1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Anyone else got uni offers?

Discussion in 'General' started by bodkin, 27 Nov 2009.

1. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

The guy that interviewed you wasnt a jolly geordie man called richard by any chance was he?

2. Valo

Valo Minimodder

im doing maths and philosophy at Bristol and tbh I am yet to meet someone who is not from private school.

3. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

It was from Professor Luckham, didn't seem to be a jolly geordie. It was quite good as one of his PhD students had worked at the place I did work experience so chatted about that for most of the time.

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Sounds like it went well! Also, which college did you apply for at Cambridge?

5. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

I'm applying for Christs, just a week till interview now...

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I'll tell you now (and anyone else interested in Surrey), DON'T go there.

Been at this uni for 5 years now (did a course swap), and there are very few good things I can say about the place. Disorganised and only interested in supporting the best students in my opinion. Engineering department was plain AWFUL, Computer Science is better but still not fantastic.

As for the nightlife? I think the Isle of Sheppey would be more fun than Guildford on a friday night (and most definetly safer, nothing affluent about the night crowd in guildford....)

7. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Finally done Cambridge interviews, now just the long wait till early next year.... At least can enjoy the end of term now.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Well done to everyone who has got offers already and good luck to both those who have and haven't! I know every man and his dog will probably tell you this between now and when you actually start uni but don't waste such a great opportunity. Of the 15-20 people who were on my course the year I started (yeah, it's not a popular degree in this country which is partially why I chose it) , less than 10 remain. The others have dropped out, had to repeat or changed course. It's such a ridiculous waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned. If you get your fees paid through a student loan then you might not think so. I think paying my own fees made me realize very early on that there was little or no time (or money!) to waste when I got to Uni.

The most important thing that you should do is pick something you're going to love studying, because if your course is anything like mine, you're going to eat sleep and breathe it for anything up to 60 hours a week (I have a hair under 38 hours of lectures, labs & tuts Mon-Fri, the rest is independant learning time) and it will take no time at all for you to get sick of something that you don't like the least bit. There will always be modules that you like more than others, that's to be expected, but make sure that the degree as a whole is something that you want to do for pretty much the rest of your life otherwise you are about to waste between 3 and 5 years, a lot of money, and worst of all be worse off at the end of it all than you are now. I have been very fortunate so far, in that I love what I am studying and have done from day one, and have had a lot of very intelligent and very helpful lecturers in the past 3 years. I'd hate to see anyone who's still at at school make the same mistakes some of my friends did when they went to university.

Also, take all the advice you can from people here who have been or are still at the universities you're getting offers from, that's priceless information. I got similar help from people I knew doing various courses that I was interested in when I was going through all this and without their advice I might have ended up studying a degree I didn't like at a university that was wrong for me.

For the record I'm studying BEng Hons Electronics, Communications & Software - recently renamed to Electronics & Software as they did away with a ridiculously difficult Comms module from second year, the year after I completed it :rolleyes: - at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown Campus. If I get half a chance I'm going to do a masters in the same subject when I'm done with this ;) The uni was recently featured in a case study on the Apple website for it's use of iPhones among the staff :)

Last edited: 7 Dec 2009
  9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

One of the questions to ask yourself is not do you enjoy the subject but do you enjoy anything else more. You quickly become tired of all the same work but as long as you can't see yourself doing anything else it's all cool.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

One thing my counselors at the last college I got a degree from said that Any degree can lead to the financial stability you need to get to where you can do what you want. 3 college degrees and none of them have been in computer modding but they have allowed me the resources I needed to enjoy it. One thing to remember is that work is usually 8 hours a day in our cultures. That leaves at least 8 hours for you, family, hobbies, and general LIFE!

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I've been sent like 7 from different US colleges.

Still a Junior!!

12. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Just found out I've got an unconditional offer for Christ's college Cambridge, takes a bit of pressure off with exams.

Overall got 4 offers (not that the others matter anymore) and nothing from UCL who seem to have forgotten or something.

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Well done mate! :rock: It's the de facto EEE offer amirite?

14. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

that's normal, juniors get spammed out of their minds, I've thrown out at least two big 30 gallon trash bags full of college mail since I took my PSAT's.

15. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Was called a matriculation offer in the email (asked after post stopped by heavy snow) and after checking it is an EE offer, though the email also said that "your place does not depend on grades from examinations".

Already got what will be an A* next year, so hopefully that won't be a problem and with regards to UCAS it seemed to say it counts as an unconditional (can only be accepted as a firm offer).

Nice to not have to decide what to have a my 2nd choice or anything like that, might make it a bit harder to work for my mocks next week though.....

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Woo.... And another EEE offer from UCL..

Now to decided between UCL and Manchester..

17. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I've had 2 offers, a rejection from Bristol, an interview at Newcastle and I'm still waiting for Edinburgh.

18. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Just got my second offer, now I've got ABB from Bath (a little higher than I'd hoped) and BBC from Reading (booya!), 'Visit days' in Cardiff next week and Southampton in February, and an interview in Birmingham in February.

No rejections yet :thumb:

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What PSATs?

Haven't taken them yet.

AP tests are what's going to save me.