1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 7600X dual CPU power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 14 Feb 2024.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I upgraded my son's friends pc today using an MSI 650 tomohawk, 7600X CPU and 32gb of 4800 ddr5.

I was surprised to see pins in the socket on an AMD CPU even though I'd read about it a while back but that went okay.

The other thing I found was dual 8 pin CPU power connectors. He has a TX750M PSU which has a spare CPU/PCIe connector but there was only 1 CPU cable supplied.

Does the 7600X need two power cables, I read it's only strictly necessary if you are using a higher tdp CPU and are using both PCIe slots.

He has a 4080 super GPU.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It'll only be for the high end CPU's. That CPU has a TDP of only 105W, so will be fine with one connector :)

CrapBag likes this.
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks

Yeh that's what I guessed but thought I'd better get my facts straight seeing as it's someone else's pc

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The second one is usually for the memory. Like, if you were heavily overclocking the memory.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You could happily run a 7950x with just 1 eps cable. It has four 12V lines unlike pice cable, and they're not afraid to shove as much wattage as possible through it, which I think is about 350W as long as the wire is rated for it.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

He's having problems with booting, red and orange lights and fluctuating performance.

IS this due to the cable (I'm thinking not from what's been said here) or maybe ram compatibility, I read some where the other day that the Tomohawk has issues with some corsair ram.

I know he would feel more comfortable adding one in regardless so I might put up a wanted as corsair want £4.99 and then a tenner shipping on top, maybe someone here has a dead psu with a spare cable

Last edited: 19 Feb 2024
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh manual says red is CPU, orange would be ram. I'd try resetting the bios to system defaults, see if it still occurs. If it does could try updating the bios.

Might have a spare cable, but would need to double check what variant of pin-out it came from and if it's compatible.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Its got the latest bios as we did that straight after I put it all together, there were 3 beta bios's though.

Yeh Ive noticed that there are different corsair variants regarding the cabling, as mentioned in the first post he has a TX750M, not sure if there is more than one variant of that model or not.