Graphics AA/AF in CCC not working

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by boiled_elephant, 11 Mar 2009.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

CCC is being temperamental. I'm trying to force AA and AF in Oblivion, and half the time it does it, half the time it doesn't. It seems to work if I turn off catalyst AI and everything else, apply, then change it back again and launch the game. But next time launching, it stops applying them again. Oblivion just seems to be slapping CCC's hands away every time it tries to force the filters. Anyone know a way to make it force them consistently, without so much unpredictable dicking around?

2. boiled_elephant

Update: have upgraded to ATI's v9.2 drivers, still problematic. Some things I've worked out:

- Keeping CCC's main app open after applying settings usually stops them from applying - you have to "ok" it down to the systray before launching a game for AA/AF to apply.

- You pretty much have to have Catalyst AI on 'standard' for them to apply - with it off, I've never had them work, and only a couple of times with it on 'advanced'.

- An almost-surefire way to get it to apply is, each time before launching a game, you open the main window, disable AI, AA and AF, apply, then re-enable them, apply and close. That usually ensures they'll work.

- Alt-tabbing out of the game then back into it cancels out AA/AF, and you have to close/relaunch to get them on again.

- 'Adaptive antialiasing' is touch-and-go. It doesn't apply in most games, seemingly regardless of whether normal AA is enabled or not. Haven't got it to ever work in Oblivion yet.

I wish ATI would fix their damned drivers a bit more...

3. boiled_elephant

Another finding: Catalyst's four different methods of MSAA still take effect, even when Catalyst's MSAA is disabled. Catalyst has four types of MSAA - box, narrow triangular tent, wide triangular tent and edge-detect, in order from least to most effective. Edge-detect is the most accurate and looks best, but obviously consumes the most graphical processing power.

What I discovered was that whichever method you select will be the one used by some games when you enable antialiasing in their ingame menus. My example is Crysis - if you disable AA in Catalyst, set the method to narrow tent and then enable AA in Crysis, it creates a blurry layer over everything beyond a certain distance (presumably some weird disharmonious interaction between the type of MSAA and the game's lighting/blur effects).
    Box and edge-detect both result in a clear picture in Crysis, the latter looking better (again proving that Catalyst's methods stay active when its MSAA isn't). I haven't bothered to test this phenomenon in other games yet. But if your Crysis looks blurry as hell with AA enabled...there you go :)