1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music All Time Low - So Wrong, It's Right

Discussion in 'General' started by ArtificialHero, 3 Dec 2007.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Anyone got this yet? I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it. For the first time in literally years I'm getting that feeling in the pit of my stomach that you get when you really, really love a band - I've been into them since I heard "the party scene" from their first ep. I'd recommend them to fans of Hit the Lights and other similar bands. There's a lot of similar bands out there, but there's only a few that have that certain something that lets them rise above the rest. Standout song from the tracks on their myspace is probably "six feet under the stars".

AH

p.s. the word "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" or any derivative thereof is forbidden in this thread. It's not bloomin' emo, it's pop punk!

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I'll have to check them out tonight, can't play music at work... need to pretend to be working.

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

You cant tell people what their opinions are, if some one thinks its emo then to them its emo. And having listened to their myspaz offerings, they're really not that punk. There is a distinct lack of riotous energy and far too much slow ballady stuff. Its not punk, its more pop than anything.

My favourite, Coffee shop sound track started well had a few great bits but left me with a bland feeling at the end. It just sounds the same as so many others that are out there atm. Has the same over emphasis of the symbol and lead guitar, and the same sounding lead singer. If you want a more punky sound try A.

4. ArtificialHero

What a weird thing to say. I'm not even going to bother pointing out the obvious flaws with that statement.

Sigh. A? Really? I mean, How Ace Are Buildings was pretty good, but they really went downhill from there, and Hi-Fi Serious is just horrendous.

AH

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Sorry if it didn't come across clearly but the main point is that you cant objectify a subjective opinion as everyone will have a different subjective opinion. Which is half the fun of being human, you can try and generalise with genres and stereotypes but the more specific you make the classification the more subjective and open to variation it becomes.

I hope that makes more sense if not meh. And I was originally getting at the fact you banned us from making the opinion that there music had an emo sound to it.

6. ArtificialHero

yeah, um, musical genres aren't a subjective opinion any more than colours are. they are a way for people to define something so that they can discuss it - if everyone had their own definition of "red" then conversations about colour would become pretty damn confusing. By the same token, if I decide that "to me", what most people would define as funky house music is actually late '80s college rock, then any attempt at a musical conversation will also become confusing. Stop making a fuss about musical definitions. The emo comment in my first post was only a joke anyway - there's a bit of a running joke on this forum involving calling people emo at every opportunity, and I wanted to pre-empt it.

I see you're from the IoW - where exactly? My sister lives in Fishbourne.

AH

anyway, anyone that recommends A as a good example of punk is not someone with any right to be dishing out lectures about musical genres. ;)

7. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Newport, currently in the concrete city of Coventry though studying economics.

And the core genres of music are pretty clear but it the boarders that cause confusion. When does something stop being hip hop and become RnB? When does that RnB sound then become Krunk or Dancehall? And for you when does funky house become funk or house? And fair enough about the whole emo thing but i thought bit-tech would have grown out of that by now..... wait what am i say bit-tech grow up :hehe:

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Calling something emo has nothing to do with opinion. Emo is emo, pop punk is pop punk. You'd be simply wrong in labeling this emo tbh. It's got nothing to do with your opinion.

Nice tunes though.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

What you can say, if you want to, is that it bears similarities to, or draws from certain aspects of, emo. You might still be wrong, but at least your statement is more humble and ambiguous, rather than treating your opinion as fact (a dangerous practise).

10. ArtificialHero

It's only dangerous if you aren't always right. No worries for me then ;)

11. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

wait where's my ego pin

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh, like we don't all secretly feel the same way about our opinions :)

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Not really my sorta music. Not keen on the vocals which, to me, sound closer to emo with the harmonies kicking in randomly. Not by any means awful though, could listen to them fairly easily- I just don't enjoy it :p.

<A88>

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

ditto to above.

s'alright but certainly not anyway near to being great.

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nah, I don't listen to emo.

16. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Noise to my ears.

Tags: