1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source AdBlock Plus Not blocking ads?

Discussion in 'Software' started by The_Crapman, 16 Jul 2013.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Hi all. I use firefow with Adblock Plus. Have done so for years without any problems. For some reason it's started to not block ads. I've run a full virus scan and found nothing, uninstalled and reinstalled adblock plus and firefox, but still getting pop-ups and other crap.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Are all ads showing or just some?

It shows "non-intrusive" ads by default now I believe, you can turn it off in the settings though, check that setting first.

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've noticed ABP enable "allow some non-intrusive" by itself (or most likely on an update) before, which made me think it was broken for a bit. This setting is in "filter preferences", as is the list you are subscribed to and any exception rules. It might be worth checking the list is enabled and that there aren't any other broad exceptions.

Otherwise I'm not sure. If the ads and popups are persistent and similar across a broad range of trusted and untrusted sites then it sounds a bit like malware to me.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well it was on video streaming sites that I've used for ages without any problems. Although one of them (1channel.ch) has just moved/been renamed/rebranded. Am just running a boot scan to check i didn't miss anything on the normal scan, but will check those settings when back in. Would hardly call pop up ads that open in new windows as non intrusive though.

Thanks guys. Have yourselves a click of the man with the large yellow penis.

EDIT: Boot scan revealed some malware. Now thats gone so too have the adverts. I blame the many many security flaws in flash player, not my addiction to Brazilian fart fetish pron. :worried:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jul 2013