1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any UK NHL Viewers out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by jinq-sea, 22 Oct 2013.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'm considering subscribing to Premier Sports so I can watch/record some live NHL games. BUT - they seem to have very few of the Avalanche games.

This got me to thinking - NHL GameCenter. Anyone got it in the UK? Is the service good?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I am not from UK, but you can easily try it out for yourself - if you don't have a subscription you can still watch the game, the only limitation is that they only give you few minutes before it stops, but that should be enough for you as a technical evaulation.

The second problem is the games not allowed via GameCenter for your country - that usually depends on the agreement with a NHL partner in specific country, the blacked out games are the ones which are shown in TV.

3. jinq-sea

Yeah the blacked out games are show on Premier Sports here. Most of them, when shown live, are on when I am asleep :)

I'm right in saying that the blackout only applies to live games, right?

4. faugusztin

Should be that way, but i cannot guarantee you that :). Of course there is a solution to use something like VPN which will fake your location and this you won't be in UK anymore as far as NHL GameCenter is concerned, but of course this is a grey area...

FYI http://www.nhl.com/ice/gclfaq.htm#section4b :
    So after 48 hours you can watch it even if it was blacked out it seems.

5. jinq-sea

Yeah I spotted that too - have you actually got a sub to GameCenter?

6. faugusztin

No, i got a cable TV with a channel showing NHL game pretty much every night and they shuffle the teams a lot, so i felt no need to do so far :).

7. jinq-sea

Nice. There's a bit of a lack of the Avs on Premier Sports here in the UK, and I want to watch them!

Rangers games? We've got plenty of those! ;) What channel do you get NHL on?

8. faugusztin

Nova Sport from Czech Republic. A list of games for this and next month: http://www.nhl.cz/CZ/claneks/3/nhl_v_tv.html

Seems like Colorado is a bit ignored here as well, but i know we had at least 2 games in this season, and that is pretty good considering usually there is only 1 game per day. And of course the Czech sports TV station is concentrating on teams with Czech and Slovak players :). That is why you see lots of games with those teams in the list - NJD (Jagr, Elias), DET (Tatar, Kindl), SJS (Hertl), CHI (Hossa, Handzus), BOS (Chara, Krejci) and i ams ure i left out many more.

The harsh reality for Europe is that games from Western conference are not really good for TV, because of the time. Eastern conference games usually start sometime between 23:00-01:30AM, Western conference starts at 3:00-4:30AM.

On other side that could be good for you, because no local coverage = total GameCenter coverage,.

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I work nights so I watch quite a bit of the NHL, I'm considering gamecenter for this year as it's around 65 quid which isn't bad but as you say, any games on premier sports won't be on gamecenter unless you do some trickery.

From what I've seen of the few minutes you get for free, the quality is great and you can watch on all sorts of devices etc.

From the Premier Sports website:
    So there's almost no Avs coverage if they can keep it going after their great start and make it to the playoffs. But they will be available shortly after apparently:

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I believe Unicorn is a NHL fan :thumb:

11. jinq-sea

Hmm - GCL is looking like the better option, TBH!

Plus, I find it a bit galling that I'd have to pay £10 for a non-HD channel...!

12. jinq-sea

Whoops. Double post. What I was trying to do was say "Thanks, George. I'll probably drop him a message".

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This man speaketh the truth! I am a huge Penguins fan (which means I'm still reeling from last night's defeat at the hands of the Avs :/)

Anyway, I've figured out that as far as Penguins games are concerned, with Premier Sports (I subscribed to it last season) you won't get anywhere near the quality of commentary and coverage as you do with GCL. I still think it's harsh that GCL cut off the webcast as soon as the game ends (often before the presenters have finished their wrap-up/outro!) but it's better than the UK coverage. The Pittsburgh feed is Root Sports which is a good channel with great commentators and presenters. Unfortunately I can only get the games and not the tasty Pens extras that Root Sports air weekly like "Pens Postgame", "In the Room" and "Inside Penguins Hockey". YMMV with the Avalanche games, I have no idea what the Colorado home feed would be but I'll re-run a few minutes of last nights game later with their feed to find out and let you know.

I pay for a USA hosted DNS to deal with the blackout restrictions which I'll discuss with you via PM. I've never missed a game in 3 seasons because of the blackouts, it works flawlessly. Were there's a will, there's a way ;)

Speaking from experience, GCL is the better option and you're right, PS not even being HD is a bit of a deal breaker. The GCL webcast is HD as long as your connection can stream it, and their servers have been rock solid for all three seasons I've been a subsciber, not to mention you can watch it on almost anything. I have watched it on everything from Apple TV, my iPhone, laptops, HTPC and even the 360 :thumb:

If you're interested in recording the games you can FRAPS/Dxtory them as you watch, or play them back later and only record highlights. Game events like penalties, shots on goal, fights and goals are all marked on the timeline during playback which makes capturing highlights a doddle. It's a brilliant service, really well worth the subscription :)

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  14. jinq-sea

Uni - that info is AWESOME. Cheers. Drop me a PM and we can have a chat :D