1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits A Brief Introduction to Taiwan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 Jun 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Jun 2009
  2. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

lol the scooter picture looks like a faggio race in GTA lol.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Apparently you can sit at the top of the tower in a typoon and your tea won't even spill.

4. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

very interesting article. cheers

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

nice article

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Really nice article!

But the Taipei 101 is 1671 FEET high and 80 METRES deep on earth? Gotta love measure differences.

@ Ending Credits: You sit at the top of a tower? That didn't sounded very much manly... JUST KIDDING!!!

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I thought the Burj Dubai was the tallest now at 2,684 feet high.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

it doesn't officially count until it's finished and measured i think...

9. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Yup. Will probably be September 2009 when it takes the title.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ahh got you, that makes sense. It is the tallest structure but not the tallest building until finished.

11. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Very nice article. I thought Taiwan is independent country. If only chinese governement took a lesson or two from Taiwan...

It seems there are 2 invalid links on pics on page 2.

(and the last sentence on page 2 - "The building is so tall, the rest of the city looks flat, like a texture in a game." - it would be more correct to add "with displacement mapping turned off" :) )

12. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Very interesting read! Thanks! :thumb:

13. Terru

Terru What's a Dremel?

Although I have been reading bit-tech for ages, I have just registered to comment on this post!

As a Canadian studying Chinese in Taiwan, I really appreciated you writing this article about Taiwan, giving many readers the chance to learn a bit about a country that is pretty much the PC capital of the world. A lot of people here love PC's and all things high-tech, but don't know much about the PC Mecca of the east. It is not Tokyo, it is Taipei (Taibei for Mandarin speakers). Even though I am not ethnic Chinese, and even though my Chinese language ability is still lacking, I find Taiwan to be one of the friendliest and easiest places to live in Asia.

So everyone, next time you are in east Asia region, give Taiwan another look!

Oh, and Bit-Tech, on the off-chance that you are hiring, please consider this Canadian-English Chinese student as a potential hire. I live in Taipei, 5 minute walk away from Gigabyte HQ and I spell colour with a "u". Thanks! :D

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, SOLD! That's really the only requirement anyone needs to get by in the world.

15. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I was in Taiwan in the 70's and 80's and no one caused me any problems with more than 10 persons, had a good time there and stayed in the Grand hotel which was fabulous, however i believe that you have to be a real Top nob to stay there now !!

16. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Having lived in Tapei and Shanghai and in and out of Hong Kong in the past two, three years, the difference between the three cities is amazing.

Taipei: people queue,
    Hong Kong: people sometimes queue.
    Shanghai: people shove you out of the way.

Taipei: the gap between poor and rich is not so far, poor means you dont have a sports car or a big house, and probably a student
    Hong Kong: Same as above I think.
    Shanghai: very big difference, poor means youre begging on the streets, picking in the bins for food. They are everywhere.

Taipei: walking in the computer market, its smoke free and people smile at you. You will probably pay market price, and get a small discount if you can.
    Hong Kong:same as above mostly, but do shop around.
    Shanghai: quickly develop lung cancer in the computer market, and people grab you by your cloths and beg you to buy things you dont want for way over the real price, get a massive discount if you know what the real price of things.

Taipei: clean, most the time, people put rubbish in bins!
    Hong Kong: same as above, with the added effect of SARS and Bird Flu, making everyone even more careful.
    Shanghai: not very clean, litter bugs every where, very dirty in some parts, very polluted air.

Taipei: normal everyday food is tasty, clean, people serving you are also clean.
    Hong Kong: same as above.
    Shanghai: normal everyday food is a gamble, mostly very oily.

17. Dogers

Dogers What's a Dremel?

Having been to Beijing, Shanghai and Shenyang, I'd have to agree with Vampalans observations (although I didn't find Shanghai to be *quite* that bad..)! Shenyang is by far the better of the three though, not being a well known major city.

It's awesome seeing bikes go by with hulking great PCs/printers/you name it on the back of them though :)

18. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

~naaa it isnt THAT big... honest~

[​IMG]

19. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Just out of interest, what camera was used to take the pictures in the article?

20. quasimodox

quasimodox What's a Dremel?

I was born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan. It's interesting to see my homeland being brought up here. I guess not many of you here have experienced a confused or pretended reaction on answers to the simple question of "where are you from?" :)

The fair view of Taiwan is really appreciated, Mr. Watson. And yes, we do use Need for Speed for our driving test, and it will be updated with Grand Theft Auto soon~ ;-P

Tags: Add Tags