1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ATI Radeon HD 6870 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Oct 2010.

1. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Common sense isn't very common

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Wasn't the original question "why aren't bit-tech using Crysis as a benchmark?"

As i understand it (i may be wrong though) Warhead uses a tweaked version of the original Crytek 'CryEngine', which is better optimised and probably worth supporting in driver updates?

Saying that, it would be good to see Warhead used as a test game at least, although most people would want their current favourite games tested, so someone could be pretty busy doing GPU tests :)

3. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I think people got over excited because they brought out their next generation graphics within one year. It hasnt changed much in performance at all... I mean a whole new 6xxx series over its 5xxx series graphics should have done something considerable. It hasnt. Its just a couple frames faster/slower in a couple areas, and for £200 is just stupid. If you have a 5xxx series card, you'd be a fool to waste it on the 6xxx series

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:rock: One of my favourite quotes :D.

I don't think these cards are aimed at people who already have a 5850 or 5870, more for people on the 48 series or lower, it's an interesting approach imo for a new gen & not a bad one, my 5870's in crossfire handle just about any game with max settings @ 1080p minus the likes of metro 2033. I've seen the 6870's for a little as £170 so I think it's excellent.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i am not pleased with AMD's decision to go single dual-link-DVI and mini-displayports.

normal sized displayports please, monitor give them out for free, so we should be able to use it.

and why must the customers guess which DVI port can support their display?

hope 6900 can provide us with some sense. namely competitive tessellation performance, full fat DVI ports and proper sized displayports.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Persicely what I think, I for one skipped the 5 series to wait for the 6 series, why because there wasnt to many DX11 games, the 5 series was new tech, and my two 4870 1GB in CF played EVERY game on the market at Max or close to high settings so I saw no point in wasting money so the 6 series is ideal for me to upgrade and I end up getting my moneys worth because the 6870 is pretty much equal to the performance of my two 4870.

7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

:/ apparently wit is in even shorter supply

8. HourBeforeDawn

Actually its funny but you can link the decline in common sense with the rise of technology, a push button society where everything can be handed to you with out needing to do it yourself but thats a topic for another thread lol.

Material likes this.
  9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hmm that should be a topic in the serious discussion

Material likes this.
  10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

My own stupidity and idleness are not in question, I freely admit it to all (and an answer of sorts was handed to me in the end so your theory is now proven!). But in this case is an estimate really the best way to decide whether to spend £200 or not? I don't think so.

11. HourBeforeDawn

I dont remember are you the person thats from Portugal? well anyhow I suppose it depends on what your upgrading from, if you have an nvidia 460 or higher then no, if you have a 5850 or higher then again no but if you have anything lower or older then that then it could be worth the upgrade.

12. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

This makes me pretty gutted that I recently spent double on a 5870 which is almost identical. :(

13. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I want HD6970 right now!

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I know this has been discussed to death but and I realise the reasons for leaving out crysis. I don't play any of the games benchmarked in these reviews and therefore I have nothing to compare to.

A vantage benchmark or at least one of the generic benchmarks would have been good...

15. HourBeforeDawn

right but this is why there are many other review sites, i mean you shouldnt base your decision on one review site and since Bit-Tech staff doesnt want to budge on the Crysis and Vantage thing then thats just what we have to do.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

17. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I just noticed that ebuyer have taken the Sapphire 6870 off their product list. I'm intrigued as to why. Perhaps they realised they'd forgotten to add VAT to their price?

Overclockers and Scan both have the card for £173 - £174 + VAT, ebuyer sold theirs at £176 including VAT.

18. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Sounding pretty defensive there. Some of what you say is true but we still want it.

I keep warhead handy just to reinstall if I ever get a card that can handle it on very high with 4 x AA. See similar comments to this all the time. Some of the effects in those games still beat anything I have seen since.

And by the way point number three is out and out incorrect. Perhaps you should check a few recent driver release notes.

19. HourBeforeDawn

ya its funny, its the viewers/readers that bring the money to Bit-Tech and made them what they are and when the majority says there is a game they would like to see you would think it would be in Bit-Tech best interest to do so.

20. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

:O

No Crysis benchmarks???

Tags: Add Tags