Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 11 Oct 2009.
or possibly sooner or later?
If there was one thing I could say for sure, it's that Nvidia will be pushing towards at least a December(or late November) release date. No big self-respecting company would let the competition soak up sales.
Then again ATI did that with the 2900XT.
sony did it with the ps3 lol...
I think we should start seeing leaks in the next few weeks.
leaked photo's and benchmarks within 4 weeks.
Or miss a bucket load of cash on sales.
If it's not soon, nvidia have no option.
Price cuts on the 200 series.
If you head over to Tech ARP they say the GTX380 will be released on the 27th Nov 2009, did they just guess?
I went from a G92 BFG 8800GT OC to an EVGA GTX 260 SSC 216. I had the 8800 running at 675MHz with a good aftermarket cooler & the 260 in some respects didn't seem like such a marked upgrade as I'd have hoped but when I posted that view (in the old CPC forum) I was questioned on my conclusions. Perhaps throwing some effort & a little cash into modding & overclocking your existing card would return some cheap gain. though at that res I suspect 512Mb is part of the problem (bargain 2nd hand same card in SLi an option?)
Some benchmarks put my card as performing better than GTX 280 performance, and if you can find one (the 260 SSC 216) they are pretty cheap. Looking at how the PC architecture is changing, I'd say nvidia have the edge on the way their architecture is put together, hence the massive difference in folding@home performance. Mirrors Edge runs smooth as silk with the 260, but GTA IV needs a bit of tweaking. If you get the timing right (I didn't, unfortunately), the EVGA 90-day step-up program could work for you assuming you can find a new one.
For more a general option, I'd suggest whichever road you go on hold on to the bulk of your upgrade cash till after christmas with a view to either picking up a devalued 2009 tech card on the cheap or simply take advantage of the fall in pre-christmas premium on the later cards. If you're looking for a more immediate performance increase, I'd advise some caution & keep your budget under £150. That new 5 series ATI looks not half bad for the money & is likely to hold it's resale value for a few months at least should you decide it's not good enough.
I already have overclocked my card as far as it will go, and I think I'm going to pick up a 275 (or 285, I haven't decided) on newegg.com in a few weeks.
Why don't you just get a 5850? It's a lot cheaper than the GTX 285 and only a bit more than the GTX 275, but is faster than both of them. You probably wouldn't even need to worry about getting a 5870 then as it's only a bit faster again.
The title of this thread should be 5870 or wait for 5870x2.
The answer is lampant
and if lucid works.. would be perfect to throw in two 5850's into one of those boards- you'd have the crysis killer and be future proofed for another two years.. a nvidia setup couldn't even touch that price/performance wise or even just performance wise
the 380 IF it does release (they are just fooling around with the public imo).. will be insanely expensive, that's just from watching how nvidia works and buying their cards the last couple of years.. and if they release the card on the market (actually in stores) next month I will eat my shorts
I've been trying to figure out what that means but so far all I've come up with is that it's the French word for kerosene
As for the 5850, any idea on when bit will release its review? It sounds good, but I'll have to see.
Right now, it's the only 5xxx series card I'd seriously consider buying.
The 5870 was very tempting but I passed on it because I figured I'd wait until DX11 was further developed; that's why I thought I would just buy the 275/285 for now.
I'm waiting until the 2nd gen of current cards(i.e HD5890 etc..) so the old guys would've cheapened up. If there's indication I went from a 6600GT to a HD4850. I'm waiting for at least 100%+ performance.
I took an Italian word and made it fit into English (as was done once); Italian is not a real language, it's a Latin dialect from one of the cultural centers. As such has many words that are related to English
lampante; the figurative meaning of this word in Italian is obvious, blatant, plain, apparent
lampant in French is: clear, pure, bright, limpid
That doesn't make any sense. The 5870 delivers better performance than the 285 (nevermind the 275) at a similar price point in games that are out now, in addition to having support for future titles.
He means that he'll wait until DX11 is more widely adopted before he buys one. Not to mention that it would be a huge investment to buy one now, seeing as the prices are sure to drop, at least hopefully to:
^That. Plus I would be giving up PhysX in games, otherwise I would be on the 5870 in a heartbeat.
But why would you buy an inferior card now and then get the super card which is available now in the future?
Am I just mis-reading what you wrote?
Separate names with a comma.