Assange - Acts of a guilty man?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by StingLikeABee, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Martin Luther King was an alcoholic, a gambler, an inveterate womaniser and a Communist --if you believed J. Edgar Hoover's FBI. Even a saint can be made out to be the devil if the political motivation is there --and vice-versa. I would not attach too much significance to the cult of personality.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Acting guilty doesn't make you guilty.
    Acting innocent doesn't make you innocent.

3. walle

walle Minimodder

If the charges were politically motivated then chances are they were an attempt on character assassination.

Depending on the nature of the accusation(s), permanent damage could be done to someone's character.

Assange is obviously a disliked person, more so in certain circles than others.

4. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Quite so, but if one is intentionally acting guilty, then one cannot criticise those who presume guilt.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

There's a huge difference between clearly false allegations and apparently credible ones.

Plus what we should do and what we do do are two very different things, it's all too convenient to judge an organisation by its frontman.

6. Nexxo

What is the difference between clearly false and clearly credible allegations, except our own credulity?

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Clearly not all the information we hear about the man is false. I am saying it is not a long stretch of the imagination for me to believe these allegations, or at least nothing I have read has conflicted whith my general impression of him hence I think they are preying on his weaknesses rather than purely inventing nonsense.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

We saw the Arab Spring which saw a huge political shift in the middle east. The BBC ran a two part documentary on the effects of the wiki leaks release and the activists who started the revolution directly cited the leaks as one of the major causes.

9. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

He lost his extradition to Sweden appeal. If he goes there he could be extradited to America, which will keep him in solitary confinement for decades. That is what he is running from.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

He could only be extradited if Sweden and the UK agree to it. Currently he could be extradited to the US if the UK alone agreed to it. Things do not add up with regards to this assertion.

That said, I don't think he's guilty of rape, I just think he's paranoid.

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

You've never watched The Fugitive, have you...

12. StingLikeABee

That supposition has been challenged, with some pretty convincing arguments against the claims.

I agree. I really don't think the Sweden/ US extradition theory holds enough water to be a convincing argument for me.

I have yes, and a damned good film it was too. It can hardly be compared to the case of Assange and his actions though, surely?

13. Nexxo

What SuicideNeil is suggesting is that people who know that others know that they are guilty, an people who think that others think that they are guilty an basically behave in the same way.

But I think it is paranoia. Let's assume that he knows he is guilty, and is not afraid of extradition. What is the worst that can happen? He gets found guilty of sexual assault and does a few years tops in a mellow Swedish prison. Instead he is choosing a lifetime in exile in some poor foreign nation where he has no friends, family, means of income and does not even speak the language. It does not add up.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  14. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Can you post your sources that no one has died from the leaks? If so please link them. And you have no idea who was put in danger.:nono:

I'm not trying to be an ass but your basing this on assumption.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  15. StingLikeABee

You are missing a few points in your argument though Nexxo. If he was found guilty, he would face ridicule from the very same press that he craves the attention from, and would face coming out of prison as someone that time has forgotten, or at the least drawing less attention from the public. I would also hazard a guess that the plan to relocate to the poor foreign country would ensure that short term interest would not wane, with the possibility that he could try and remain in the media's interest. Given his attention seeking habits I think the above motives would most likely have crossed his mind at the least.

16. StingLikeABee

The New York Times ran a story on the dangers of the leaked material, after having studied it, and concluded:

Another newspaper, the Guardian, claimed that they too found information within the documents that could put Afghan informants lives in danger.

Obviously, we would be very lucky to hear how many of these informants fared in the aftermath of the publication, as it would be in the interests of both the intelligence services and Wikileaks to suppress any evidence relating to this. Should just one informant be exposed, it makes the job of recruiting new informants many times more difficult.

Source: http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/v...rJz-VHBf0xtDC4_d0L_oQ#search="assange shield"

17. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Again, I think you are minimising his chances of extradition to the US from Sweden, and the obvious consequences this will incur for him.

Are you trying to suggest that, even with his legal team, supporters and understanding of power systems, that he's acting alone as some kind of loony paranoid twit by seeking refuge in Ecuador?

Come on, as if that is true! He must surely have been told that now he's lost his extradition to Sweden case, this will very likely mean extradition to the States, and secondly, that there are no alternatives than to seek political asylum in an embassy in the UK, or try to take it to the EU Court of Human Rights, to prevent his imminent capture by the States.

I mean, it's pretty clear they're serious about getting him when the Chair of Obama's intelligence committee, Dianne Feinstein, has said they're going to prosecute him under the 1917 Espionage Act. His administration are still dealing with bringing about a full prosecution case.

So I think you're massively underestimating what he has on his plate here.

18. Mechh69

My point exactly peoples lives were carelessly put in danger. And no one can deny that there is serious danger to informants. So I think he should be jailed for reckless endangerment at the least, if not attempted murder/attempted man slaughter.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I deny it. You want to assert that bring evidence. Attempted murder is a ridiculous claim. You've said a lot in this thread but you haven't provided a scrap of evidence, and as far as I'm concerned that makes your claims rubbish.

You want me or anyone else reading this thread to think your claims are something other than nonsense, you'll need to bring some evidence to the table.

20. Mechh69

StingLikeABee actually provided evidence to support the claim, look in the post above yours. When you purposely endanger peoples lives you should be punished for it.

I will not post any more on this thread for personal reasons.