1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment 6Dii

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by chrisb2e9, 30 Jun 2017.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Hello,
    Just saw that the new Canon 6d2 is available for pre-order. As someone who owns a 6D, i'm wondering if upgrade time is in my future. What does everyone else think? Is this camera worth the $$$ or would a different body with an adaptor for canon glass be a better option?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have the 6D like you and I would definitely upgrade to the 6DII if I had the money. I'll wait for it to drop in price then upgrade in a year or two I think. £2k is a bit steep but you always get that price hike with new releases

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Yeah, I agree. I bought the 6D a little early and didn't like how soon after that the price went down. Going to hold off, read reviews and maybe next year look at getting one.
    Saw a guy on the train today with a sigma 150-600. Maybe get one of those this year instead...

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Glass over a new body, if your current iteration of camera body is doing fine and you've got cash burning a hole then its always better to invest in glass then hardware, hardware can only do so much to improve your images at the end of the day its only ever as good as the glass your shooting through. I'm still using a 5Dmk2 even though I think we're up to 4 or 5 now (don't really keep track till this one dies).

IanW likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

What MDK said.

Lenses opens up a world of extra options. No camera is worth upgrading to if you've already a camera body, even the original 5D is more than good enough.

For example, I'm still rocking the Fujifilm X100, it came out in 2010. I ditched Canon 5D2 and 4 L lenses for Fujifilm X system a few years ago, couldn't be happier. Soon after I bought my Fuji camera, a new body X-T10 came out using the same sensor and processor as my one. A few months later, my X-E2 received a free firmware update to bring its capability up to the newest camera standard. The money I saved not buying X-T10 allowed me to purchase 60mm macro and experiment with macro photography.

chrisb2e9 likes this.
  6. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Yep, agree. I'm still using a Nikon D3. A new camera body, especially a single generation, won't improve your photos at all (unless pixel peeping, which if anyone apart from yourself is doing it, means you failed to capture a good photo). Invest in glass and/or lighting. They both last longer too.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I generally agree with the "glass over body" suggestions, but these days I find myself in a curious position. I need a "proper" walkabout lens (24-70L and 24-105L under consideration) to replace an ageing Tamron 17-50, but at the same time my 50D is about giving up the ghost (and is EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!). So it's difficult to figure out what to spend money on first. The 6D2 seems like a good opportunity to add a FF body to my bag to go alongside the 7D2 for action/aviation. the 24-105 isn't really filling a gap in my line-up, it'll just be a decent step up from the Tammy.

Decisions, decisions...

8. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

When you're that far back (I'm in the same boat) yeah, I'd say a body upgrade would be worth it. I'm considering a 2nd hand D4 or D4s at some stage soon.

9. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

7yrs 8months so far for my 5D2 still shoots as good as the day I got it, bar the fact the Ports are dead as the board to fix them is the same cost as a 2nd hand one its all good :), but I would love a 70-200 MK2 :) at some point atleast then if my body does give up the ghost I've got a current generation lens to go with the body.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Another vote for glass from me. Admittedly the 6Dii looks like an attractive upgrade option, e.g. big step up in the focus department with 45 cross type AF points, and also a substantial boost in resolution from 20MP up to 26MP (effective). But none of these make better photos, which is the difficult thing to accept!

Props for sticking with the 50D - that was my first Canon camera and it's a great crop body! When I ventured into FF I started with a 1Ds ii, which was still an amazing camera at the time. If I were in a position to upgrade to FF I'd probably buy a preowned body to give myself a better budget for glass (the 1Ds ii was exactly £1k, and my first two lenses for it were £1.5k, also preowned). If buying FF now I'd probably choose a 6D because of the value for money and good middle-of-the-road resolution. Better glass will get you great photos with a 20MP body.