1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II 810, 805, 720 & 710 AM3 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, if the guys actually pushing the buttons that make the productionmachines go "whirrrrr" are off for 50%, that could make an impact on their production im my opinion ;-)

Besides I haven't got the foggiest on how the R&D guys are working at the moment. :D

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

something else to note is considering how close the performance is with this DDR3 setup and its still dual channel, and when you factor is cost, man when those triple channel boards hit the market I think Intel will be a bit of hurt. :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AMD is not interested in triple channel in consumer boards.

4. HourBeforeDawn

then why has it been mentioned in their road maps for the 8xx chiupset? and the talks of how they may go straight to quad channel instead of triple.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The chipset has nothing to do with the memory controller which resides on the CPU. So unless AMD is going to bring out new cores with updated controllers (I'd guess it would be Opteron only anyway), then I doubt it will make the consumer space before Fusion ... which will arrive when Duke Nuken Forever does. It doesn't have enough resource to QA a rehash to the current K10 line for more memory when its execution engine and lack of multi-hyperthreading is leaving it behind in performance. Besides, memory performance is not its bottleneck - otherwise we'd all be wanting AM3 CPUs.

6. HourBeforeDawn

I know the chipset doesnt have anything to do with the memory controller, Im just saying they stated that triple/quad channel would be around that time in the road maps for the Phenoms so maybe they will be releasing new cpus for it, maybe the 900 series CPU for AM3 version will support it, Im just stating what I read but ehh sure they could have changed the road maps, again Im just stating what I read and what was asked and told to me during the AMD Insight panel.

I also disagree that the problem isnt the memory, It would seem to me that is the memory is its bottleneck when you look at all the test results. Besides more people will be going for AMD soon enough with how bad the world economy is going unless Intel drops prices, you can pretty much build a kickass AMD system that will play all the games and do all your work for a lot less then what you can do with an Intel setup.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2009
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not at all.

Intel Core i7 does not benefit from even dual channel that much let alone tri-channel ddr3 1066. AMD doesn't benefit from 1333 DDR3 over 1066 DDR2 - otherwise we'd be recommending AM3 CPUs and motherboards, which, we're not. AMD stated itself DDR3 at most accounts for a 5% performance advantage over DDR2 - it's deliberately left DDR3 this late because of the high price and small performance margin.

AM3 has a large L3 cache and DDR3 has a higher latency than DDR2 (C7 versus C5 often) and generally the performance of its memory controller is slow at 2GHz. I'd also say that at this stage the fact it's got exclusive cache is also a hinderance compared to Intel's inclusive which acts as a snoop filter. Exclusive was good in the days of small cache because of a very limited transistor budget - these days we're hitting a billion transistors and nearly 10s of MB so optimising IPC and traffic flow should be the ultimate goal for performance and heat.

AMD's weakness is its execution engine - which it designed back for K8 and has only made slightly wider to accommodate better SSE, and tweaked other parts for better virtualisation and a tailoring to use the L3 cache, but underneath, it's no wider superscaler architecture, it's IPC is no better and it doesn't have multiple instruction issue let alone multi-threading on a per-core basis afaik.

8. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags