1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Talks HD3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

It all looks quite sensible to me, except I don't like 3D. The images never seem sharp enough to me and I'd prefer 2560x1600 with high settings to 3D.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Below the pic an error.

"AMD says it's working closely with Eidoes to enable native HD3D support in Deus Ex: Human Revolution"

4. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

I don't like 3D because it doesn't work for me! I literaly have no idea what all the hype is about.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I don't like 3D because I already wear glasses...

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I like 3d

i like even more playing old games in 3d

my monitor doesnt do 2560x1600

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

No-one should. 3D is just another big fad. Every game I've seen in 3D has significantly lower graphics, or missing bits and bobs that would make it so much better looking. There are still alot of complaints about headaches, nausea and other problems with 3D but people being people, buy into the "It's better than HDTV WE PROMISE!" attitude.

Disregard 3D, Aquire 60" HDTV.

8. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I was just about to come in here and complain about 3D too, but is seems like you guys are doing a good enough job already.

Though has anyone else experienced ghosting with both active and polarised 3D glasses?

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

You sound like someone from the turn of the century when "talkies" started to appear. Some people said talking in movies would never catch on. I think that kind of talk is very narrow-minded and somewhat illogical. 3d is a natural evolution of light and sound technology. We are born with 3d vision and sound, watching video on a 2d display is therefore unnatural. You can also say that sitting in front of a computer using a mouse and keyboard to control a character in a game is not natural. Thus eventually we will see the adoption of increasingly sophisticated body/motion tracking for computer games.

It never ceases to amaze me negative some people are towards a more realistic entertainment experience.

For many years I've been telling people how great body vibration is for computer games, music and movies... The reaction I get from a large percentage of people is nonsensical mocking. People regard body vibration feedback as something alien and unnatural. I try to explain that playing a computer game without vibration feedback is in no way true to life. Without that feedback we are disconnected from the game world. I ask them to think about how it might feel to wake up one day with no sense of touch at all. Even just walking around we experience vibrational feedback that helps connect us with the world. Now imagine you suddenly lost that? How strange it would feel walking around with no sense of touch. You'd feel very disconnected to reality. That's how we play computer games and perversely regard body vibration systems as a fad/gimmick.

I think the world is full of old grandpa complainers who don't use their brains before they dismiss something.

Arkanrais likes this.
  10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

3D Movies have certainly been an improvement in some cases, tho its clearly apparent that movie studios are still getting to grips with the 3D effects.

3D gaming is something I have not tried yet, though from this article it does seem AMD has a very viable solution to it all, though the lack of any explanation at this point as to which graphics cards in their current line up support it only confuses things. Having to use middleware for games and the need for additional software to run with your game is most certainly a negative aspect for me. It is a shame something like this could not simply be included in the hardware or the driver itself.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

I've not had a positive experience with 3D yet...not sure it really is "the next big thing".
    It'd better be a lot better than NVidia's "Z-Buffer" 3D though.

We had vibration feedback, and even movement (force) feedback a few years ago...
    Faded into grey, sadly.

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Someone call me up when they've developed a 3D technology that doesn't give me motion sickness and crossed-eyes in 30 seconds...

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I guess for many people it has. I've always used it though since the mid 80's when I decided to connect my amiga 500 to a 15 inch speaker under my seat to a low-pass filter and amp. It's great especially for flight sims and the battlefield series.

14. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

typo:

"We'd also like to see the industry developing an industry standard for active shutter glasses that have some kind of sync sugnal."

15. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

It seems pretty easy to set up 3d with AMD, it would make it even easier if they provided the Middleware free with the 6000 series cards.

16. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Sounds promising. I don't really give a rat's ass about 3D, but nice to see AMD pushing for an open standard. Creeped me out a little, though, the way he kept referring to Nvidia as "our competitor". He did say Nvidia once, but otherwise, he sounded just like a politician.

17. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

I have a lazy eye, and though i like the 3d effect when i get it, its a real struggle to focus on it for an extended amount of time...
    I wonder what technologies will be able to do for someone like me, with a natural hinderance in depth perception.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

"3D" as pushed by e.g. nVidia and various display manufacturers is a dud in my eyes.

However (and here it comes), I absolutely *LOVE* the idea of 120Hz refresh rates on flatscreen panels! It's been so long overdue.

19. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's all talk. Whenever AMD mentions "open standards" it's code for "we aren't actually going to do anything so we will distract you from that by waffling about how open standards are good and our competitor is bad". They aren't actually going to define that open standard (which doesn't exist for games), or make drivers that support that standard (kind of tricky as it doesn't exist).

All they have said is they will support iZ3D, which is easy to say as iZ3D already supported AMD cards - iZ3D made their tech work with both AMD and nvidia cards years ago without any help from either of them as far as I know.

However iZ3D isn't a strong competitor with 3D vision. iZ3D is a little company, and doesn't have driver level access. Nvidia's 3D vision is hard coded into the drivers and can use the huge TWIMTBP organisation to work with games companies to make sure 3D works. Right now if you don't just want to have a fanboy argument and are in-fact really serious about 3D then nvidia's 3D vision is the only sensible solution.

20. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Great an open standard for 3D, now I can get a headache on an AMD and NV card.

Tags: Add Tags