1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by WILD9, 5 Jul 2004.

1. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

This thread may spoil NGE for you if you havnt seen it and intend to. You have been warned ;)

Ive just watched the whole series of NGE in this order, episodes 1-20 then 21-24 directors cut, then End of Evangellion. As I understand thats the best order to see them in , the series itself was damn good , quite confusing and alot went unexplained but you had faith that the ending would clarify it. It didnt, I understand this is often regarded as the best anime ever so i must be missing something but the ending seemed to make absolutely no sence . Il admit to having a bit of a fever when i watched it so i wasnt at the top of my game, what i really need is someone to explain what happened so i can start to get my head round it. Im normally good with strange anime plots but this was just too wierd.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2004
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dont worry, the first 20 episodes rocks then the rest just sucked. The director finished it and then got death threats from obsessed fans cause he didnt tie it up so just killed everyone off in the end of eva.

I cant remember it well enough to comment on it, only bits of it.

3. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Oh good at least its not just me, it all went strange at about episode 23 and then end of evangellion started off with probably the most unexpected start ever, started to get good and then just went crazy shame i really had high hopes, dont suppose you could reccomend me something similar that doesnt go absolutely nuts at the end? I hear your quite experienced with anime bindi :D

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not as much experience as the really hardcore peeps - i just enjoy series, dont really go for everything else (cosplay, manga (cept GsG), japanoholic (although their women rock :blush: ))

RahXephon

Many say its an eva-clone, and yes it has definate similarites in the underlying story to those who dont want to appreciate it for anything more than the surface, but the whole background to the xephons and everything todo with tuning them and playing them between the artists Quan and Ayato i think was done better than eva. The ending is "nice" too, but i advise buying the Rahxephon bible and DVDs (ive got the R1 releases) cause the inserts include really very helpful explanations about the story.

You gotta be careful what you say about Eva, people will literally attempt to hunt you down and kill you if you say a bad word about it and i cant understand why. I cant exactly remember why the military attacked Nerf (?) HQ, but Rei wasnt real, she was a clone. Asuka ended up fighting and dieing, Mitsaki died trying to help Shingi escape cause she actually loved him. The whole of EoEva was about Shingi's mental torment coming to a climax (literally in the case of espuro over Asuka in her hospital bed). I think it was revolutionary in the fact that people wanted them to be happy but in the end everyone died, no matter how hard they tried. It wasnt the classic "nice" ending which people hated but loved. It leaves a lot to opinions and im sure there are people here (Bentos?) who are bigger fans.

5. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

yeah i sort of got it up to there and i was prepared to forgive it right up untill the end and then after all the torment you think shinji has reached a resolution and then... he strangles asuka to death? errr.... Also im a bit confused at to what everyone was trying to accomplish, seele seemed to want to do exactly the same as nerv im left wondering who it was that got what they wanted at the end. Oh well guess il consign it to the shelf and move on, i still feel like ive read a good book and someones torn out the last few pages tho.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2004
  6. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

ive not had a chance to see the NGE directors cut eps yet, but iirc the directors cut eps 25&26 are being released soon aswell.
    prob best to watch them after 24 as opposed to end of eva, cause that makes no real sense, and as previously stated, everyone does indeed die (kinda)

7. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

you missed out re-birth, thats why end of seemed an odd place to start off ;)

and i agree1-26 are great, re-birth is a decent enough ending and end of just takes the piddle a little

"it was all in his head the whole time, d'oh"

:S

8. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

you know, if you like EVA you might wanna try argentosoma.

its very eva esque and is quite good :D

and if you want a proper head do-er try serial experiments lain

light entertainment i think not :eyebrow:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Death an rebirth were just a hash of the series though.

10. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

yeah as i understand it rebirth is a summary episode of the rest of the series
    created because people seeing end of evangelion in the cinemas may not have seen the entire series. tbh i doubt it would help them their in for a real head **** anyway. Im interested in ep 25-26 tho are they a more sensible ending? I was told they were a real cop out ending because they ran out of money, was i told wrong?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its one of those things that the truth will never probably be known cause people offer their own opinions too much.

Some say the director got bored, others say they ran out of money, or ideas or that it was designed that way cause the director didnt like the standard happy endings..

12. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

oh well, my current lineup for the next few weeks is

Series:
    Gits SAC
    Raxhephon
    Trigun

Films: - I seem to like the films more, i dont know why guess its because i watched alot of old anime films when i was younger , I didnt even know thy were anime at the time, mazinga Z , ultraman , Lensman etc

Escaflowne
    Princess Mononoke
    Cowboy beebop the movie - im told this is ok to watch aside from the series
    Spirited away - not really my cup of tea but from the press it gets i guess it has to be watched

Am I in for any other dissapointments or are these ok?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Do yourself a favour and pre-order the GITS:SAC DVD box set - you need all your brain power to concentrate on the story and the subs, even though the voices are perfect, are extremely hard to keep up and make out what's going on with on some episodes, and i found myself pausing it every 3 seconds to catch up. Also the box set has DTS sound and one of the best damn OST soundtracks bundled. The second OST for the second series was released last month and imo its even better than the first :D Cant stop listening to it.

No no no do NOT watch the bebop movie before the series. It MUST be watched between ep 22/23 of the series (around them). Same with escaflowne - the series is a must first (ive not seen the movie though, i heard it was a hash of the series although im unsure).

Studio Ghibli are a must watch for all ages, regardless if its your classic cup of tea or not. Check out grave of the fireflys (if it doesnt make you cry there's something wrong with you), castle in the sky and others.. i forget, but they are great movies.

Trigun must be watched subbed, the dub is horrible and doesnt convey the emotion hardly enough.

Rahxephon has a v.good dub though. The OVA is pointless, dont bother with it. Im unsure of what the movie is, but its due out 20/7.

We could merge this with the anime thread if u want?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2004
  14. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Yeah ok i just wasnt sure if it fitted in with favourite anime :) i was under the impression escaflowne the movie is set in a different timeline etc rather than a continuation of the series but if you think the series is a must then thats the way il do it, same for bebop i certainly dont want to be left dazed and confused again :)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bebop definately does, Escaflowne from what i loosey remember hearing so probably not.

16. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

only got three episodes left to watch of bebop then i'm on to the film, it was on special on play, the series is damn good so i just couldnt resist :D i've only seen a couple of episodes of neon on bravo(i think it was) and it looked excellent.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

watch the film NOW if youve only got 3 eps of bebop left to watch, itll make more sence. Do it before Ed leaves.

18. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

nice off you to throw in a spoiler for me mate :p

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HAHAHA oops, so he hasnt then? Youll thank me later now ive caught you in time ;)

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't forget to catch Final Fantasy VII the movie this summer :D

Tags: