1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Batman game behind Pandemic closure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais New Member

prime example of why I dislike EA.
    I would be mighty pissed, myself, if a decent way into a game, I had a parent company tell me to make something almost completely different. I don't get why they can't just put the old batman game away, start the whole new one that EA wanted, then pick up on the old one after they've finished.

3. tominated

tominated New Member

god, the mogul's at ea are *******s. I love pandemic, mainly cos i live in the same city and cos the destroy all humans game the childrens hospital had on xbox kept me smiling through chemo (it was awesome)

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Destroy all humans was awesome.

I think a general Batman game may have been better than a Dark Knight game. Games based on movies are ****, 9 times out of 10.

It's a pity, but Parent Company(Greed - Common Sense) = failure generally.

5. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah New Member

Sorry, but EA was right on this, pandemic wasted a tonne of resources and showed terrible project management. EA ahters are everywhere, I am one, but in this case cannot fault EA. (Sits back and waits for EA haters to flood the thread).

6. CardJoe

For once, I'd take Leper's side in this. It seems foolish to buy a license like this, not use it to make a licensed game and then be surprised that when you owner finds out they disagree with you. Then to make a game you have no experience in making, with technology unsuitable for the task? P'sha!

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Eh, what if the six months of non-Dark Knight game they had was good? If they'd be able to complete that, there would have been a game out there, at least. EA made then toss it, so blame can be firmly laid at EAs feet on that front.

But it seems like once EA laid the law down about it being a Dark Knight game, Pandemic made a raft of poor decisions.

8. CardJoe

A company that decides to make a branch into a new genre at short notice, with an impending deadline and no experience, using an unsuitable engine tends not to make all that great decisions in general, I'd say. Pandemic has made some good games in the past, but not for a while IMHO.

9. Artanix

Artanix puts the king in Lurking.

Well it depends to be honest. IF pandemic are ment to make EA aware of projects they're working, then yeah, pandemic are in the wrong. You can't work for 6 months on some project that EA are funding equipment, time, etc. for without telling them. But i don't know how the games industry works, but from the fact EA let pandemic keep everything in the office, i'd expect a fair amount of it to be funded by EA.

Otherwise yeah, EA shouldn't come in and change a project thats 6 months done already, theres not really enough info to make a good decision on who was the ass here. Its just so easy to point the finger at EA

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It was a combination of both sides screwing up, EA shouldn't have made them throw away 6 months work to make a game of the movie that would have missed the movie by a long way (if you're going to make a game of the movie you really want to have it released while it's still in the cinema). As you say, Pandemic shouldn't have tried to do a genre alien to them if they were on a very strict deadline, but the first major screwup with was EA, if EA was gonna make them throw away 6 months of work, the least they could have done was renew the license to allow them to have that 6 months back.

11. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

As much as I dislike how EA runs a lot of things, this sounds like there were bad decisions all around. Deciding to go with an entirely new game design, that one has never done, with a hard deadline after throwing out 6 months of effort...that's a recipe for failure. I would hope that this was a case of EA mandating all this stupidity rather than Pandemic saying "oh sure, how tough can it be..." as the latter would show really really poor decision making on the part of the production team.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Perhaps Pandemic wrongfully assumed EA would renew the license, I mean, it's not like EA to turn down churning out a game of the movie.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

why didn't they make this game like the punisher or like max pain? that would totally rock!!!

14. identikit

identikit Active Member

No I don't think so. EA wanted the game out at December for two reasons, not having to pay massive sums of money to keep the license and to release it when the Dark Knight was fresh and getting a DVD release. I gotta say though Pandemic screwed up so badly, you cannot fault EA for cutting them loose to stop loosing money. If you are a games dev keep your publisher happy. Don't go working in secret for 6 months!

15. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

ah that sucks.. ea runs a tight business (as in rusty wallet tight)- when they took over the c&c franchise you saw how the patches went from good with player feedback.. to nothing- but on the other hand they supply the money to get the games finished so I guess they can do whatever they want!

16. metarinka

metarinka New Member

If you're interested in video game development this should be a case study for how to produce a disasterous game

Tags: Add Tags