1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Acer XB321HK 4K 32" IPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 26 Jan 2016.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Has anyone seen a review of one of these panels? clicky
    I cannot find one out there...

I have been using the XB280HK screen that is equivalent to this, although a few inches smaller and it is not IPS.

I have tried out the ROG Swift PG27AQ from ASUS and 2 of them were faulty, so I gave up. I like the idea of 32", seems like a good balance scaling wise.

Does GoodBytes still frequent the board? He is usually a good person to ask about the quality of screens!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Weird but there really doesn't seem to be any out there does there... Doubly weird as, to my eyes, it would seem to be the cheapest IPS G-Sync monitor going...

As for goodbytes, he hasn't been online for about a month...

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

There is a cheaper albeit 27" version. I dare say the technology in both is similar however, equally, this has no reviews!

ACER need to be more proactive sending screens to reviewers! Who do they have in their PR department?!

"I know lets make some gaming displays and then release them with no one knowing about it!"

:rolleyes:

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If you're looking for where they've compromised, it's the max refresh rate of 60hz.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Do you know of a 4K screen that is above 60hz, with IPS and G-Sync?

If so point me in that direction please!

Synced refresh is a must have for me now, like VR will be for most people when it is released.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm sure you've seen the reivew on linus tech tips because its like the third thing you get when you Google the monitor. . Nope that was a differente model. Silly me.

If you've sent back Asus stuff, well I don't think Acer are much better. There has been a definite disparity between reviews and customer experience on some of their monitors, which to me at least makes it seem as though they have been sending cherry picked review samples to the media.

Personally I probably wouldn't buy their products, but at the very least I would need to see high levels of consumer satisfaction before purchase.

7. Parge

The only other one is the Asus one you've already tried and that is 27".A lot of the 34" Ultrawides are 100Hz though.

I'm not saying that it's not a good monitor, I'm just saying that that is its weakness, and likely why its not £1000+.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I tend to agree about Acer, but the XB280HK I own was the first 4k with g-sync released for quite some time, and to be fair it has been excellent. No complaints.

The only reason I sent back the Asus model is because they were faulty. The first had a blown backlight and the second kept inexplicably popping up rectangles or lines of dots.

I have seen that the PG348Q is due in February: 34" curved, 100hz, ips and g-sync. clicky

The 100hz refresh rate will be fantastic. Expensive though.

9. Parge

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Looks great! This is pretty amazing spec wise and available now clicky

11. pre

pre Minimodder

How does G-SYNC work with lower refresh rates? Any benefit at all compared to a steady 75Hz in real world gaming?

12. theshadow2001

Once the frame rate gets too low for the monitor to keep an image on screen G-Sync starts doubling up on the same frame. Effectively doubling the refresh cycle.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It is difficult to put into words what having no lag or v-sync stutter is like. If you are running a demanding game g-sync makes all the difference if the framerate is all over the place. It has made titles like Star Citizen in 4k look butter smooth at very high settings.

Yes if it drops below 30~ then you may get doubling of the same frame, but this is exactly what v-sync does at any framerate less than native refresh. You get head room with g/free-sync. None with v-sync.

In other words G-Sync or freesync are far superior to v-sync, but I am sorry Neo, no one can be told what variable refresh tech is like, you have to see it for yourself.

14. theshadow2001

...or you could say it's like running a game without vsync on but without the tearing as well.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I see the point you are trying to make, yes it would run smoothly like having VRT, and the image is all like:

[​IMG]

Tearing is perhaps the worst of all the issues we are talking about. It is for me anyway.

VRT is awesome, that is all.

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

14ms response times......:eyebrow:

I run an Asus VG248Q @ 144hz without sync to refresh. BF4 can run anywhere between 120 - 170FPS and I've never noticed any tearing.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2016
  17. Parge

You wouldn't at 120fps because your brain can't pick out individual frames at that speed.

GSync is best for high resolution displays, where a normal card would struggle to hit more than 60hz and you'd either get tearing, or use VSync which would reduce your framerate to 30fps, or even 20fps.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Given that I own a Acer monitor I would not recommend them really. Over the years Acer have been good at supplying something that is 'over specced' for the price but always have caveats. For example I too am a XB280HK owner and I got a lot of monitor for the money, sort of. The image quality is quite good but the casing of the monitor looks cheap and nasty and the stand isn't much to write home about. I got 4k and I got G-sync but I only got one input (meaning I had to retire my Hackintosh) and the back light bleed is atrocious.

This is the sort of thing I am referring to with Acer. They do laptops that are specced far higher than the competition but the build quality is naff, they over heat and the hinges are crap.

So having said all of that I certainly wouldn't buy another Acer, even if it purported to be a quality product as tbh? I don't think Acer know how to make one.

I'm growing weary of my XB now. I am continually finding games wanting to sync to 24hz (obviously a mix up due to the way 60hz DP works somewhere) and obviously G-sync is about as useful to me now as a chocolate teapot.

I certainly won't be buying another Acer though.

19. theshadow2001

high refresh rates can reduce the appearance of tearing because the refresh is so quick. However battlefield 4
    seems to work well without sync at high frame rates. Right now I don't get any apparent tearing with vsync off and I run around 90fps to 110fps at 60hz. However when I had gtx 670 sli and just slightly too little vram I got lots of tearing.

Gsync really shines when your in that 40 to 60 fps area. Badly devved games likes assassins creed would really benefit from the technology

20. theshadow2001

All gsync monitors only have 1 input.

To be honest AMD have the low refresh frame doubling problem solved in software which nvidia does in hardware in the gsync unit.

There's very little if any difference now between the technologies. It would be nice if Nvidia stopped being thick headed, cut their loss on gsync and startted to support the display port variable refresh extension on desktops. Especially since they do this already on laptops. Right now they are limiting the number of inputs and upping the price of monitors with little tangible benefits over free sync equivalents