1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus Striker2 Formula Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ChEsTeH, 5 Apr 2008.

1. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

I have a strange problem with my computer at the moment, I currently have 4 GIG of Kingston HyperX 1066 ram installed in my system which the Mobo correctly detects, However when I get into Windows (XP) 32bit it shows in windows that I have 3GIG installed is there any straight forward answer to this ?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Please use the forum search before posting.

Windows XP and ANY OTHER 32-bit operating system on this planet cannot use 4Gb of RAM due to your CPU limitations, and standards set years ago.
    When you see Windows XP is compatible with 4GB of RAM, it means it won't give you a BSOD at startup, nothing more.

The solution to your problem is a 64-bit OS. Vista 64-bit will perfectly fit your needs. Moreover, you will unlock the full potential of your 64-bit CPU (I presume you have one, such as an AMD Athlon 64 single and dual core CPU's or the Intel Core 2 Duo, or Quad Core), be able to support future DirectX 10 games (you need a compatible DX10 video card to use it, else you will use DirectX 9 like under WinXP). In addition, you will be able to run 64-bit applications.
    As far as Windows XP to Vista, you will only lose 5 fps at most in your games, however Vista will be far more responsive, easier and faster install, the 64-bit edition of the OS, is fully done in 64-bit, from Media Center, to Media Player, passing by Windows Mail even, are all in 64-bit (by default the 32-bit is set to run), and unlike XP, everything utilize your multi-core CPU (task could be shared between CPU's, instead of having the CPU or Windows send the task to each core), and the OS itself also takes full advantage of it. I can go on, with a super long list of new features, however this is not the topic, and I think another thread would be best, for such question. And to top things over, you have way more than enough RAM for even disabling Windows page file, which leads to increase system performance.

If your system is fairly new, or was high-end computer from early 2006, from "trusted" brands like ASUS, than Vista 64-bit will works perfectly. Just make sure your printer and other peripherals, have Vista 64-bit drivers (note: you cannot install 32-bit drivers in Windows Vista 64-bit). If everything is there, you will like Windows Vista by far form XP and never look back, like everyone that tried it here.

3. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Many thanks for the reply, I had a feeling that it was something to do with 32bit Windows. But a friend of mine told me it should not effect it, I will take pleasure in correcting him now. :)