1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Arma 2: DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by kingred, 24 Apr 2012.

1. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i think that might be why we struggled to find anyone from kabanino to krasnostav then. I'm not totally against the south coast getting more violent, it makes a change from all the times a few guys with gear have slaughtered fresh spawns by the dozen.

that said, i spawned at solnichniy and went west, I haven't actually been to the south coast on overwatch yet.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But some people don't have hours to dedicate to playing, so getting able to cut out the grind at the start is nice :)

3. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

Last night was interesting.

Instead of NWAF, my group headed to NEAF and holed up there. After some gear grinding, we had contact who ran away. After that we ended up in a firefight with four pubbies and I was the only one who got away. Less than a minute of real action.

I'm supposed to avoid stress and things that cause my blood pressure to skyrocket. This. Damn. Game.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

Dammit working tonight. Looks like it will have to wait. Have fun!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I'm very interested but the servers were a scrum last night despite it being for donators only....I'll assess the situation tonight but I bet it'll be impossible to play!

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

donators only FFS D:

8. julianmartin

It'll be worth it when it is released.

9. MrDomRocks

Its released, I have played two lifes, got bored and died again and disconnected. I cannot be bothered tbh.

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

MUAHAHAHAHAH, I got to try out DayZ: Standalone in Cologne, it's absolutely appalling :D

Graphical improvements and character animations are the only noticeable things. Loot was spawning everywhere and clipping in tables, walls, floors, floating around and not accessible. Picking up items was a pain the ass. Over the top motion-blur. Zombie AI was not that great at all either. Ran towards a picket fence with 2 of them behind me and they just sprint-leapt over the fence and I walked away with them staring at the nearby forest.

This was going to go for release recently before the "delay?".... it stinks of alpha-stage.

11. MrDomRocks

To be honest, DayZ Standalone has lost my interest entirely. I think only fan boys and C suckers will be interested in it now. The 42nd Crew will be mostly interested till something else comes along.

12. adrock

from what i've seen of the standalone from the dev blogs and the like, it looks like a lot of the core gameplay hasn't changed at all. fixing the inventory system is good, having more, better models and textures and customisability is good. Unfortunately having a game where zombies are a fundamental game element and they don't work very well is a pretty big problem.

I am keen to see the progress with porting DayZ, chernaurus and a few of the other maps to the arma 3 engine.

That said, nothing beats a good Sunday Morning Cherno Sneakysneak. Attempted a Monday Morning Berezino Sneakysneak with Telltale yesterday, it's just not the same (apart from the bit where he goes afk just in time to get shot in the back of the head).

13. julianmartin

They do some very occupied with changing clothing and things like that, which for me is very much a last priority. If they could get the zombie pathing at least basically normalised, they'd be a huge step toward progressing the genre.

14. julianmartin

Anyone played the Battle Royale mod yet? Looks cool.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I wouldn't say that, have you not seen the last dev blog. They've basically done all they can to mod the Arma AI, they've been working on it since DayZ was released, and they've come to the conclusion that the current method just can't work, so they're rebuilding it from the ground up... Its a big task.

16. adrock

I might be over DayZ. I've not had the urge to play in a few weeks now. Arma 3 is great, looks better, runs better, involves similar amounts of 'run for XX minutes to location Y' but when you get to location Y, there's stuff to do/shoot/kill/steal, rather than MAYBE some stuff to pick up and if you're lucky, some unsuspecting noob with a winchester to shoot.

and no, i don't watch the dev blogs, they're a bit like 'Lost' at this stage. they just keep going, and no matter how good and promising things were to start out with, the payoff is going to fall short of expectation.

17. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Not sure if it was worth its own thread but the standalone Alpha is available on Steam early
    access

Dayz Standalone alpha

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

ill be getting this tomorrow once paid! :D

At long last! :D

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  19. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Well-Known Member

Played it for the last hour. Pretty buggy but that's to be expected of course. Nice to see the steam integration working in the alpha for joining friends etc.

Battering people over the head with a shovel is fun, servers seem to be stable enough so far.

Here's the trailer:

PS: Collect lots of rags!

20. fuus

fuus Rocking All Year Christmas

still running arma engine?