1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield Heroes to have just two maps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

at least it is free....

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

im both excited and irked at the same time. looks like a fun game, but the fact that TF2 is out there just really bothers me. its just EA.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

just two? at least make it somethin reasonable like 4 maps! That basically means (most likely) strike at karkand equivalent for infantry map and wake island for an air map where a few players hog the planes and whup everyone else standing on the ground twidling their thumbs.

shame. and i was really looking forward to this too.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

at least it's free...... let's have a go at BF games and see what's the fuzz is all about

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

As long as they plan to add more maps or a level editor then I'm happy.

7. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Like the bloke said (in a round about sort of way) - why bother spending time and money developing maps for a free game, that may not even be a hit and lose EA money? Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

So long as they're two good maps I'm not really bothered.

I'm also not that bothered about it "ripping off" TF2, at first I was, but now I've gone into it a bit more I like it. Yeah it's cartoony, but TF2 wasn't the first either, and that's basically where the similarities end, the actual cartoon style and graphics are different. They've gone for almost a WW2 pinup art style which fits really well.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The main problem with it only being two maps is replayability, if you get bored of the two maps or if they aren't to your style of play then you won't play the game free or not. Given that this time the games profitability comes from how many times the game is started (from ads on the web start page) you would think they'd put some more effort into keeping people, i suppose they might just do that with new content but who trusts EA to produce freebies and patches? By the same engine is this the BF2 engine?

10. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

This is horrific news.

Dont think for a minute that the maps will be like Karkand on BF2... Have you all seen the graphics engine this 'free' game uses. Its cartoonish, old, and to top it off... in 3rd person. Having seen the video I was not impressed at all. In the slightest. This is no TF2 clone, its a step backward by far.

This game seriously doesnt deserve to use the Battlefield title. It is a farce.

Even BF2 and 2142 didnt come with enough maps to stop you getting bored. It doesnt matter how good the maps are... they will get boring pretty quick if thats all you have access to. EA's reasoning in this case is pathetic. They just cannot be bothered.

Just hurry up and finish the real BF3.. and do a decent job of it this time.. none of this 'patch it ad-hoc for a year' until it works.

11. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

The good thing is it looks interesting, the bad is that it's EA. They're doomed to screw it somehow.

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

to be honest, if the game had big maps like bf2 did, then yes, people end up playing the same map. i know Strike at Karkand as well as i know my back garden, but when games use smaller maps like tf2 you need a few to cycle

13. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

pfft, it`s free what do you expect. It`ll be cheap to produce they`ll see if the business madel works or not. Ea aren`t really about games they`re about managers making money, but hey the whole industry appears to be going that way now.

I for one am looking forward to it, I loved bf2 and think tf2 is ace. Yes they`re copying the genre but you can`t copyright a style thank god!!
    If it`s good that only makes the market place more competitive, if it`s crap it`ll die off quickly...simple

14. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Actually thinking about it, if done right it could be a really clever way to end game piracy. If the game is free in the first place they don`t lose anything right?

Better quality games at a cheaper price with more profits going to the developers. The only thing that worries me is how they`ll handle the advertising. I HATE advertising!

15. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

"The two best maps," By who's judgement? This could really flop if they choose two maps that they think are the best but the gamer community as a whole don't like. Micro-transactions or not, if most people don't like the maps, who is going to pay for the upgrades?

16. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

What?! This goes from bad to worse.

I will NEVER play this game, on principal. Frankly I've been completely put off DICE altogether lately.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hey, they're trying something new. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but I applaud thenm at least giving a new business model a shot.

Tags: Add Tags