1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 7 Screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joco2_uk, 31 Oct 2012.

1. joco2_uk

joco2_uk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I want to know if it is possible to build a computer that can run 7 TV's at once?

Please help!

Many thanks

John

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Yes, you'll need either:
    2x AMD video cards (1 must be 'Eyefinity Edition').
    or
    a motherboard with 3 PCI-e 16x slots and any 3 video cards of your choice.

Edit: if integrated graphics aren't an issue, you get away with just 2 regular video cards, or 1 eyefinity card. Still might be worth going with 3 though, just so you don't need displayport adapters.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  3. joco2_uk

Any suggestions what graphics cards would be decent? It isn't for games. It is to run 7 simultaneous slideshows on the 7 different screens.

4. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

That would depend on the inputs on the screens and what resolution you want to drive them at. Is it going to be HDMI and 720p? Or 1080p?

Without needing to game the cheapest ones that meet the requirements should be fine.

EDIT: For example, three of these would be just fine if the output they provide can drive the monitors you want, and you have a motherboard with three PCI-E x16 slots.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...50mhz-80-cores-d-sub-hdmi-dual-link-dvi-i-hdc

Last edited: 31 Oct 2012
  5. joco2_uk

Can any one give advice on what other components I would need. This PC would have to be on 24/7.

Thanks

John

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If all you're doing is running slideshows, it wouldn;t need to be much. an old core2duo/quad would be fine. have a look through the marketplace/ebay to pic up a bargain! although note you can only access the marketplace after you've got 75 posts.

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

8. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I think it would be extremely helpful if you looked i believe in the hardware section stickey and post from the format there. But basically we need to know what programs you will need to run, what the primary and secondary uses will be, you already stated the number of monitors, and so on some general information on what and why your building it so we can give you good advice. Ill go and see if I can find the post for you on build advice. I am not trying to be difficult I just want to ensure you get what you need and not something you don't.

EDIT: Here you go. Clickey Read the 1 st post it contains good information and the 2nd post is the template we like to use.

9. joco2_uk

Hi,

I was just wondering if I could run 3 GT610's? Would it have to be SLI or will the computer see the 3 cards individually?

Thanks

John

10. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

As far as I understand, it's the opposite -- you can NOT run SLI if you want to connect monitors to more than one card.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can run SLI with multiple monitors. For what he needs, he can run multiple cards without enabling SLI as well.

If I was you, I would buy 2 graphic cards with at least 2 DVI ports and use splitter cables off of each DVI port, so you can run upto 8 monitors. You would need to enable each display as a a duplicate of the desktop, and that will give you your slideshow on all the monitors.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Double post...

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If all the monitors are displaying the same thing, I think running multiple graphics cards would be overkill and a waste of electricity.

Surely a better way would be to use one graphics card and a splitter like play_boy_2000 suggested (there's a UK one here). It avoids all the issues of running multiple GPUs, getting the desktop settings right, power issues and so on.

The advantage of one GPU and a splitter is that is much, much cheaper than multiple GPUs and a system and PSU capable of handling it all - remember the acronym KISS at all times.