1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Desktops :o

Discussion in 'General' started by orb, 21 Jun 2006.

1. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

I dont see a single filename. How can you tell the difference between different PDFs? It doesn't even use thumbnails.

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

but why do you need to move them around like that???
    I'd prefer the normal desktop. This seems fun to play with though.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

i think the movement method is just to mimick real life in a way, tbh, to be completely functional it doesn't need it. But i would love to be able to pile up all my random gifs and pngs that i save to desktop for use in flash. I have a screen full of them by the end of a project.

I think the filenames appeared on hover, agreed that could get annoying..

4. TMM

TMM Modder

And i joked about needing a physics card to run the Windows after vista... :hehe:

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I think if they encorporated some folders into their design it would be great. I think it has some really neat features, like enlarging files or folding the edges of files. Improvements I would want:

1) Display file names
    2) Labels on each pile
    3) Sub-piles
    4) Compress the stack height of the piles

I've never met anyone who brags about how much they like the look of their messy desk. I don't think what they currently have would be a good replacement for the folder/file system, what I do see it as is a good replacement for the current way of looking at the contents in a folder.

L J

6. Whelan_999

Whelan_999 What's a Dremel?

Pretty cool concept but not fine tuned enough to make me want to buy it. Like someone mentioned above it would be great for photo stuff. There are a lot of things you can do like crumpling up papers which I thought was neat, but wouldn't be used. Another was sticking paper to the walls. Some cons would be no names, and huge files. That should be fixed.
    -aaron

7. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

I think it's a pretty good idea. Just not for the experienced user who will probably have hundreds, if not thousands of documents, images etc.

However, I do think this would be good for a beginner or some kind of Media Browser to view films. But it seems to be targeted at the advanced user, by showing lots of PDFs.

The whole thing gets stranger the more you think about it.

:rolleyes:

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I hate it. Just don't like it. Good idea, just not what I need.

9. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

As has been mentioned, this isn't a way of storing/showing all of your files, it's a desktop replacement - hence the name "Bumptop 3D Desktop" and not "Bumptop File Manager", so is a way of keeping current documents, or work in progress in an easily accesible place. From what some of you are saying, it sounds like you think this is going to replace a standard file system altogether. The word prototype would also suggest that perhaps new features may be added and it isn't a final product? I agree at its current state it is a bit of a gimmick and not much use, but it has got potential and certainly is a nice idea.

On another note - has anyone seen metisse? looks quite cool - metisse.avi

10. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Interesting JF. The tilting's probably useful and maybe scaling, but dunno about the others.

Watching that reminded me of Sun's Project Looking Glass.