1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BaDassumption - Photo Shoot...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by dutchcedar, 8 May 2006.

1. GoTaLL

GoTaLL What's a Dremel?

i love it.. :)

2. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys... its certainly fun... :hip:

Main Pod Front Bezel... the grunt work...

For starters, there's a bit of grunt work to do... squaring things up and such. Its a little more severe on the main pod because, well, its bigger... This is a shot of the gap between the front bezel and the main pod. There's certainly some prep work to do...

[​IMG]

And here you can see that not only does the bezel need to be trimmed, but it isn't square, either...

[​IMG]

First, I took the pod apart and checked each of the (eight) corners of the sheetmetal sections for squareness. Some needed to get pulled out, but here is one corner getting pulled in with a bar clamp. Notice I've clamped it down where the bend needs to be...

[​IMG]

Although squaring the corners helped a lot, the edges of the pod needed to be squared up a bit too... 120 grit on the air sander...

[​IMG]

Then it was over to the belt sander with some 50 grit to pare the bezel down to the marks. 3/4" aluminum takes patience... :dremel:

[​IMG]

Including the half circle for the after-market Harley Davidson tachometer pod... which wanted to "bounce" quite a bit on the end of the belt sander...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jan 2007
  3. dutchcedar

Main Pod Front Bezel... the grunt work... continued

Aye, the tach pod fits in the bezel pretty well now...

[​IMG]

So I marked out the backside of the tach pod's shape onto the pod's top half and cut it out with the jig saw... the stiffener board is to keep it from waffling...

[​IMG]

After some fine tuning with a few files, it fits pretty good...

[​IMG]

Here's that edge I showed you earlier after some fine tuning... and yes, its square now... :thumb:

[​IMG]

I think its time for some more router work... :hip:

[​IMG]

4. dutchcedar

A Few Odds and Ends

If you had keen eyes, you'd have noticed the top edge of the main pod was "droopy"... I hadn't made support angles yet, but especially when the bubble top hole gets cut, it'll need them... so off to the band saw...

[​IMG]

After cutting and mounting some of mnpctech's hex modder's mesh under the angles, we have this for the backside of the Main Pod bezel...

[​IMG]

And to the PSU Pod bezel

[​IMG]

Teaser pic... :hip:

[​IMG]

There's a reason I'm not describing the optical pod... stay tuned for why... I think you'll love it... its one my favorites... :hip:

5. dutchcedar

Bulkhead Barbed Fittings

O.K., I put off the router work. I wanted to get all the piddly schtuff out of the way that's part of the front bezel first and they never seem to be finished... :duh:

So... the spacing between the fins of the bulkhead barbs made by Alpine Machine is 1/8". I came up with a nifty way of mounting them that allows them to be adjustable in and out while keeping them fixed in position.

[​IMG]

Using a couple of left-over pieces of 1/8" thick black anodized aluminum from the original BaDass, I nibbled at these "half holes" on the band saw and finished them with a Dremel drum sander...

[​IMG]

After a little more bandsaw shaping...

[​IMG]

And there ya go... :hip:

[​IMG]

6. dutchcedar

Routering the Front Bezel...

I cut and fit some small pieces of wood in the voids to allow the router to pass through straight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First cuts were with the 1/8" roundover bit on the inside...

[​IMG]

The next cuts were with a 45 degree bevel bit, because doing this on the belt sander was well, getting old... :idea:

[​IMG]

The 1/2" roundover bit...

[​IMG]

Through the sanding grades to 220...

[​IMG]

No bondo, baby... :hip:

[​IMG]

7. dutchcedar

Dome Ring... part One

Okey dokey... more machining without a mill... :hip:

First, I cut a pattern from 3/4" plywood on the bandsaw that matches a bit more than half of the inside of the dome ring, screwed it down and clamped the dome ring in place... this allows the router bit's guide bearing to run on something other than the bottom of the 1/4" thick aluminum ring...

[​IMG]

Then... very slowly... ran the router around with that new rabbeting bit... set to 1/8" deep...

Poor Porsche is getting tired of being showered with aluminum shavings... when this is done, I'll give her a good scrubbin'...

[​IMG]

Ending up with this...

[​IMG]

Next, I shaved an eigth of an inch off of the dome's flange, using the belt sander...

[​IMG]

And there we have it, the dome is flush with the bottom of the ring... :hip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Wow, this is fantastic, i love the mods with everythign being precise, and machined (or not) to perfection.
    I hope to see some more posts, and i cant wait for the finished project.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

This is a very slick case. I love it. I will definately be keeping my eyes on this one.

To go out on a limb here I'd say this one has the potential to be on par with Dark Blade for sheer craftsmanship of fabrication except it's mostly done by hand. Keep it up.

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Wow - this is a superb and very original piece of work which I'll definitely be following :thumb:

11. dutchcedar

Hehe... Dark Blade... :thumb:

I'm gonna jump around a "Bit", because it might make better sense of things...

Let's go to those front outriggers...

Mounting the Pump... part 1

Here's the arrangement we're gonna use in the front... everything's just "propped up"... getting the tubes to those bulkhead fittings in a small amount of room involved a lot of head scratchin' and discussions with the 'support team". The solution came in the way of a PolarFLO chipset block and the use of one of the dome's hinge brackets (they're getting redone, so this is a spare)...

[​IMG]

The first thing I wanted to tackle is the chipset cooler that's just there to turn the plumbing around 180 degrees... the stock bracket wasn't gonna cut it.

I started by drilling a 1-1/2" hole in a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum... but the hole saw went dull. So, after drilling a 1/2" hole (the size of the router's guide bearing)... I plunged a 1-1/2" diameter rabbit bit through, using the plunge base on the router... anything to save a trip to the hardware store (a long drive)...

[​IMG]

Then the tricky part... to get an edge on the hole to match the thickness of the stock bracket, I drilled a 3/4" hole in a piece of plywood and centered the hole in the plate right over it. Then, set the router to cut 3/16" deep and spun it around the hole... we have a ledge... :hip:

[​IMG]

Then I cut the bracket's shape out on the bandsaw, cleaned it up on the belt sander, drilled and countersunk a couple holes...

From the left... the stock bracket, the new bracket, the cooling block's base and cover...

[​IMG]

And fit together...

[​IMG]

Sitting in place (balancing... ) on the beginnings of her support bracket that will mount to the outrigger...

[​IMG]

12. customh

customh conflagration.

Looks sweet.

13. dutchcedar

Mounting the Pump... part 2

Here's the collection of parts I made up to mount the pump between the outriggers...

[​IMG]

The base (center top) was cut on the bandsaw from 3/8" aluminum plate, drilled and tapped to fit...

Below that is a rubber pad for the pump.

Below that is a 1/4" thick aluminum plate to sandwich the rubber pad.

The little gizmo to the left is the "nerf bar"... cut from that R/C truck base nabbed off of eBay... :hip: It mounts like this...

[​IMG]

Here's how the outriggers attach to the front bezel, screws go through counterbored holes right into the edge of the cutouts in the bezel... so this shot is from below... hope it makes sense.

[​IMG]

Some pics of it put together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TomboyMS

TomboyMS What's a Dremel?

Wow. Imagination, craftsmanship, and a great modding spirit...can't beat that combo.

Great name too.

15. dutchcedar

^^^ Thanks... :hip:

Radiator Shroud... part 1...

The idea here is to build a stable shroud that's not only insulated to help keep things quiet, but strong enough to stand on its own.

The goal is to make it kinda look like this...

[​IMG]

Disclaimer... I've never done anything like this before, so some of you who have might laugh...

The pod will be fiberglass, so we're gonna start by making a mold for the inside of the pod. It will have a cut-down 120mm Panaflo fan and the BIX radiator on the inside of it. The final shape of the pod will be built up over the fiberglass shell made from this mold.

Cutting off a piece of 6 x 8 Douglas Fir...

[​IMG]

Squaring it up on the table saw...

[​IMG]

Chisel work on the corners...

[​IMG]

After a bit of time on the belt sander...

[​IMG]

16. dutchcedar

Radiator Shroud... part 2...

It came time to fix some sizes, so out with the bondo...

[​IMG]

And so this is what we have, remember... the fan and radiator will be inside of this, but I used them to double check sizes...

[​IMG]

Much painting and sanding later...

[​IMG]

Then mounted to a piece of plywood and caulked at the seam...

[​IMG]

And the first lay-up of fiberglass (with not enough catalyst)...

[​IMG]

Popped out of the mold and cut to fit the radiator... not very pretty, but it fits and its pretty danged strong...

[​IMG]

17. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is quite the amazing mod! Simply amazing all across the board. Keep up the awesome work, I'll be watching!

18. dutchcedar

Radiator Shroud... part 3...

This is going to take a few stages to finish, but the plan is to build-up the shroud into a more attractive shape and one that accepts that aluminum ring in front, modders mesh and a prop spinner.

I'm starting at the radiator's end...

First was ripping down some clear Cherry 1 x 3 stock to the width of the radiator... originally for cabinet door frame stock, that already has a groove machined into it... more on the groove later...

Next the pieces were mitered and glued up in a miter jig...

[​IMG]

Some Devcon epoxy about to get mixed up for the deed...

[​IMG]

And finally, into some clamps for an overnight set...

[​IMG]

I cut the wood ring on the bandsaw from a piece of 3/4" thick Birch plywood... the aluminum ring was watercut from 3/4" plate...

[​IMG]

The inlet ring set-up and glued in place...

[​IMG]

And there we have it... for now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I dug into the ole' ship model supplies for some Basswood strips and glued them with Super-Jet... this is what the slots were for and they did help quite a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dutchcedar

Radiator Shroud... part 4...

Then it was covered with foam... that grew... and grew... jeebany it just grew... :hip:

[​IMG]

After a little carving with a steak knife (don't tell my wife) and some sanding with the orbital sander, we have this...

[​IMG]

Then... an inner ring was cut to give the outer aluminum ring a full bearing surface... parts of the inner ring (my brain flash) are pretty danged fragile...

[​IMG]

With some bondo, its taking shape... :hip:

[​IMG]

The saga continues... Because the plan is to lay a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin over this shroud after the final shape is roughed out, the outer diameter of the inlet had to be pared down a bit, or the build-up would end up to be larger than the aluminum ring. So with luck, a roll of tape happened to be the perfect size for the inlet and another roll of tape was perfect for the width. With the two together, I got a nice circle drawn on the face...

[​IMG]

Then I set up a guide clamped to the belt sander to kind of keep the proper angle of the dangle while slowly spinning the shroud and sanding it to the line...

[​IMG]

I tried to get some fabric over the back part of the shroud, but it got way too messy. I was concerned about strengthening those mitered corners but, oh well... it ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, the cloth is well laid over the the tapered portion of the shroud and coated with "bond coat" resin. Tomorrow, after its set-up well, I'll sand down the big lumps and lay on a layer of "finish coat" resin. After that its a skim coat of bondo and then primer...

And no, I didn't think of sliding that 2x4 inside of it until I realized that holding it with a plastic glove covered hand wasn't gonna work well for too long...

[​IMG]

20. dutchcedar

Radiator Shroud... part 5...

Bored yet? :hip:

Here it is with a "semi" final layer of bondo and primer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the inlet ring, I started by using a 1/2" round over bit in the router for the outside... then a 1/8" round over bit on the inside... this is after cutting with the 1/2" bit and getting ready for the 1/8" bit...

[​IMG]

After some 80 grit on the air powered orbital sander...

[​IMG]

Then down to fine emery cloth on the electric orbital sander...

[​IMG]

This is kinda what I'm going for, with more of mnpctech modders mesh and a model airplane aluminum prop spinner fixed to the mesh...

[​IMG]