1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe to integrate GPU acceleration into Photoshop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Interesting. I look forward to checking this out myself in due time. Should be cool.

3. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Sounds like Adobe is moving forward. I wish I had a good GPU for this though.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It's about damn time Adobe capitalized on the wealth of extra (and appropriate) computing power available to most computers. Theres nothing worse than tweaking a filter in Photoshop, only having to wait 30 seconds to see the result of each incriment.

But the thing I'm really getting excited about is hardware acceleration for flash player 10 - http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/demos/videos/visualperformance.html

Last edited: 28 May 2008
  5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Being a veteran graphic designer and seeing Photoshop grow from the very beginning, I'm excited to see how this turns out. All the earlier releases were leaps and bounds; the later ones....not so much (from a monetary standpoint). But this could be the next leap for Adobe. I'll be cautiously watching.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

about time, cant wait to sink my teeth into it :D

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

the power that CUDA holds is immense

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Should we expect similar from GIMP at some time in the future? Photoshop is mightily pricy for a casual user, unless you have a "special" copy.

9. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Somewhere an Intel exec in charge of badmouthing nVidia is spewing coffee over his desk.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It is quite amazing. The programe can costs hundreds of pounds yet everyone seems to have a copy...

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, I believe you will if the GIMP developers have downloaded the CUDA SDK (which is free).

12. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Gentlemen, fire your Powerpoints!

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

got a full legit edition for me mac for £300, a student edition, but still the full thing. back on topic, i'm well looking forward to this! all of a sudden there's an even better reason to have a high end GPU in both your PC and your mac.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So...
    Intel claims that: "GPU's ARE ONLY USEFUL FOR GAMES" are back in the waste bin. Talking about waste bin, where is the article about Intels 'GPU's are useless' powerpoint presentation have gone?

15. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

what was the GPU they were using in their test rig?
    edit: its about damn time companies other than gaming ones realized people have GPUs in their PC's, actually making use of that single component thats usually the most expensive thing in peoples rigs.
    /edit

Last edited: 28 May 2008
  16. Tim S

Tim S OG

something with more transistors than I've had hot dinners...

17. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

NeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedTM

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

While the GPU may be the most expensive thing in a gamer's rig, it is unlikely to be the most expensive in your average person's PC. IIRC most of the PCs in the world run on integrated graphics, and of those with a separate card, most are not super high end 8800 Ultras or whatever - they are low to midrange cards in the sub-£100 price bracket, which means the CPU or motherboard could easily be more expensive.

Problem is, only gamers are likely to have nVidia 8- or 9-series cards, which are needed for CUDA, so software developers would be developing for a small installed base who could use the accelerated features. Similarly, how do you convince someone who has no interest in games to drop a big investment on a GPU when there is very little (other than games) that will use it? It's chicken and egg, and hopefully this round of software revisions (Photoshop, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, even to an extent Windows Vista with the Aero interface) will be the kick start we need.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

the installed base isn't small... there are 70 million CUDA enabled GPUs on the market to give you an idea of scale. :)

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

:lol:

Tags: Add Tags