1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD CPUs still in short supply

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Nov 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

In light of the superbity and general all-round awesomeness of Core 2, who is actually buying AMD chips at the moment? I know they (finally) got the Dell contract, but it seems weird that AMD could happily supply the world and his uncle when A64 / X2 was the processor of choice, but now that AMD is in Intel's shadow in the performance stakes, suddenly the supplies dry up?

3. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

*Sigh* You really have no idea how much of a minority buy cutting edge hardware. AMD and all other companies make money off their midrange products which sell on mass....

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I am aware of that, but C2D pummels AMD's offerings at EVERY price point. Unless you're upgrading the CPU on an old board and hence have to stick to the same socket (minority), you're getting done over if you buy AMD right now.

So those in the know will buy Intel, and I would have thought that Intel's massive current marketing campaign pusing C2D would seal the deal for the great unwashed.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I BLAME PS3 FOR USING SO MUCH SILICON ON THE CELL PROCESSORS ON THEIR USELESS CONSOLES CONSOLES!!!!! and garden gnomes....

just kidding :p

6. Cleric_silencer

Cleric_silencer What's a Dremel?

i'm just waiting around for AMDs new offereing, hopefully they will be teh shizzle.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

as far as I know amd is thrashing intell in the low > midrange as intell are currently still flogging off netburst chips in those areas.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

After the headaches I've had with Intel CPUs I don't care if they are the greatest thing ever made from silicon, I still wouldn't buy one. Call me a fanboy if you like, but my AMD systems have always been rock stable and my intels...haven't :wallbash:

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Believe I heard somewhere that AMD cpu's are still considered the best in the server market due to power(/heat?) per watt in the power range they use ? But I'm not exatctly sure on that one.

The X2 line are still very solid CPU's also, while C2D does have an edge in performance its not exactly a world-ending one.

Plus it looks like decent C2D motherboards add an extra £100 to the price, which effects things abit compared to AM2 ones.

Side note : wow, the only quad core C2D scan have up are £700 oem and £750 retail ? blimey.

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Shortage. Does that mean ill get more cash on ebay for my 2 AMD 2600's :p

Doubt it lol

11. TMM

TMM Modder

Indeed. The Sempron and low end Athlon64s absolutely annihilate Intel's similarly priced offerings too. Not to mention AMD has the edge in the server markete despite woodcrest.

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Not from what I have seen.
    Plus the fact that I have never had a problem with an AMD chip and me just not liking how intel is run. The whole netburst thing showed me that they listen to the marketing department more than the engineers.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2006
  13. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

On one hand, it sucks that AMD is having supply issues, but the fact that AMD is growing is great. I mean just a couple years ago, AMD made CPUs for enthusiasts and hardly any system builders used AMD so it's logical that when AMD receives a sudden large demand for processors there will be shortages, I'm sure AMD is working on new fabs and trying to improve production.

I think it will take more than Core to save Intel. AMD needed the Athlon (amazing CPU) and also needed Netbursts (Intels worst CPU architecture ever. . .) and even with that it has taken AMD a while to get main-stream appeal.

Netburst is not only a disaster in the sense that performance sucked, the high clock speeds and poor performance proved that all Intel wanted was to hear the consumer say "OMG GHz!!!!111". What really disappoints me is that Intel R&D budget is immense, far better than AMDs budget, yet they could not create a CPU that would beat the Athlon, until the launch of Core- and personally, I'm not yet going to label the Athlon architecture as defeated.

Speedfreek, can you point to some good reviews? I'm too lazy to ask google and I don't really want to sift through a bunch of amateur reviews.

L J

Tags: Add Tags