1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 40GB PS3 could do backwards compatibility?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

At £350 for the full fat version I don't understand why people are moaning, I mean you get 2 games with the value pack if you didn't like them you could sell them for 20-30quid and end up with a PS3 that has full BC and a bigger HD for more or less the same money as the 40Gb, its a no brainer really.

BTW there is an inaccuracy in your article the 40Gb will play PS1 games as that has always been done fully in software rather than needing any hardware units.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

In other news, in another kick to the balls of European gamers, the 40Gb PS3 is due to be launched in the US on November 2, at a price of $399.

And what's this about Sony's engineers working on "new features" for the PS3? Stop mucking around with the console, we don't need any more versions already!

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Wait a minute. I could have sworn that our PAL PS3 machines *already* had this "feature"? I thought our backwards compat was software based? They removed the chips the NTSC/JAP editions had for cost reductions, etc.

So if that's the case, how would it be difficult at all? Unless of course the installed OS is drastically different on the new 40gig edition than that of the current ones available, wouldn't any of the firmware updates also include backward compat features?

Weird.....

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you read the linked article you will see that the first JAP/US units has both a PS2 EE and GS chip, Euro and later PS3 in all territories had only the GS+, the 40Gb removes the GS+ chip.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Come on that is a tired old complaint and is the same for all hardware from each company when comparing US and UK prices not just Sony.

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

what happened to the good old days when here was just one verison on of a console from day one till the end of its life.

also is this sony admentting there screwed up with the PS3 and so they are starting to chop it to pieces to justiful the consoles existents

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

For once, I'm leaning more on Sony's side. Who cares? If I want to play a ps2 game or a ps1 game, I can break out those consoles... If anything I prefer having a whole stack of consoles on display. It gives me geek cred!

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

How is that, sony have given a new cheaper version.

You go to a fiat Garage to buy a new punto, you dont get all the upgrades you get in the expensive model in the cheap model. If you did then there would not be 2 models.

Doh

If you want backwards compatibility then by the 60gb model. Simple. If you dont want to pay that then tuff, you got go with the cheaper model and miss out on a few things.

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I dont see the problem. Buy the exprensive one if you want all the features. It's like whinging that the 360 CORE doesnt come with a HDD or Wireless Controller.

Who cares. :)

11. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Weel, I guess bit of the problem is that when the 60GB batch is sold out, there will be no more BC in any PS3 version, so for those still waiting for the price to drop some more, it sucks.

I'll keep my PS2 until it breaks so I can get perfect PS2 gaming...

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i have never owned a ps2, and as i am now old enough to work and can afford to buy one i'd rather get a ps3 which is b/c rather than fork out £80- £100 quid for a ps2 so i can cath up on the games i missed, namely the metal gears and ff games. I used to consider the ps3 having more value for money because it could play these games, but now its looking like more of a rip off to me

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Old PS's breaking? I have 2 PS1's one was bought launch week and a PS2, all 3 of them still work :)

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm in the same camp that doesn't particularly care about backwards compatibility, I wouldn't mind it, but if it's not hardware BC, don't even bother. The only Xbox game I play on my 360 is Halo 2 (very occasionally), because of the poor BC I got with KotOR, if I want to play an original Xbox game, I play it on my old Xbox. I think BC is a great idea, if that means I need less boxes under my TV then that's great, but if it's going to be half assed software emulation, then IMO, don't even bother, it's crap.

@ LeMaltor: You're very lucky, the PS1 seems pretty sturdy, unfortunately I had my old one stolen so I can't comment on it's longevity, but I heard they're pretty good. PS2's however, I only know one person with a PS2 who didn't have it DRE on them.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

My Ps1 never broke but my PS2 did. Ps2 only broke because I was living with students who pretty much beat the crap out of it and it refused to work.

I bought my PS2 the same time my bro did not long after the launch and his is still working and been passed onto our older brother for his kids. There is still life in that fat brick.

16. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

BC is very important to me. I have 2 PS2, one for BC on UK games and one on BC for imports. Just wish the PS3 did both :(

17. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The thing to me is the fact that with one of the PS3 updates they added upsampling. So for people with HDTVs the PS2 games will look much better on the PS3 because the PS3 is doing the scaling and not the TV.

Sony also took out some of the PS2 chips from the 60gig model that reduced it's backwards compatibility.

18. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

i don't see any problems either. it's not that sony doesn't WANT to put bw compatibility, just that looking at it from a business point of view, it's not productive for them in terms of cost/benefit. if you want to play ps2 games (as I do), just buy the high-end model, and don't start with that "it's too expensive" crap. anyone who can save money for a 400€ ps3 can wait a bit more and save further to buy the 600€ model. took you half-year to save 400€? well then, just be patient for other 3 months and you'll have the whole package. really, i just think it's a matter of planning ahead, saving and being patient to get what you want. you've got to earn it guys, things don't fall from the sky.

19. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

That's ********.
    I've had my PS2 since launch day, and it still works fine. It's been chucked about, mistreated, and never fails to play games.

20. fleole

fleole What's a Dremel?

Where can you find the different tech spec of the different model ??

Like said a guy before, where is the time when a console got the same tech spec from beginning to end.....

Console become like PC.... and I find that annoying.

Tags: Add Tags