1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Aria or Scan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treacles, 29 May 2011.

1. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

I've priced up a "Basically" the same PC on both Aria and Scan with the only real differences being the PSU, CPU Cooler and the Motherboard (Aria = AM3+ Compatible with 3 PCI-E x16 slots, which is a great price when compared to the one on Scan) and i was wondering wether you guys thought that its worth going for the more expensive and less future compatible PC from scan just because of the added insurance... Im probably going to hold out for the Bulldozer release before ordering anything however, im trying to stop myself from making too many of these types of thread but, i want the best performance for price that i can get :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S I realise some parts are out of stock but, im not buying them now anyways ;D

2. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

If you get 1 more post (I think?) you can get free delivery on scan.

Which brings it to £6 more, which is probably worth it if you want it soon, scans delivery is pretty good.

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm guessing this is your first build? Scansure is useful for a first time build, but tbh, it is not really needed. As long as you're careful, you'll be alright.

Aria are pretty solid in terms of price and delivery times. Their delivery charge is a little steep at times though.

On the otherhand, you can't go wrong with scan.

4. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Its my own first build, but i've built someone else's PC before with the only problem being that the PSU wasnt working so i thought the Big red switch from 230v to 115v would fix it, the blue sparks obviousli proved me wrong.
    And what do you think about the value of the motherboard? It seems like a great deal and is only £3 more (Excl. VAT) A similar board to the one from scan could cost me a bit less from aria if i was to downgrade a bit too... And yeh i found the whole free delivery thing a little while back, i dont think the delivery is overly steep on scan in the first place however.
    But mainly i guess im looking for the best user experience which everyone seems to be praising Scan for, so waiting until AM3+ boards/CPU's turn up on the website would be the best bet maybe?

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Yeah, you're gonna need scansure.

Go for the AM3+ board; the extra future proofing is worth having.

6. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Aha, im pretty sure i wont do that again :hehe:

7. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

8. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

I think its the added costs of moving to the US that's putting me off that website :/

Jaybles likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The difference is mainly that Scan use DPd and Aria use Citylink. Personally, and I have lots of experience with couriers, DPD is much much better than Citylink. I'd go with Scan for that reason alone... :)

And that red switch is baaad, just it being on a PSU is a bad sign...

10. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

+1 scan man i am...

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

What about Novatech? Have stores in Portsmouth, Reading, Bristol and Cardiff, so you could pick up if your close to those stores. Last 2 things i've ordered from Novatech, have been picked and dispatched in under an hour of me placing the order, and arrive around 8am the next day with ParcelForce. I guess living 20mins from Portsmouth helps...

Sam

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

ParcelForce are rubbish though, had many bad times dealing with them in the past :(

13. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

ParcelForce & citylink would not shake a stick @...

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I buy almost everything from scan to be honest, had a couple of stings from others (ocuk and ebuyer to name two) but it hasn't made me an outright scan-only man.

Aria is always worth keeping an eye on since they do have some quite preposterously good deals every now and then (4GB of Mushkin for £29.99? sorry sir, would you like your hand back? i seem to have snatched it off :D ) but as said, citylink are far from the best couriers (i haven't personally had any bad dealings with them but i know several who have and there's just something thats not quite as professional as DPD)

Since you've now crossed the 20 post threshold however, the free scan delivery always turns your head ;)

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I tend to go to Scan first for purchases.

1) Free next day delivery with a 1-hour timeslot given at the start of the day (SO handy for having a long shower or going to Tesco's since you know when its coming)

2) Excellent prices and tend to have a better range of products

3) Have always treated me well, giving me little discounts here and there

16. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

Scan. But if i go to Manchester i go Aria.

17. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just to note the AMD 955 isnt worth buying unless you already own an AM3 board as even a bottom of the range sandybridge which is very simuilar in price is faster

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I've only used Scan, but I've heard good things about Aria.

+1 on avoiding AM3 right now, you'll just kick yourself now when you see how much faster Sandy Bridge is for not a lot extra. Then you'll kick yourself again in 2 months time when Bulldozer launches.

19. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

@r3loaded

first point is true second point is idle speculation, lets wait for the facts shall we

20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

While it is indeed idle speculation, and performance relative to SB is up in the air, I'm reasonably sure that Bulldozer will be faster than the current Phenom II crop ;)