 didn't have enought physical units to sell.
    The Wii is unproven and has jumped into motion sensing which many people would be wary of.
    It is quite surprising that Nintendo did so well, and a :thumb: to them.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

It does and doesn't surprise me to some extent.
    I'm pleased the Wii did so well though unsurprisingly didn't sell as much as it perhaps could have because of hardware shortages.
    The PS3, well that was a given that it wasn't really going to sell what with the lack of supply and the high price, not to mention not even being a contender in the European market at all.

I think next year we will be more interesting with all the players having laid their cards on the table however it's likely sales of the Xbox360 and Wii will decline as a large chunk of those that want it will already have it by then.
    The only way for the console war to be "won" it to look at how many units have sold over a certain period of time. Come back in 2 years and I'm sure we will have a better indication :)

5. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I've been reading about PS3's being returned for credit by a fair few people, from the sounds of it, quite a few of the people in the initial rush have been unable to sell them off on ebay and weren't willing to hold onto them for themselves at the price.

That and one person who said they spent an hour in an US forces base store (ie no tax etc) and at the start of the hour the store had had 4 wii's and 4 PS3's, apparently the first four people to pick up wii's bought them, then there were about 30 people who walked in, picked up a PS3 and looked at it, then turned it over to see the price and put it straight back down, believe they said only one eventually sold.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ok the run up to christmas is from when?? 1st November or 1st Of december. If 1st of december then theres nothing in it, the Xbox did better than the Wii. If its from 1st of november then maybe the Wii did better as im sure they sold more than 200k units of Xbox's before the Wii launch. I beleive both did well to sell so many in such a short period of time.

How can it be poor sales if every unit was sold??? If sony had more stock on other then it would have sold more. It can only be poor if there are still Ps3's on store shelves on 24th december. There were 360's still on the shelve on xmas eve but no wii's or PS3's. If Lotus produce only 150k of its Elicse say and ford sell over 3 million fiestas then does that mean Lotus have poor sales??? There are more fords on the car lot unsold than there are Lotus.

1.8 million Wii's sold and none on the shelve means there is potential for more to be sold and same goes for PS3. Where as there are still 360's on the shelve which means 2 million is all that they could acheive.

I contributed to the 2 million 360's as I got one for xmas :)

Last edited: 3 Jan 2007
  7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yes, but don't forget that whilst the Xbox 360 has been out for a good year or so, many potential customers already own one, which is why they didn't sell out of units...Microsoft are well into the manufacturing process now so they're almos guaranteed to always have some units available on the shelves. The PS3/Wii have only just been released so their customers could only have bought on during the lead up to christmas, as opposed to having them available for the past year to buy.

I don't see the console war being decided until mid-2007 when hopefuly all manufacturers have enough supply out, and we can really guage which console the people are after.

<A88>

8. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

WoW! Who woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

They did mention the poor sells are due to PS3 shortages so i dont see where you're going with this. The PS3 only sold well because of Ebay but if you look at the fact that Ebay prices dropped so dramatically before christmas was over and the fact that you can just pick up a PS3 instore right now is a good indication of how popular the system is.

In comparison, the xbox 360 went for 1 grand on Ebay all they way until mid feb during it's launch.

Link to bestbuy.com that has PS3 for sale in stock.
    Bestbuy.com

9. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I would assume the xbox 360 only sold more units simply because it was the more widely available one and actually in stock. If there are no wiis or ps3's...well..how can they sell more?

10. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

11. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

I think the Xbox 360 is doing well and will continue to do so.. The better allround gameslibary moves more & more to what the PS always offered, even more & more typical Japanse games, so it's not just that Amarican FPS/actiongame gameconsole anymore.. And offcourse, it's cheaper then it's main competitor.. When we see the 1st pricedrop for the Xbox 360 (which will probably bring the core system down to the Wii price) probably this year Xbox 360 sales will rise again.. The console will compete a long time with the PS3 for 1st place in this gen..

The Wii will continue to sell well in 2007 driven by the launch- and controllerhype, but I fear will slow down a bit after that due to lack of enough good games, same problem the Gamecube had.. Unless Nintendo can keep more good games coming offcourse, or people continue to buy the Wii as the partyconsole despite not that many good games.. In the end Nintendo will end up 3rd again this gen, but with more sales then the Gamecube..

The PS3 has a very slow start, not many good games and expensive.. But it will pick up momentum when more games arrive and the price drops.. In the end the PS3 will sell the most again this gen I think, mainly because of the huge PS(2) fanbase that will buy a PS(3) again eventually, and because Sony will probably keep the thing longer on the market then MS will do with the Xbox 360..

In the end the gamers win, because having 3 strong brands on the market that push eachother to better things is offcourse always better then just having 2 that do different things and are therefor not really competing (Sony & Nintendo).. For example if it wasn't for MS I think gameconsoles would still not have proper online support..

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

whats with this winning loosing competition? original xbox came out, around the same time PS2 already came out, both sells out well, xbox abit late since there wasnt too many games, but it eventually catches up. now both of them are famous and bestsellers. everybody happy.
    edit: ps: gamecube may look bad compared to these 2 BUT sales is still good. Nintendo made good bucks out of them. i dont care what the papers told me, but everywhere i go (ive been around Canada the last 6 years) GameCube is an idea for xmas gift by parents of younger children.

last year 360 came out and EVERYBODY starts COMPARING ooooh aaah how isit gonna go with PS3? how about 3? who's gonna win??

im not a big fan of console (mostly pc gamers) but i play them once in awhile, and i can see this already: xbox 360 came out last year, by this time around theres alot of games and lotsa bugs ironed out. it will sell well over the next year or so still.
    wii just came out this year, lotsa people jumped the gun, but there isnt alot of it available yet, and not enough game. by next year, it will increase, but it wont beat x360 becoz of graphic n not so many people will be too impressed by the motionsensing controllers. sales will calm down over the next year or so.
    ps3 has alot of trouble when it launched, lotsa comparison debates to x360, Sony business issues, availability demands, n what not. but it will bounce back over the next year or so. PS2 fan will demand the price to be lowered, and there will be both more consoles and more games availabley. sales will catch up over the next year or so.

so in the end? everybody wins! so shush and go do better things outside!

:)

13. andydico

andydico What's a Dremel?

I'm tired of reading comparisons of sales between consoles. the 360 is the bestseller because it's the easiest to find. Try to find a Wii or a PS3 in stock at stores! The PS3 is not selling well because there's very limited stocks and also very little Good games that would make people buy it to play that game. I think the Wii is selling well because of it's price and might sell in even greater numbers if there's more stocks around.

14. jswilson64

jswilson64 What's a Dremel?

Since one can now buy a 360, Wii, or PS3, or at least could until stores ran out, shouldn't they now be referred to as "this gen" instead of "next gen" ???

How can something that's been out for a year be "next gen" anyway??

15. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I personally think that the wii has done very well, as i cant seem to find one of my own to buy :)
    All the stores in my home town are sold out, so i will have to wait till i go back to college to check around there...

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

about the PS3, how the hell did it sell every unit if they were to get out 2 000 000 units then decreased it to 1 000 000 and they only sold 750 000? and how the hell can someone compare the sales of a console that hasn't come out in Europe with 2 other that came out everywhere before Christmas.

about the wii, it is simply "cheap" and "fun" and relatively easy to find if you search enough (i was not to buy one and i found a large stock of them in a standard supermarket, a friend got it and is now playing with it), and it did sell really nicely IMO.

about the X360, i was not expecting this, really i was not, i was expecting something in the lines of X360 not selling at all, MS has really impressed me with the live service, nice game graphics and nice games.

conclusion, PS3 needs a miracle if it wants to win, wii must get good games if it wants to win, X360 must open a little more its console if it wants to win.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The only way to really draw any conclusions from something like this is to have a situation where an infinite number of each system were available. If there were 5 million Xbox360s on the Market and only 2 million sold is that success? If there were 1.8 million Wiis and 1.8 million Wiis sold, wouldn't that be more successful? If there were 750,000 PS3 and 750,000 PS3s sold, could you say that the PS3 is the clear winner because despite the highest price out of all 3 and the higher availability of the others the PS3 still sold 100% of its stock?

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Plus you have to remember that the PS3, once the price comes down, will get alot of sales because it is able to run linux easily. Plus the changeable Hard Drive, I will be getting one instead of a HTPC.

Tags: Add Tags