1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abstractz0r! [Update 2/12/04]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Protius-X, 23 Aug 2004.

1. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

Small Update
    Well I bought a 10/100 8port switch for AU$7.00 plus a few dollars postage but it didn't have the 7.5v power adaptor to plug into the wall. So, I decided I'd try and find a way to power it off a molex. After a few posts on forums I was told to get a 7808 regulator and given a diagram of how to wire it to a molex - 7808 - plug for switch.
    Diagram:
    [​IMG]

So I went to my local electronics shop and got an LM7812 +12V regulator, pulled a male molex off a dead cc and cut off the right size plug for the switch off a 4.5v adaptor. After I had gathered my components I went down to my dads shed and went about soldering. I used the 12v rail on the molex but the plug on the yellow wire was broken so I just used the red one. After I'd finished (my lovely bodged soldering on the ground wires) and tested it I made a heatsink for the regulator out of a thick chunk of alu cut off an alu L bracket with an angle grinder, smoothed it on all sides, drilled a small hole for a screw and a larger hole halfway through so I could bash a nut in that would hold the regulator on with a screw. I can also screw into the nut from the back so I can mount it somewhere. Anyway, enough typing here is the results. Final network testing will be done some time soon at a lan. This may or may not go into abstractz0r! but I'm sure it will as I'm hoping abstractz0r! will be either a router firewall or a lanbox for storeage etc.

Result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I'm also going to be changing the color scheme a nice blue on the outside with a nice green on the inside, my two favourite colors yay!

2. Protius-X

Well, Abstactz0r! is on hold until I get some money because I'm most likely going to get a more up to date case. Not something flashy just a plain case thats cheap, and make a front bezel from wood. Its also going to be a HTPC instead, already have a p3 800mhz cpu coming my way for it. So yeah, its on hold until I have cash so stay tuned for an update after christmas!

3. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... nice mod! :thumb:

I've got 1 question!

When u planning to finish? :confused: :confused:

4. Protius-X

When I get money to finish it.

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Looking nice... ready to see more.