1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asetek Waterchill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 15 May 2003.

1. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

aaah! a dim bumb brightens ;) thanks very much - i'm seriously interested into getting this set up now :)

2. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Swiftech H20 - 8500

I still prefer the swifty kit, but with shipping from the US, the cost of the AMD version (w/o the VGA cooler) from Crazy PC comes to £175, a bit steep!!! Anyone fancy clubbing together to buy a couple at once? the price per kit including shipping on an order of 2 kits comes to £160, and for 3 kits the price drops to £151, practically the same as the asetek!

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

ill have one if you are offereing :D
    oh
    was that not what you meant?

4. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

I mean i would consider buying 2 or 3 and shipping them over if i knew 1 or 2 people would buy the others off me for about £160 :D Maybe i could shift em on ebay or somethin. hmmm.....

5. Mister_Tad

hmm i may take you up on that in about 3 months or so if you are still looking for one, ill be on holiday till sept so cant really see the point of doing it now

6. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Why not just order from kustompcs.co.uk ?

7. Mister_Tad

i dont think kustompcs have the swifty kit,
    haz, have you played with the swiftiy kit before and if so how does it compare to teh asetek?

8. Iceman

Iceman Staff

As far as I know he hasn't :) I have though and although I'm a big fan of swiftech blocks, I really don't rate their kit, the pump isn't upto scratch and in general I think the swifty setups are better when custom built.

9. Mister_Tad

tbh, the only bit of the swiftech kit i fancy is the block, so i may well do a custom build when the time comes, would the swiftech block work eith the asetek kit, im assuming they are both 1/2" or are they 3/8"

10. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Iceman, you say the swifty pump isn't up to scratch, the Asetek shifts 700 l/h but the swifty pump shifts 330 GALLONS per hour, which is 1250 l/h!! :eeek: 78% MORE than the Asetek!! :rock: What makes you think that their pump isn't up to scratch?

MrHaz: cant find anything Swiftech on the kustompcs site, let alone the water cooling kit!!

MisterTad: The Swiftech water blocks are 1/2" OD or 3/8" ID tubing, the Asetek uses 10 mm / 12 mm, which works out as 0.47"OD, so may work the Swiftech blocks with a bit of PTFE tape.

11. Iceman

Iceman Staff

I mentioned in the review and as most people have delusions that flow rate is key I shall have to go over this again. The tubing for one slows flow rate from the pump massively, way below even 700l/h. Secondly a constant flow rate around a circuit is better than a varied one, hence why the asetek block is a half moon design so as to provide only a low pressure drop, the same again with the radiator. Optimal cooling performance is attained by a low pressure drop system which in turn gives a relatively constant flow rate, i'll show you the R&D docs if you need further convincing.

12. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Would quite like to see the research docs u mention. I think the only way this will be really convincingly settled is if a Hardware review site compares them head-to-head (hint hint BiT-Tech :p )

13. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Anyone interested in the Asetek or the Swiftech WC kits may find This Post useful.

14. Iceman

Iceman Staff

You can find the research documentation here There's a lot of good stuff in there and I can verify most of their testing particularly on flow rates and block design.

15. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. I've learned a couple of things:

1. Beyond a certain level (about 500 - 700 l/h), extra flow rate brings little extra cooling power.
    2. At Moderate flow rates, most water blocks perform within a couple of percent of each other (at least, at the level of dissipation of most non - TEC systems)
    3. The component which has the greatest impact upon the systems is the radiator.
      [/list=1]

The Swiftech has a higher flowrate pump (at least at the published figures of 0' head), and (arguably) the better designed waterblock, but these factors are of less consequence than the radiator, which is really what differentiates the performance of the 2 kits.
      The Swiftech MCR80-F (actually a repainted HWLabs Black Ice Micro) is rated to dissipate 275W :blah:, with the fans rated at 29 CFM :miffed:. The Asetek, on the otherhand, has a radiator (actually the condensor borrowed from the VapoChill) rated at 400W :p, with a Sunon 120mm fan rated at 107CFM!!! :eeek:

I love the look of the Swiftech, but without the bigger radiator which rumors have been spreading about may be coming as an option, the Asetek is superior in performance. Shame about the dodgy looking plastic topped block. :D

Of note is this page in the OCIA review of the Swiftech, where swapping the crappy front fan on the radiator resulted in a drop of 4°C, showing how much better the kit could be with a better radiator / fan combination.

16. Iceman

Iceman Staff

I guess the blocks are never gonna be to everyone's taste but personally I rather like the look of the Asetek blocks, just as I liked the Dangerden Maze's too.

17. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

You can get Swiftech stuff in the UK here: Swiftech Stuff

However, I've been looking around the web for watercooling stuff for a while, so before you go ahead and splash out on Swiftech be aware that according to some reviews it isn't one of the best performing solutions.

Reviews:
    Toms Hardware
    Techspot
    ModTheBox
    Overclock Intelligence Agency
    Pure OC
    WaterCooling.com
    PC Arena
    HardOCP
    Overclockers.com

Retailers and Manufacturers:
    Aquarium Pumps - Generally cheaper than PC watercooling retailers.
    Nice German stuff.
    Innovatek
    Over-Clock.co.uk
    Wizard Designs
    Wet and Chilly Chips

Nutters Corner:
    Liquid Nitrogen Cooling
    Submersion Cooling

Last edited: 23 May 2003
  18. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

mucho gracias for the linkage :lol:, I found PC Lincs yesterday too. I think i'm gonna go for Swifty blocks, and the Swifty pump (when they get it back in stock), tygon tubing, probably the swifty fill and bleed kit (if i can find the 1/2"OD version, PC Lincs only have the 3/8"), and the Thermochill HE 120.3 or 120.2 rad. The Swifty PRS kit, i can make my own version of for much cheaper with a bit of :dremel: age. Gonna cost a fair whack but what price can a man put on 1337 c00lage!! :thumb:

The toms hardware link u have, that review is of an old Swifty kit, pretty much everything is different in the new version.

19. KarrottoP

KarrottoP What's a Dremel?

:( I just stumbled upon the review of the waterchill today, but saw it a few days ago and have had no luck at getting to the asetek webpage, it must be down. But I live in the US and have no idea how to get my hands on one, I want one badly. Any ideas on how I can get one of these things across the drink?

20. sp00n

sp00n What's a Dremel?

FedEx! :D Then you will find out why us brits gripe about having to ship things from you guys across the pond: price. you are probably looking at $80 - $100 in shipping unless you can find a US distributor.

Tags: Add Tags