1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

My 2 week long survival has ended because I slipped and fell on rocks.:rolleyes:

3. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

well. third person is what i feel comfy with strangely (especially when stealthing past zombies in the grass). However, if i'm heading into the cities to loot then i don't want a 3rd person server as people can just lie in wait behind cover ontop of rooftops and look out for me.
    At least in first person i have a greater chance of seeing them. i also think the crosshairs are too useful for long range fights.

Basically anything that can be used to best me is what i stay away from. especially servers that tell me the range of a target. The stakes are too high for me to die to hand holding BS.

On a side note, i'm in stary and unconscious and bleeding like a pig thanks to crawler who swiped me and broke my legs.:wallbash:

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Reports are that Bohemia is funding a full version of DayZ. So it won't be just an Arma Mod anymore.

Alpha testing available to those that buy it with a heavy discount on top.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That's fine by me, but I'd argue they should give it away free to those that own Combined Operations. I only bought Arma2 for DayZ anyway!

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Maybe so but as a standalone game with greater backing oat going to be awesome none the less.

I am playing at low rez textures as i won't pay for Arma 2 just to play DayZ. Soon as its cheaper I will buy it. Unless i can get the high Red textures elsewhere

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:D

Joined a game this morning, went free roaming for 10 minutes before i came across 3 tents :thumb:

It was like having free roam in a toy shop, some of the kit in the tents were

2 x L85A2
    1 x Lee Enfield
    13 x Blood bags
    2 x Raw meat
    1x M9
    1 x Compass
    1 x Bino
    1 x NV goggles
    1x Hunting Knife
    several water bottles
    6 x Morphine
    4 x Frag grenades

The list goes on. So, in my kindness i left them what i could not carry, i also dumped the spare weapons in bushes away from the camp site

I hope i never found and raided the CPC tents :worried:

This game just got a whole lot better, having weapons, map, compass makes a massive difference, managed to kill my first 10 zombies, the last one had the much needed drink on him that i was desperate for :D

Last edited: 8 Aug 2012
  8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't think they will do that. It sounds as though it is going to be a reasonable price though, and I don't mind paying to support BI as they are one of the 'good' publishers out there who give a lot back to the community.

9. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I'd pay around a tenner for DayZ if it ever goes viral :)

10. Parge

Shame because the huge amount of sales they have had since April are clearly attributable to DayZ and not Arma II.

11. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

I for one have no intention of ever playing Arma II or its expansion. I bought them purely to play DAYZ.

Now I'm going to have to pay again to play day z??

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Buying a game just for a mod is your own fault not BI's, you bought Arma 2 not DayZ. Counter Strike used to be a free mod now you have to pay for it, same with Red Orchestra and many other games.

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, DayZ was a mod. A lot of people only play ACE, or I44 or CWR2 or PR which are also Arma 2 mods - they still have to own Arma to play them. A mod by definition requires the base game. DayZ was free - you didn't pay diddly squat for it!

They are going to keep updating the mod as well, so if you don't buy the full game, then you can continue to play it as a mod anyway! You will of course not benefit from the specific engine changes of the full game, but you can still play!

14. Parge

Yes, but when you have a game that has been selling x amount of copies per week for a year - a flatline figure, and then suddenly a mod is released and you are now selling X +Y copies per week its clear that the Y are not attributable to the original game at all, and in fact to the mod.

I've spoken to Joe, who has seen BIs sales figures for Arma 2 over the last year and from hardly selling any copies at all, their sales figures have gone through the roof.

Seeing as those are the people that have made a DayZ standalone game happen in the first place, its unfair that they should have to pay for it twice.

15. Parge

The one thing that I actually wouldn't mind paying for is if they used the Arma 3 engine for the standalone game.

Any ideas if this is a possibility?

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't know - it's all quiet on that front. I guess it depends on how far along the RV4 engine is at the moment. I would imagine that Bi would want to capitalise on the DayZ thing sooner rather than later though - Dean Hall has always said that he aims to get a standalone game out by Christmas.

And that's their aim - to capitalise. If they gave away the standalone game to existing owners of Arma 2 CO then they will not make any money out of it! Dean Hall could have easily gone to another publisher (several were after him) - it definitely would not have been free to 'existing customers' then!

And I reiterate - they will have not paid for it twice - DayZ as a mod was free.

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Without all the hard work to create the engine that runs DayZ you wouldn't be playing it? I reckon the money that BI got from this mod what they deserved.

It was always going to happen if his game kept getting more popular. Like it was stated above its evolving from a mod to game just now, just like many more before it. I for one don't mind paying for it but I wont be shelling out lots for it if I can play along with Combined Ops mod.

I wonder how long they will let the mod development continue while they create the stand alone game..?

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Development of the stand alone game and the mod will be side by side. I doubt that the mod will stop being played or worked on until the stand alone is finished.

19. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Julian and I had a bit of fun today. Got killed a few times in Cherno, but I have just found an M24 in the firestation!

Current kit for ****around character:

M24
    AKS-74U
    M9
    Ghillie suit

Current kit for main character:
    AS50
    M4A1 CCO SD
    M9SD
    Rangefinders
    GPS
    NVGs

20. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Just received a global ban on my main character account. I'd love to see what Battleye has to say about this...

I wasn't server hopping/hacking. All I did was log out of my main and into my second character and then back into my main.