1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A month to get a little bit better shape

Discussion in 'General' started by Sloth, 15 Jun 2012.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As per the title, I've got a little over a month to get myself into slightly better shape and be more prepared for a physical examination required for a job application. I understand that this timeframe isn't large enough to work any miracles and I'm not looking for any, just something to brush myself up.

The goal I've set is defined by the requirements to pass the exam, on July 21st. The full details of the exam are here, a couple pages down. The short version, I'd like to get as close to meeting the maximum points possible for each category which is:

-35 push-ups, no time limit.
    -38 sit-ups in a minute.
    -300 meter run in 56 seconds
    -1.5 mile run in 13:35.

I believe I can meet the minimum requirements in the shape I am, but in a competitive selection process requirements don't always cut it and would like to reach those levels above. So far my training has consisted of doing 20 push-ups and 30 sit-ups in the morning, then the same when I get home from work and before going to bed. I intend to step this up each week until the test as it's not my max. I haven't done any running yet but hike quite often so my legs aren't totally dormant, this weekend I want to try a preliminary run at each distance and get times to work from and incorporate daily runs. At my disposal for training is a bench for lifting weights, some free weights, and a running track open to the public.

Aside from just doing push-ups and sit-ups and running around is there anything else the fine fitness people here can suggest? Tips, tricks, other complimentary exercises to do, any advice is appreciated!

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Out of interest, police, or air national guard?

As for the running. Run a mile every second day for one week. Then run 1.5 miles every second day for one week. Keep on increasing this by 0.5 miles per week. You'll get up to 2.5 miles by the end, and when you do your 1.5 mile run it will feel shorter than expected. Aim for a 10 minute mile (that's hugely relaxed) for the 1st week and just gradually push yourself to get that time down.

edit: Opened the PDF, police it is!

edit 2: Oh and stretch after you run. Just google post-run stretches to find some basic ones and do them for about 5 minutes after you run, otherwise your elastic bands will get all tight and owwy.

edit 3: I said up to 2, not 2.5. You'll hit 2.5 miles in week 4.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2012
  3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Yep, something of a "it's always nagged at my mind, could I actually make it a reality?" affair. No experience or education in law enforcement but thankfully the exams seem to be before any other selection process.

Thanks for the advice, the running schedule in particular I was very uncertain on so that'll help loads on getting something consistent and useful. Would it be useful to focus on the 300 meter at all? I'm a little apprehensive about this one, maybe it'll seem easier once I actually try it.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I wouldn't, but just because I think it'll follow from your 1.5 effort. Here's the thing, if you get the 1.5 down to 10 minutes (that should be a long term aim, if you can't do it by the end of the month) then you're already running at 4 metres a second for 10 minutes. If you can do that, it would just be a bit weird if you couldn't maintain 5.35 metres per second for 53 seconds.

The 300m is probably the hardest thing there thinking about it though. I've known huge fat guys do the 1.5 in 13 minutes, 38 push ups in a minute is easy low (practise, if you're doing less than 50 per minute you're being lazy - don't be lazy). 35 push ups would be hard in a minute if you're totally unfit, but in unlimited time? Piece of cake. Do 5 or 10, stop for 30 seconds. Rinse and repeat until you get to 35.

So perhaps do test yourself with the 300m every few days just to see how your progress is coming along, but I'd say the thing to focus on if you're really worried about fitness is the 1.5. If you're unfit now then by working for a month you can really change your mindset hugely, your fitness will improve, but most of the improvement will come from mindset and coping capacity. If you stop in a 1.5, by the time you start again you might be hitting 14 or 15 minute finish times. I've seen fat guys do a respectable pace to lose it on lack of cardio, stop running in the last 0.5, and come in at 17 or 18 minutes because they do that lame half jog/walk thing that people who're not trying hard enough do. Motivate yourself so that doesn't happen - you stop, the bad guy knifes you - or whatever works for your head.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
  5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Weight loss, if properly managed, will be very useful for you. Try and drop 3kg (low-calorie diets and definitely nothing that increases water retention like fizzy drinks) without losing strength.

Sprint training is another good one for fast fitness boosts. 2x1 hour sessions a week of that will do you very well. Do 90 seconds sprinting, 90 seconds burpees/pressups/squats/whatever. If you go running then finish with sprints.

Specofdusts I don't know what pullups you're doing, but are you really suggesting that it's normal to be able to do full-extension pullups every second? You have to be very fit to do that.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

As Spec have said, don't fall into the trap of running every day. The muscle groups you use for running need restitution, especially if you are not an experienced runner. I have run several half-marathons (21 km's) and even I avoid running two days in a row. It is too stressing on the muscles.

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

If you don't have a set already, get some decent running shoes. The damage you can do to your legs, ankles and hips in the long run by not having a supportive set of running trainers shouldn't be underestimated.

Go to somewhere like "Sweatshop" and do a gait analysis, they will check your running style and recommend a shoe that fits and supports it well. The shoes may cost £60+-or-so but buying a crap pair and getting cramps, aches, and doing permanent damage are the other alternative if you get it wrong.

For exercise I like doing a long Jog, then transitioning into Walk Jog Sprint. Afterwards I do sit-ups, press-ups, core exercises and whatever else and finally some stretching (so important, look on you tube for examples).

Good diet is also important

You don't want to be losing anymore than 3-4 pounds a week

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yeah I forgot that. Shoes are VERY important. My running shoes cost 150£'s and they are the absolute best shoes you can get for your money. Running in shoes that are not fit for you will result in serious injury to your muscles.

9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Funnily enough after years of blisters from fancy running shows shaped to your foot that offer support etc. I found the most comfortable pair of shoes for running are a £30 pair of converse all stars off of amazon. An old thread http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207537 gives some indication why. But basically as humans have evolved as long distance runners the best thing for your foot on relatively even ground is to let it move naturally.

As for training regime start off with 1 mile and build up as you go. I wouldn't go much past two miles however as 1.5 miles is more of a middle distance run. Instead push yourself hard over those two miles. This should also help with the 300m which is a sort of endurance sprint.

I wouldn't focus too much on 300m . Best way to see an improvement within a month would be to work on technique. If you know any one that does sprints in athletics in real life see if they can show you any tips. Hard to describe on line but basically keep on the ball of your foot, bring your knees up right angles at the top of your stride and try to stay upright to leaning ever so slightly forward with your torso. A tip my old sprint coach gave me was to think of the ground as hot coals, you want to be in contact with it for as little time as possible. So it's quick light steps rather than trying to "push" yourself forward.

I wouldn't recommend weight loss at this point. It may help with distance run but you may find it impedes muscle growth and so you wouldn't do as well with the strength based tests. The fat should come off from your new regime anyway.

Last of all give yourself a lighter training sessions in the last 4-5 days before event so you are fully recovered for it. But don't stop training all together.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

for pressups - if you want to take those up a notch do them with your feet up on the bed.

In the morning I do 3 sets of 25 with my feet up on the bed, one set with my hands normal distance apart, one set with them closer together, and the last set with my hands touching in the middle - i then do a set of normal pressups to exhaustion, which is normally about 30 - 40 pressups. It did take me a while to build up to that, I started with 2 sets of 15, one on the bed one off the bed.

If you do that, when the time comes to do 35 pressups, they will be easy!

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This. People mistakenly think that weight loss is a prerequisite of improved fitness... it's not. Since this is a physical examination and not a weigh-in, your training and diet should reflect that - you need to take in plenty calories if you're going to be doing things like endurance running and sprinting. Just eat good healthy food and don't worry about your weight.

As for straightforward training advice, I would say that simply walking (briskly) every day for at least 30 minutes is a really good way to complement any other training that you do.

It'll be very hard to make a significant difference in only 4 weeks, but well worth a try. Don't overdo it - make sure you get plenty of rest between trainng days as well. :thumb:

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Couldn't agree more on the shoe front - we're told over and over how hugging running shoes are important. It's just not the case, we've evolved to run bare footed, not on a wrap around pillow! Light flat tennis shoes are great for running.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Pushups and sit ups, not pull ups. They are different things. Edit: Sorry my bad just realised I'd said pullups. Unintended.

Have to third the running shoe thing. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a nice pair of running shoes. That said, I ran plenty just fine in the £10 British Army Hi-Tec's they dish out to you when you get all your kit.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A general comment on weight loss, I'm not looking to lose any weight out of this. I'm already underweight and would probably be unhealthy to lose anything! As such I've started on a filling diet. Picked up a bunch of nuts and dried fruit, restocked on rice, some veggies to steam, chicken to boil, et cetera. No fast food, trying to make sure everything that goes in is used for energy. It's going to be tough but I've also largely cut out soda. Picked up some water flavoring, along with my guilty pleasure of Calpis concentrate for a treat.

For shoes, I'm a-okay with spending on decent kit! I'll probably take the advice for a lighter more natural moving show. I like running and walking barefoot.

15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

If your already used to doing that than you will be fine for a barefoot shoe. I tried some Vibram five fingers but I have oddly proportioned toes and I couldn't get into them properly. I then bought a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves and they have been excellent.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I tried the Vibram ones before back when they first came out but had the same problem, my toes didn't want to go where the shoes thought they should. Those Merell's look great, though. I'll have to look around their site and see if any stores have some similar shoes to try on. My wallet's already getting eager... I keep seeing other shoes and sandals to pick up for everyday wear and hiking!