1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A-level Results and uni places- Good Luck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sir Digby, 20 Aug 2009.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I'll let you off, you don't speak French

2. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Well done everybody, if you applied to Brighton I saw your results 4 days ago so Ha, hard work doing clearing now, everytime the refresh key is hit 10 new emails appear, and I hit that key very very often. Not fun. Well done everybody though.

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I'm off to the University of Sheffield in Sept. as a mature student. I am doing a part time BSc in IT and Organisations, looking forward to it too. I can't help feeling like a 5yr old again, waiting for my first day at school - feeling nervous:D

Good luck to all those who are starting in Sept, and I hope those who are waiting for results do well too:thumb:

4. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

Just got back from collecting results and of course the obligatory celebration at the pub.

A in maths
    A in computing
    B in further maths
    C in physics.

Got what I needed so I am quite happy.

Ending Credits likes this.
  5. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

I missed out on my place at Bristol by 17 marks out of 600 total. Got ABB instead of AAB.
    The paper I messed up was taken in the same week that I wrote off my car and found out my grandad had terminal cancer.
    Bristol wouldn't even let me plead my case even though I was so close to the requirements.

Gutted. :(

Ending Credits likes this.
  6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Stompy, but when you apply for top universities they expect only the very best. Often they won't listen to extenuating circumstances that don't have a doctor's note attatched.

There're plenty of clearing places out there for most courses, I'm sure you can find a decent university you fancy.

Don't forget you could always take another year and try again with your A-levels, no shame in that. It might seem odd now, but once you get to uni you'll find allsorts of ages in any year - it's really not important at all.

7. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Tough break stompy. And if clearing fails, you can always re-apply and take a gap year. It worked for me:thumb:

8. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

A in maths A level and AS combined, got full marks in 3 papers and 89-91 in the other 3, bit annoyed that one (C3) was below 90.

Quite pleased with a 2 in STEP I though, wasn't sure about how that went.

Now just got to worry about Cambridge interviews next term...

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I am going to follow this thread and maybe in several days and lots of Google I might get some idea of the education systems outside of the US.

Proceed on. I watch. Oh, and congrats to people going to Uni.:clap:

john

10. Combinho

Most people in the UK won't know what STEP is.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A self-serving exam which informs the rest of us that Cambridge have no confidence in the current exam system.

12. Combinho

The same thing happens with medicine too.

13. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Ah yes, the UKCAT, so long ago.

Well done everyone, I've been watching all of the 'exams these days' and 'youth of nation' drivvel on the news and it makes me so annoyed thatnobody seems to care tha A-levels are, in a headline, the hardest exams you'll ever take.

Anyone coming to Newcastle? I'm just about to go into my final year, and I work there too. Almost got my postgrad sorted to boot!

14. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

STEP is basically the Cambridge maths entrance paper, though a few other Universities ask for it as well. STEP I AND II mainly use the normal A-level maths syllabus with much harder questions, and STEP III uses the further maths syllabus.

I'm not applying for maths anyway but my whole maths set did it a year early to give us something to do other than fairly boring A-level stuff (most of which we had already done).

15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Congrats to everyone getting in!

Stompy, while it sucks now, you can always try again. I was rejected from 80% of the universities I applied too and now with a 3.57/4 college GPA I am hopefully getting in to all the ones that originally rejected me. Keep your chin up! There is always a second chance, you just have to work at it :thumb:

16. psymon

psymon What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure I know someone who was in a very similar situation and has now just graduated from Manchester Uni with a degree in Physics...

17. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Off to Northumbria to do Computer Science BSc, looking forward to it. Start of freshers week is really early its the 14th of september.

18. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

bleh delete me :(

19. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I guessing you want to do phys natsci or engineering? Ether way, 570/600 is a very impressive result in maths, well done! FYI, STEP III is a similar standard to the 1A maths for natsci tripos paper at Cambridge.

20. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Sooo AS results...

A - Product Design
    B - Maths - 1 mark off A, just need to work a little harder than I would of next year :)
    B - Physics - 3 marks off A, as above :)
    C - Further Maths - never have I been so happy to see a D than when I saw my M2 module results
    C- Critical Thinking

Overall I'm pretty happy with my results, although I'm considering resitting maths C2 and M1.

Edit: So, seen as I'm (hopefully) likely to get offers of ABB or AAB i'm quite happy.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2009