News BBFC: New system won't cause delays, price hikes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Wait.... PEGI is optional, and the BBFC will only rate a game which is rated 12+ by PEGI?

So, if you wanted to avoid your (most likely) 12+ game being subjected to BBFC rating (which could still cause delays and almost definitely will increase costs to the publisher).. all you have to do is opt-out of PEGI...

Something doesn't seem right to me about this.

3. CardJoe

That's right - but most retailers will only stock a game which is rated, so having an unrated game is commercial suicide (See: Manhunt 2)

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Ahh, that's fair enough then.. I suppose.

Some retailers are morons though.. I was refused purchase of Tony Hawks 3 when I was 14 because PEGI (or it might have been a different one back then) gave it a 15+ rating... Not even legally binding, but the guy told me I needed to be 15 to buy it.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

... then do what everyone does... tell your parents/older brother/older sister/ older friend to get it for you.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

That's what I did do.. but that's besides the point... The point is he refused to sell it to me for no real reason.

7. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

"no real reason" ?? If the game was rated 15+ and you were 14 years old, then he should NOT sell it too you and the very real reason was that you were not old enough to buy the game. Whether you disagree with the rating that the game had gotten is a completely different story. The fact that the sales guy actually checked your age is a credit to him and whatever shop he worked in as that very rarely happens.

8. CardJoe

The point is that, from what Timmy says, that he was refused purchase of a product he could legally buy because of lax and misunderstood ratings systems. If it was ONLY a PEGI rating of 15 then it isn't legally enforced (though it might be store policy) and the store should sell it to him.

9. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

BBFC will never be a eu wide rating (like PEGI) so having to do 2 ratings for just UK will delay things & cost more unless you are long releasing a game in the UK or everywhere in the EU except the UK.

This scheme WILL screw over the UK games industry - I wish the idiots campaigning for it would think more Europe wide than just the UK. It'll delay UK releases - depressing UK business, it'll cause problems for UK publishers meaning more reason to leave the country and it'll create a 2 tier situation that will stop games being released in the UK.
    It's DUMB.

10. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Oh and agree with Dr Strangelove - it was a 15 game, PEGI ratings should be enforced by law if not they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    If a game is for over 15's - only over 15's should be able to play it.

11. Timmy_the_tortoise

But it's not legally enforced.. And it was Tony Hawk's for christ's sake.. The guy should have used some common sense..

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's supposed to be a reccomendation to parents, no more, same with the US version. Interestingly, if you decide not to give your game a PEGI rating, the BBFC will rate (or not rate if they think the game doesn't need a rating) it anyway.

13. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

the fact that he was refused purchase is NOT against the law - if the company has a policy of not selling a 15 game to under 15's then it is their right to do so. u seem to think that u can "force" a shop to sell u something they class you as being too young for? well believe or not the shop has rights and they were just excercising them :)

good on em for standing by the ratings sytem that is available to them

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The shop could have chosen not to sell it to you because you had the wrong shoes on, it doesn't matter! They can do whatever the hell they like, it's their shop. I honestly can't see much difference, I mean the BBFC rate any game over 15 on the PEGI at the moment, right? And they're going to rate every game that's 12 and over? In all honesty I can't imagine that'll be much of a difference.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

If he'd explained it was due to store policy, I might not have branded him a moron.. But he made it seem as though it was illegal to sell it to me.. and either way.. it was TONY HAWK'S 3! Common sense HAS to come in somewhere down the line.

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The store *could* have sold the game. Whether they *should* have is a separate matter entirely.

And who gave Tony Hawks a 15 certificate?

17. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I don't understand why people think this is going to screw over games in the UK. Most publishers will have a fair idea of what rating a game will get so, in reality, they can get it rated by PEGI and the BBFC at the same time. And there is absolutely no way the cost would ever be passed on to the consumer - the price per unit is so low its irrelevant.

All EA and Microsoft are doing is spreading misinformation because its something they don't want to be bothered with essentially. If your trying to find problems with the market place in the UK you should be pointing your fingers squarely at the publishers.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's what I do all the time

I just throw the game in my moms cart and tell her I'll pay her back when we get home, works every time :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags