Graphics 8800gt review request

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakenbake, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

you'll have to wait and see :p

2. Major

Major Guest

Yeah no rush, but.

You could release a small comparison review, and then release the full review when it's done, will make people happy. :)

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Anyone able to give me the breakdown on why such a big deal is being made over these Graphics cards? im totally bewildered about it - apart from "more stream" processors, what is so good about them? are they better than the GTS series? someone break it down for me in simple terms since im a total noob :(

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

there should be a review up in the morning explaining all the chaff :)

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

According to benchmarks and reports, they're faster than the GTS640 in most situations, approach the performance of the GTX in some situations, and are in the price region of the GTS320.

I'd wait for the Bit-Tech review as the final word on the matter though, expect a professional report on the matter then. :thumb:

Edit: Tim beat me to it. :D

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

If the Anandtech review is to be trusted, it blows away Nvidia's entire current line-up in price performance and outperforms everything but the GTX all for between 200-250 dollars and consumes less power in a single slot cooling solution due to it being manufactured on a 65nm die.

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and should oc like a monster

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Gotcha :D Im definately keeping my eye out for now then, hopefully i can get my hands on one before crysis hits...i hope the review tells us which version is the best as theres usually plenty of variations to choose from and knowing which is the best value is quite tricky? Looking forward to the review....comon Tim!!!!

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

sorry, I had a rant in the middle of the review. I'm just about finished now - it was more work than I thought! :blush:

10. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

I knew it was worth staying up late, awesome work.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Doesn't surprise me for some reason :p

12. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

Its not to be trusted. Ever.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

huh why?

14. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Guess this means no review till Monday.. Epic Phail.

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well regardless of any controversy, the performance charts and the price tag on the unit don't lie, unless you're telling me that Anandtech intentionally falsifies their performance charts in their tests. There's no doubt in my mind that they could be a lot more thorough (like ol' Tim here) but I really don't see a reason to completely discount their performance comparisons. I do cringe at the sheer amount of clutter and ad-space on that site, though.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well I dont think a single blog is conclusive proof of anything. Everyone gets **** flinged their way and that blog just sounds like a nit picking AMD fanboi-ism. The way people write changes as they learn more about why companies do things - and that should always be translated to the reader so they understand as well, by this guy is trying to point out consistency over YEARS. It's not integrity that's in question, it's point of view - that's why you read a multitude of sites to get an overall idea. If someone says something good or bad about anything, suddenly they're pro-this or anti-that.

Take the iPhone for a prime example - say you dont like it and you're called a hater, say you do and you're called a fanboy. Can ANY review be taken seriously because of it? It's the same with NV/ATI, AMD/Intel, the list goes on.

That's not to say some companies don't try it on and I love it when they do, simply because it's the only time I'm allowed to laugh in someone's face (or, over the phone). It's extremely satisfying. As a general rule of thumb, only the people we consistently work with realise how impartial work = decent review because readers aren't stupid and they will get angry if it's ****. So for a long term selling strategy it's cheaper and more effective to just make BETTER products. Because we look at their competitors too we are essentially "free" comparative entities that lets them know how they exist for the cost of sending us a bit of kit. It works both ways - they get nothing out of a review site if they can be bent so people don't go back. Some people get angry, because they blindly believe in their products, but if we're technically correct - as in, our results, not a technicality - (personal opinion and preference is something else and weighs in much less) then they can't effectively complain.

The problem is, everyone thinks they're an expert from the experiences they have 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand and the internet makes everyone feel special. Very rarely we get accused of it, which makes us laugh because of the lengths we go to make us often late to publish as we like to break things (Tim does this more often than me :D) to offer the complete and open view. It's also easier because we're British and therefore born cynical, but if you're a MASSIVE site like Anand people don't like to see you succeed - we're also getting this as we get larger too. Every-single company experiences it.

The adverts are a completely different issue - I agree with you and while it makes the ad selling harder for the guys upstairs, thankfully we have a strict set of people internally that are very willing to critisise something new if we think it's too much :D But if you want proper content, you have to look at Ads or a subscription - that's just how it is. But the only way to do it is to NOT have editorial selling ads - have separate people (like we do), that way there's no conflict of interest.

EDIT: I dont even know Anand - I've never met him or anyone from there actually, I'm just saying how "it" is. He's not stupid enough to be outright biased - editorial integrity = business. Lose it and you're ****ed, which is another reason why we work so hard. Which is hard in this business, because as you get bigger people cynically expect you to be more prone to corruption.

EDIT2: That took longer than I thought :|

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2007
  18. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Just been looking at the Anandtech reviews, they seem to think the graphics cards are pretty sweet. Although id rather wait for a Bit-tech review to be honest but i think il place an order for an EVGA superclocked now to get it first hand :)

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What to get - a 8800GT or a HD3850/3870?

Guess I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to find out (Nov 16th release for the Radeon's). Pah.

20. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

Thats why I added the "I'm feeling lucky part." I meant there are comments all over the web about it.

Anandtech seems to always give higher ratings to certain companies. ExtremeTech does this too, although not nearly as bad. That is why I have simply stopped reading what they have to say. I feel as if their mentality is "Oh, we just got a $800 graphics card for free. I better write a good review or else we won't get anything else again." For this reason, I enjoy reading Bit-Tech's reviews of products and comparing them to others, because I feel you guys do give very unbiased, "complete and open view." And thank god someone is doing it.

Long term? Technology changes so quickly, that 6 months is long term anymore. And even if the product was amazing at the time it came out, it gets kicked to the curb when their newly updated version comes out (*cough*8800gts*cough*). Why do companies release a 8800GTS 640 MB card for some horrific price ($500?), but then 6 months later release a better card for almost half of the original? So you buy both. But now we are getting into business ethics...

I think "bias" got confused a little bit the way I used it and the website example I brought up. What I meant was inaccurate, or 'adjusted' results. Or even taking the data and making it seem better than it really is, because there is no way to tell exactly how they came up with the numbers. I actually enjoy reading the more biased material on the web, it makes me laugh (even when I oppose what the writer is saying.)