1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD intros one click magic trick utility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

An application for children! Real e-peeners ... err ... men ... tweak their computers manually!

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Just buy a computer thats fast enough to start with... oh wait, amd doesnt sell that.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. Pity I never have Word/Excel/Outlook/Firefox/whatever running when I game. Shutting down background processes could be a good idea - provided it isn't something like AVG8, where as fast as I kill it, it restarts itself - but that program would really need to know what it was doing if it was going to start fiddling with shutting down background processes or some interesting stuff could happen.

I can see overclocking CPU/GPU, as well... but the HDD? What are they going to do, make the platters spin faster? Considering how ridiculously bottlenecked HDDs are by the nature of their technology in comparison to the bandwidth now available to the SATA bus... it's marketing. Little more.

Come on, AMD - focus on giving us awesome new hardware (like the 4800 series) rather than this nonsense software just so you can make a press release.

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i think paradigm shift summed it up there, this allows amd to make a press release.

i can see it appealing to those who buy a pc of amd parts as they probably wouldnt bother tweaking their pc's, as proxess puts it, "like real men" so it now makes their system that much better, potentially.

My thoughts are with naokaji on it though, most enthusiasts will already have a quick enough system but then the software isnt aimed at readers of bit-tech, its for the people who say ooooooooooh when they watch pc world adverts. interesting idea from amd/ati non the less!

peace

fatman

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"LOOK MOM, I'M OVERCLOCKING MY HARD DRIVE!!!"

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

This would be a neat little app if it were not so limited. When I first started PC gaming I had a mid-range (Athlon XP 2600+, 1gb DDR 266, 9600pro) system that I used to shut down background process manually to be sure I was running as fast as I could. This would have made things easier.

Now however I have a C2D and 4gb of DDR800. This would not help at all. But for people who have those mid-range systems like I had it may give a boost.

8. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

lol I was about to post that very same line!

I agree with TreeDude. I used to do the same thing back when I had my old 800 MHZ Pentium III system with a blazing fast nVidia TNT 2. Something like this would have made things easier to have a list of processes to shut down with a single click instead of shutting them down individually.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I used to have a batch file that started all of my processes back in the day... I'd start Windows bare with not much more than networking enabled so that I could game on a completely clean system after a reboot. Nowadays I've got more than enough horsepower to not care. Damn, 4GB is so cheap these days and no game really uses 4GB yet.

10. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I remember back in the good old days of DOS when you pretty much had to make a boot disk (floppy) and tweak the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get your system optimized to play game on your 386 or 486 processor... Anyone remember these old commands?

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Now they were the days... thinking about that brings back fond memories of the very early days of gaming for me. The time I was referring to was when I first moved from Win95 to Win98SE on my gaming rig - they were fun times too.

12. tylerpestell

tylerpestell What's a Dremel?

Ah yess ... those were the good 'ol days of gaming. Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Indina Jones all those DOS based adventure games were awesome. Oh and "The Dig"!!

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Glad to see at least somebody take up on DirectX 10's original concept from who knows how many years ago. Now, all we need is an operating system suitable for gaming.

14. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

i'm bringing the turbo button back... YEAH, UHHH
    those intel don't know how to act... yeh

and so on...

15. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Hmmm. You could do all that setting up and so on and press a button every time you want to load a game. Or you could get a faster Intel CPU in the first place, leave everything running and get the same gaming performance. Or something like that :p

I hate shutting things off for gaming, you shouldn't have to. What's the point of quad cores if you aren't going to put them to some work with multi-tasking. Sure it'll take a percentage point or two of frame rate if you are lacking some ram and play at 1024x768, but who does that? Having photoshop open with a GB file is one thing, but leaving a few firefox windows, a music player, email client, explorer window and some downloading software running shouldn't be a problem, even on a dual core system with 2GB of RAM.

16. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

SOMEONE POST A REVIEW!!!!! LINKS PLZ

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Aaah yes! Damn I am getting to old for this ****. Those where the days. (Dos/4GW anyone?) Hey! remember playing doom where you could adjust the screen size to have a smoother play? Why not bring back this part of nostalgia in games. So people with slow system just resize the rendering size on screen with the [-] and [+] on the keypad of their keyboard. if you cannot play it full screen you know your system is getting slow, but hit the [-] key and reduce the screen size and hey you can at least play the game smoothly.

:)

18. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

I think it's a great idea, but it needs to be available to everyone and not just AMD users.

19. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Yes please interfere with my system mr AMD - have fun wasting money supporting that you arent getting any of my business..

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, I remember that well. Screw resolution changes, this is the future!

Tags: Add Tags