1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANtec Truepower 2 580watt

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ballinger, 17 May 2006.

1. Ballinger

Ballinger What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I have just purchased a power supply from overclock.co.uk

Antec truepower 2 580w

Just testing it I have pluged it into the mains and connected to an old hard drive switched the power switch on and hey presto no response at all the fan is not spining the drive is not activating any advice is this faulty...??? :wallbash:

any help would be more than welcome

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Umm, do you have it connected to a motherboard? The ATX connector needs to be started, otherwise the PSU won't do squat. If you have it connected to a motherboard, have you checked that the case its in is wired up to the motherboards on switch?

We needs Details we does :)

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

errrrmm....yeah!

It is not meant to work like that as what tends to happen with computers is that you press the "Power Button" and then it turns on! Could be quite tricky indeed if all you had to do was have a power cable in and plug something in and it would turn on!!!

The power switch at the back is the quick way of turning of power to the PC without holding the "Power Button" down for 4 seconds, but it does not actually power up the PSU!

...so to put you out of your misery, get an old bit of wire or a paperclip, connect the green (or grey) wire of the plug that goes into the Motherboard (20 or 24pin) into any of the black wires (ground, there should be plenty of them) and then try plugging it into the power again with an old hdd attached! And hey presto it should work! Otherwise put it into a computer to test out if you dont like the idea of getth0! :eek:

Hope this helps...

... and someone gets in before me...grrrr :dremel:

4. Ballinger

nah haven't got that far yet I am following wiley build ultimate pc guide said to contect hard drive to check for spikes ahhh haaa there you go will install motherboard first and conect and let hyou know the out come I will restart the old pc with old HD to check ok also before starting could I start the psu with attached to the Mobo without and cpu/ram/hd/gpu and so attached yet to test??? ohh and thanks for help

5. felix the cat

Ok, just to make it even easier I have found a pic of what you want to do!

...seeing as its not on my server I wont leave the link up for that long!

edit: ok these guys dont like what I am doing, so better of just doing it myself...back in 5...

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

And you were saying? Try using punctuation and grammar, you'll see, it makes things readable...

Just plug it into a mobo and press the power button, or jumpstart it like felix said...

EDIT: Felix, image doesn't work ;)

7. Ballinger

cheers for help will try this straight away just a little jittery first build and all

thanks for help again :clap: :clap:

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Fair enough it's your first build, but if the book told you to do what you did, by jove how crap is the book?

9. felix the cat

checkITTT

my 1337 photchopp skillz :D

[​IMG]

10. Ballinger

Thank you very much will try now :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

11. felix the cat

no worries!!!

A picture can be so much easier then words at times...let us know how you get on and dont forget to add somethign like a fan or an old hdd, to make sure at least a bit of current is being drawn!

12. Ballinger

worked perfectly ahhh now luch time thank you again all :D :D

old hdd booted as well so looks good psu quiet excellent.....

Last edited: 17 May 2006
  13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Glad to know you got it sorted. If you need more help, do ask, everyone here built had a "first build" at some point or other, and most of us remember it too, so you're likely to get what help you need :)

Just make sure you punctuation and grammar and stuff as Glider says. People here like that stuff, it makes everyones lives easier :p

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'll give you one tip. Find the part in the motherboard manual which tells you where to plug in for the hdd led, power led, power on and suchlike. Make sure you get this right! If you notice the power led or hdd led aren't coming on, just reverse the plug. I've found for some reason what you think is the + lead is the - lead. No worries though, it doesn't do any harm.

My very first build, I forgot to plug the pwr_on lead to the motherboard header and was wondering why absolutely bugger all was happening. Reading the manual again and double-checking I soon found out why :)

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good advice there. I find the thing is, if you expect it to go right first time, then you're just going to be let down. I always feel a PC build isn't complete with something that frustrates you for a day, and has you scratching your head. Often these things end up fixing themselves, which is the most annoying type of problem. It's just part of building it yourself. Another part of building yourself is saving £100-500. I like that last part, and always keep it in mind during hellish build days :D

16. Ballinger

well currently installing windows and all seems fine so far touch wood... :D :baby: