1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe to integrate GPU acceleration into Photoshop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 May 2008.

1. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

About time! :D

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

the point is video professionals and graphics professionals will start to invest in discreet GPUS when the products are released the performance gain is so immense that the time saving alone is worth the £300 for a 9800 for example you have to remember that the time used in encoding costs companies money so a measly £300 investment is nothing in reality

so this is going to be a huge success

i wonder how hard it is to code for CUDA

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Apple to start shipping less shoddy GPUs? :p

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Just the other day I was working with a 9-image stitch that resulted in a photo that weighed in at 1.7GB. It took quite some time for CS3 to churn through it, and I was left wondering how long it will take my 12- and 18-image stitches to fully process.

This new feature looks quite handy!

-monkey

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Apple to start shipping less shoddy GPUs? :p

6. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I'm glad to see that CUDA is finnaly getting "mainstream" (ie, for non-programmers). :rock:

Sometime ago, Adobe integrated the PhysX engine on their new Director 11 and nVIDIA also released documentation and source code examples to integrate CUDA in Photoshop Plug-ins/Filters. This means that older versions of Photoshop can use GPU acceleration through plug-ins/Filters.

QFT: Exciting times ahead indeed... :clap:

I'm not an expert, but it seems that porting an application to CUDA isn't too hard (provided you know c/c++). Accelerating it to viable speeds is much more difficult. Then again, I may be wrong... :blush:

7. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I believe the CS3 photoshop has the after effects openGL engine in it already. You can actually use 3d in photoshop. Not sure if it will accelerate blend styles or anything right now though.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

for once im intersted in something adobe have done,but i wont really care till they release linux native photoshop or 64bit flash

9. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

With Photoshop CS3 Extended, you can use 3D. However, CUDA isn't limited to 3D, is about accelerating general intensive tasks (math-intensive, for example) that take a big load from the CPU.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

cuda is C only at the moment, but they intend to allow C++ as well and possibly other langauges. And apparently it isnt much more difficult at all to use, just have to go a different way at the problem

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

yea my laptop is CUDA enabled with an 8600M GT.

...i wonder if it is scalable with SLi, might make desktop do really well with Photoshop

12. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I wonder if you'll need special drivers. Like would this only work on 'professional' cards like Fire GL and Quattro (not unlike how 3DS MAX or AutoCAD don't receive many benefits from mainstream gaming cards).

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

pizan: CUDA scales with SLI.

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Wow, I hadn't realised it was quite that many! I guess that explains why software houses now feel there is a large enough "critical mass" to justify the development cost of CUDA acceleration. As I said, the reason it has taken a while to happen is a bit of a catch 22 - you need an installed base to justify development, but pro users won't install hardware that doesn't have a tangible benefit to the software they use. Now that the market penetration of CUDA capable GPUs is sufficient, the cycle is broken and I'd expect we'll see an avalanche of CUDA enabled software in the near future. Exciting times.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

yep, there's a lot coming down the pipe. I've seen quite a bit of it running (and talked about), and I'm sure more will be revealed over the course of the year.

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the idea is good, put those gpu's to use, also it could save pc gaming since buying a decent graphicscard would have more advantages.

*goes back to hole he came from and keeps cursing those damn consoles*

17. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

this sounds interesting
    i will be looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Tags: Add Tags