1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus G73 Gaming Laptop Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 2 Jun 2010.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

If all you want is a gaming laptop then you can* get a Mesh 17" gaming laptop with the following specs:

- Core i5 520m
    - HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    - 4GB memory
    - 640GB HD
    - Blu Ray Drive
    - 17" 1680x1050 display
    - MSI GT1722 chassis (very good)
    - Win 7 HP etc

All for £999 inc VAT.

Whilst it isn't quite as well specced as the Asus in terms of all round ability, it will certainly be potent enough to keep up whilst gaming. The extra £800 in your back pocket is welcome as well.

* I say can as its available although I don't know how long the lead times are.

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Thats actually VERY good value for money! shame they dont have a 3 yr warranty option, but still its an excellent choice for a budget of £1000

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Indeed. The warranty is a bit of a negative but given the spec and the price I think its acceptable.

The only annoyance I would have is the inability to customize it. You can click customize but it just brings up the list of current components with no further options.

4. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Absolutely, though if i was spending £1000 on a laptop i would expect it to last 2 years before i require an upgrade, hence with this one im hoping to get 3 years before an upgrade is required, so its pretty relative as far as the price range to warranty goes

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

now that 8/10 value, shame its in one of those hideous msi chassis
    i've not looked at just the other msi gaming laptops i've seen are not to my taste whilst the g73 is
    i'm waiting to see what gpu the asus g51/53 will be coming with, same design as g73 but 15 inch and nvidia it seems

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

One of my close friends replaced his previous gen top-specced 17" unibody mbp with this as a desktop replacement, and it is indeed a very nice desktop replacement, and it performs great! BUT comparing the build quality of the two is like comparing a lada to a maybach! There is crazy flex in the body, and it does not feel that well built! I wouldnt buy this if portability is a big factor, alas it is more suitable as a desktop replacement! Although I might add that it is a wonderful desktop replacement, and it looks far better in the flesh than in pictures!

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

True 'gaming' laptops like this that are in the pricerange of £1800 - £2000 should never have a value rating of more than 4 or 5. That doesn't mean they are poor products, just look at the 'crazy but cool' reviews in custom pc magazine. Just because some product is poor value for money doesn't mean it isn't desirable.

Then again, i think the best value for money in terms of general purpose laptops is in the £600 - £900 range.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hideous MSI Chassis?! I take it you mean hideous in the way it looks. There is certainly nothing hideous about the way it does its job (excellent cooling, build quality and dimensions given the spec contained within).

9. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I think you guys should start to measure battery capacity in Wh rather than mAh as mAh is meaningless as a measurement of energy capacity of a battery. Alternatively provide battery voltages so those who can be bothered can get an idea of the capacity of the battery.

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

They're just reporting things as they come. Nothing's stopping you from checking the battery's voltage on Asus's website itself, and most people are probably far more interested in how long it lasts, than how much charge the battery has, since anyone with a laptop that I know personally has used the battery that came with their laptop, and have not bought a larger Wh one.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

it deservs its 4 outta 10 for value £2k for a laptop that gives 15 fps in crysis at not even native resolution

its a gaming laptop and for £1k you can get close to this level of performance

12. klimtog88

klimtog88 What's a Dremel?

I paid CANADIAN $1099.00 for this laptop. Synnex Ret tag open box.

The store I work at sells them for $1650/$1750 depending on model (at about %11 markup)

They are better value than any laptop I've ever seen?

13. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

That would be ok except for the fact that their site doesn't seem to have the battery voltage. Comparing running times works only if they are listed in the article, if you want to compare to a laptop not reviewed by bit-tech then you can't.

I just saw that the Wh figure and the voltage was printed on my laptop battery so I thought this would be useful information to be included in the articles instead of meaningless mAh numbers.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Utterly pointless. How I loath laptops made for gaming. So much fail.. for SO much money.

Tags: Add Tags